British Speedway Forum
Gunner85

Belle Vue Colts 2018

Pleased with the Joe and Lee in the team.

Once again a team built regards encouraging / training young British riders.

Long May it continue.

It's Payne and Bowen 

5 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

It's Payne and Bowen 

If thats the case then so be it but i don't see the current colts line up as a play off side. That said being a little more vulnerable will make things more entertaining at home matches.

Everyone needs to appreciate that it is virtually impossible for any club to follow a season like Belle Vue had in 2017. The points limit means that the team will have to seriously weaken in order to comply - which will seem very unfair to the home supporters, but a reasonable expectation for everyone else.

We were lucky at Birmingham that we were able to win the league in 2015 and again in 2016 but that was only due to the fact that we managed to pick up the two best 3 pointers available in Jack Smith and Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, and keep these two lads at reserve all season. Everyone knew that there was no chance at all of winning the league again in 2018 - but then - would it really be good for the sport if the same team were to win it year after year?

• Like 5

I got a lot of pleasure watching the Colts last year. Yes, winning the league was great but I got by far the most pleasure from watching the progress made by Bewley, Smith and Bickley. That to me is what the NL is about.

I don't expect or, think, that the team will achieve as much this year but that doesn't matter if two or three of the team are gaining from the experience and making significant steps forward in their racing careers.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 6

On 25/01/2018 at 8:17 AM, Hunters said:

As Bickley was riding against the weaker losing team he should get more than Brennan against the much stronger winners. 

That's got to be the daftest argument I've ever read on any forum.

"The Belle Vue riders were bound to score more points because they were riding for the winning team"???  :lol:  :lol:

Isn't it more the case that Belle Vue were the winning team because their riders scored more points?  Isn't that how sport usually works?

6 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Williamson & Woodhull to complete it or Payne & 4.74?

Heard a rumour that Connor Mountain had been in contact with Belle Vue very recently about a NL team place.  Seems he's said he's willing to travel any distance for an NL ride...

I would be very surprised if many riders hadn't been in touch with Belle Vue regarding a team place. Shame for Connor as he has progressed very quickly but would have benefited with one more NL season

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I would be very surprised if many riders hadn't been in touch with Belle Vue regarding a team place. Shame for Connor as he has progressed very quickly but would have benefited with one more NL season

Yes, I would imagine the BV phone has been ringing non-stop.

I agree that Connor Mountain would benefit from another NL season, but when Mildenhall chose Bailey and Ayres above Mountain. I presumed it was his own choice to not do NL.  Apparently not and he's still looking for a place.

The other one that surprises me is that Eastbourne went for Baseby ahead of Jake Knight, who also doesn't have a NL team (Unless he's been on to BV too).

1 hour ago, WalterPlinge said:

That's got to be the daftest argument I've ever read on any forum.

"The Belle Vue riders were bound to score more points because they were riding for the winning team"???  :lol:  :lol:

Isn't it more the case that Belle Vue were the winning team because their riders scored more points?  Isn't that how sport usually works?

Are you real ??

It was about comparing  two individuals, one of the observations was that one had to compete against a team with better riders than his own team whilst the other competed against the weaker of the two sets of riders which must give him an advantage when it comes to individual points tally.  Could you not understand this, or are you suggesting that  Knight, Bailey, Wood and Powell are as good as Bewley, Smith, Shuttleworth and Mellish who were all eligible for a r/r for Payne, because that is not what everyone else thinks or the individual records show.  

Now I know why I don't usually  involve myself in these arguments. Too many blinkers around.    

On 1/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

IF Woodhull, Dicken & Bowen was the route the Colts go down i suspect it would be Bowen at 2 (although im sure ive read somewhere that the SCB/BSPA decide in these situations?) However the more i think about it the more it seems unlikely. There are strong riders out there without teams and Payne would be a big risk.

Bowtell not signed anywhere seems a little alarming and he would fit perfectly along with Lee Dicken?

I was thinking of Bowtell & Lee Dicken too!

Andy Mellish for 2019 !!

Andy lives and breathes Belle Vue.... sadly unavailable due  to injury

Look forward to your return Andy

• Like 2

Considering that they had to go from over 50 points to 39, they have done a good job.

A team built with production of British talent for the future..

Look forward to both Aces and Colts matches in 2019

I think we have three good heat leaders, some young talented riders and a blend of experience. It's not the powerful team we had last year but it's going to be good to watch them progress and if the results come, all the better.