British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk127

Use of Stadium/Speedway and it’s failing to win support

If you define riding in the national league as proffessional then you don’t have to be very good at all but they are not supposed to be professionals in the NL but they are asking for deals like they are 

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:26 PM, MattK said:

Just out of interest, how often do Ipswich and Kings Lynn host bangers/stockcars and what kind of crowds do they attract?

There was a track near where I used to live (Standlake) which hosted bangers every week and the few times I went there couldn't have been more than 100-odd spectators. The vast majority of the people there were involved in the meeting in some way (drivers, mechanics etc.)

I think people  may be cherry picking the attendances to once-a-year top stockcar meetings and comparing them to weekly league speedway, but I may be wrong.

I've been to a fair few banger meetings at Lynn.The crowd varies a lot.A run of the mill meeting in cold weather may attract 1000-1500.A bigger event like a world final and the place is packed 4,000 or so.Theres a lot of " Finals" and "championship" meetings in bangers that see a good 2-3000 attend in good weather..

As far as I know the race/meeting winners get a trophy and pay to race.A mate of mine used to race bangers.They put a lot of time and effort  and some spend a bit of money as well to prepare a banger.My mate would pay about £100-£200 for the car.Spend a whole weekend getting it ready to race inc altering the suspension,welding the car up to make it tough at the front(illegal i think).He used to race a lot of Honda's.So he had a lightened flywheel,changed cams etc,all illegal,just to get a win.

The car might last 1 meeting.Meeting last from 4-6 hours.Not been for a few years,if I remember entry was between 10 and 15 quid.Compared to speedway,these a lot of action for your money.

Check it out.

http://www.stockcar-racing.co.uk/

Edited by Bald Bloke

On 29/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, adonis said:

Anyone  can get a place in NL as long as you fit the criteria ,  1. under 18 years old and are related to a former rider , 2. been riding motocross and full of your own Shirt , 3. have your tongue down the back of the right persons pants  4. are related to the last British world champion , 5. have a mate who happens to be a rising star of the Nl .  6.  have previously ridden part of a season In NL before, quitting before you got sacked , or spitting the dummy / faking an injury so you can go off on holiday with your mates .. . if you think riding in the MDL showing your dedication and reliability , improving your skills , and showing a general willingness to wish to take part at a higher level  is going to help get you a place in the NL ,then sadly my friend you are deluded , word of advice for you and your charge , assuming he has reached a decent level in MDL and has still had no offers , get used to getting kicked in the teeth , or get out and go back to the terraces , before you become disillusioned with the whole sport .

Your last sentence is only too true!

17 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

If you define riding in the national league as proffessional then you don’t have to be very good at all but they are not supposed to be professionals in the NL but they are asking for deals like they are 

I meant 'professional' as meaning receiving at leat some payment, not making a living at it.