British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iand

Plymouth 2018

Cracking start by Plymouth regarding team plans for next year. Local riders Richard Andrews and crowd favourite Henry Atkins named earlier this week. Also named today on the BSPA site Adam Roynon Plymouths rider of the year last season. With local ex-rider Matt Bates taking over from Laurence Rogers as team manager. Looks like the Devils are on the up. Looking forward to a good season next year.

27 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

It's the same team as last year and it wasn't that successful in the league.

Your comment noted but means very little. The Plymouth fans are very pleased to have their speedway and that is the main thing.

Adam Roynon is a great person for the youngsters to look up to. The area,especially Cornwall has brought on some very good grasstrack riders. Has anyone heard of Chris Harris or a certain Mr Barker? There was very little chance for young talent to progress into speedway but these two had a great little set up neat St Austell. Henry Atkins has progressed a great deal in one season after performing on grass and being mascot at Somerset. He is a Devon boy.

How many more around? Also Plymouth have over 20 points in hand so who else may they sign?

Living in Dorset, but I am a Plymouthian, I wish them all the best for the coming season. I will not be able to see them too often but will try and get there a couple of meetings. This will be easier as Poole and Somerset will be racing on fixed days.

47 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Campos, Sealey , Portwood all rode for IofW last year and finished bottom of the league. Plymouth came within a point of winning the NT last year with them 3 in the team.

Yeah they did well in the NT final against Mildenhall but didn’t have a strong group to get out of. But tbh your team did alright because Atkins was brilliant and Roynon had the wrong average. I’m all for continuity, I just saw Plymouth struggle in the middle order last season as Atkins/Walker & Andrews were all great at number 7 but only Atkins really scored in the main body which is where he’ll be all year now. Now it looks like the team building is taking the same direction. If Boxall comes back it looks a weak pair of reserves if Bulley/Anderson etc feature again but probably the best 1 & 5 in the league. 

2 hours ago, Islander15 said:

And you can tell us all this with just 3 riders named?:blink:

9 minutes ago, ancient mariner said:

And you can tell us all this with just 3 riders named?:blink:

So far its the same....

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Yeah they did well in the NT final against Mildenhall but didn’t have a strong group to get out of. But tbh your team did alright because Atkins was brilliant and Roynon had the wrong average. I’m all for continuity, I just saw Plymouth struggle in the middle order last season as Atkins/Walker & Andrews were all great at number 7 but only Atkins really scored in the main body which is where he’ll be all year now. Now it looks like the team building is taking the same direction. If Boxall comes back it looks a weak pair of reserves if Bulley/Anderson etc feature again but probably the best 1 & 5 in the league. 

It won't be the 7 that finished as that came to 42pts.According to press release Andrews will start at reserve , which can only mean 1 x 3pointer. Agree Plymouth struggled in the middle order last year, personally don't think Boxall will be back and that our next rider will be a Ben Wilson type rider, freeing up some points for better middle order strength. Not every team is lucky enough to start with a 3 pointer like Kemp and Edwards next year and Brennon , Jenkins and Bickley in previous seasons

Bradley Andrews is our 4th signing, according to Stuart Kellie on the Devils fans forum. Leaves 15.51 fit the last 3 riders. Welcome to Plymouth Bradley.

• Haha 1

So far? 

1. Roynon 2. Andrews 3. 4. Henry Atkins 5. 6. 7.Andrews 

a strong reserve at home yes, an out and out number one, not sold on B Andrews and I think Atkins will struggle away from home in the main body of the team. Need a good 3 & 5 and could be a mid table team. 

49 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

So far? 

1. Roynon 2. Andrews 3. 4. Henry Atkins 5. 6. 7.Andrews 

a strong reserve at home yes, an out and out number one, not sold on B Andrews and I think Atkins will struggle away from home in the main body of the team. Need a good 3 & 5 and could be a mid table team. 

Atkins does have the advantage now of having a full season under him last year and has ridden all the away tracks, hopefully this season he can kick on and be pushing for a heat leaders role and add a couple of points to his average. If he does that it will be a good season for him.

• Like 1

With the points left Boxall is almost certainly omitted. If the Devils could get Walker in at reserve it would make a potent tail but i fear there wont be enough points to secure another decent heat leader. I feel for Plymouth as like a few clubs they are Geographically up against it when making signings 

Well having two pretty good reserves would help them out against most teams even away from home. And if they are struggling for riders to find they may get Richard Hall if they are willing to take the risk after what he did last season. which would give them two good heat leaders and then a stronger lower order than most other teams.