British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk127

Use of Stadium/Speedway and it’s failing to win support

Having looked on You Tube a number of oval circuits that host banger racing/four wheeled racing some of which do not host speedway, is it any wonder that those promoters/owners do not host speedway or consider speedway secondary income and not worth the hassle given the regime that runs speedway. Simply take two examples of Ipswich and Kings Lynn and look at the numbers  that appear to be on the terraces and turn up to watch Banger racing. If only similar numbers turned up for our beloved two wheeled sport. Perhaps those who have some control could learn a thing or two. If the entertainment value is offered and it is properly promoted then just maybe speedeay might see a revival. Until someone is brave enough to get to grips with what is wrong on the promotional front and recognise it for what it is, four riders, four laps and simple points scoring, cut the crap with highly tuned bikes and rules that make it laughing stock, let us see racers with skill and not simply powerful machines that propel the rider, then Speedway will languish as a pastime followed by a decilning and aging fan base. Even Ice speedway appears to get better support if you watch some of the Russian qualifying meetings.  Time to wake up and see what is wrong and stop tinkering with the irrelevant. Speedway deserves better.

• Like 1

This is an example of a post on another topic , stockcars know what they are and are not trying to be something else , they know their fan base and know what they want , speedway doesn’t know what it is or even remember what it was but it’s trying to be a poor mans F1 and it will never be that and it’s stuck in the middle with no idea who it’s fan base is 

• Like 5

Surely they know who their fan base is Dean?  SCB has told us enough on here. :D Old people sitting in a fold up chair, eating cucumber sandwiches and drinking tea from their flask, complete In my case with a dog or two asleep on a blanket. Sorted ~ pander to them.

• Haha 1

Stock Cars / Bangers: I 'get' it, guarranteed action rain or shine, prob hardly ever gets rained off, must get around to watching it sometime.

Was recently having a chat about motorsoprt with a pal, and a pal of his mentioned he is really into drifting, which they stage on the inside at Kig's Lynn (can't call it centre green) among other places.  Have to say I don't 'get' drifting.  He was going on about the mega powerslides and performed mostly by Japanese sports cars in formation or singularly and how marvellous it is to watch, well they do that all the time in speedway whilst actually racing against each other.  While I'm sure there is a lot of skill involved, spinning up ones tyres is not that difficult, even if one doesn't have a less grippy surface or an excess of power, pumping up the driven tyres to 60PSI or so will get you sliding.   But whether I 'get' drifting or not, like stock cars, they get huge crowds....

Until speedway overcomes the problem of staging meetings in wet weather, the fans will never come. There are far too many reasons for riders not wanting to race. How can you market the sport as 'high risk" when the bikes are put away if the sun is too bright!

• Like 2

Don' blame us dinosaurs who are almost the only ones left. We've been handing over our earned cash for 40 -50 -60 years. And now dying or walking away.

Blame the sport itself , or how it has been allowed to become all too often BORING. New younger fans will not settle for 1 minute of four lap racing, that may not even be exciting - every 10 minutes or so. They won't hang around - those newbies and they might get two or three close races, if they are lucky.Poor spectacle and poor VFM.

• Like 2

Just out of interest, how often do Ipswich and Kings Lynn host bangers/stockcars and what kind of crowds do they attract?

There was a track near where I used to live (Standlake) which hosted bangers every week and the few times I went there couldn't have been more than 100-odd spectators. The vast majority of the people there were involved in the meeting in some way (drivers, mechanics etc.)

I think people  may be cherry picking the attendances to once-a-year top stockcar meetings and comparing them to weekly league speedway, but I may be wrong.

13 minutes ago, MattK said:

Just out of interest, how often do Ipswich and Kings Lynn host bangers/stockcars and what kind of crowds do they attract?

There was a track near where I used to live (Standlake) which hosted bangers every week and the few times I went there couldn't have been more than 100-odd spectators. The vast majority of the people there were involved in the meeting in some way (drivers, mechanics etc.)

I think people  may be cherry picking the attendances to once-a-year top stockcar meetings and comparing them to weekly league speedway, but I may be wrong.

...was a rumour, and I stress a rumour, that a one time Oxford promotion was looking to re-locate there many years ago.

I seem to remember a Faringdon raceway many, many years ago.

24 minutes ago, MattK said:

I don't think you are wrong. Stock Cars used to be held roughly once a month at Coventry and had big attendances.  If that's how Speedway was run I bet the crowd would increase. Of course get a bit of rain 24 hours before and the meeting would be called off and that would be it for another month.

Edited by Gemini

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...was a rumour, and I stress a rumour, that a one time Oxford promotion was looking to re-locate there many years ago.

I think various Oxford promoters approached the chap at Standlake over the years. It would have made a fantastic venue as the site is large and is in a natural bowl. However, I think the reservation was that there are a few houses next to the arena and the village of Standlake less than a mile away, so the owner didn't want to jeopardise his weekly banger racing by introducing speedway.

On top of that would have been the logistical challenge of persuading Oxford fans to travel the 40-odd minutes to West Oxfordshire. Could have had some interesting celebrity fans though, as Dave Cameron was the local MP!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

The Faringdon raceway was a dirt track, with a speedway track inside for training. The speedway track was maintained by parents and friends of the riders. Troy Smith, Martin Chessell and the Knappmans learnt there amongst others, Rosco had a few skids as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Even in the 60s when the Aces were getting crowds of 10,000 for a league match , stock cars pulled bigger crowds.

however it was only once a month and attracted Stock car fans from all over not just the manchester area...

The following weekend would be a stock car in Coventry or wherever and the stock car fans would troll over to Coventy for their weekend fix,

Still applies but the numbers are not as great

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

There is a world of difference between a Speedway meeting and a Stock Car meeting and that is the cost. Do stock drivers get paid anything?

They only get prize money ,but stock drivers don’t believe the sport owes them a living , speedway riders do , it’s ok for the top guys but these days get a licence and string 4 laps together and suddenly you think your a proffessional  , that may sound harsh but as far as finances go that is why soeedway is all but bankrupt 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adonis said:

If you are entertained by the simplicity of racing around in old wrecks   to the extent you would pay to watch it , you have to belong to a particular demographic , count your fingers , most likely you will have 6 , and most likely your father will also be your brother and uncle all rolled into one , stock cars have a different demographic , they need to count their fingers to make sure they have the full 5  not having chopped any off working in the garage cutting and welding old cars together , whichever of those 2 floats your boat ,it's unlikely that you would see the skill of speedway and be thrilled by it , we often hear tell of the huge CROWD  for stock cars , fact is , on any given night  that is  THE stock car crowd  who follow the same drivers around different venues .

I went to a couple of Banger meetings yonks ago and it didn't do anything for me...each to their own I suppose.