British Speedway Forum
Gunner85

Belle Vue Colts 2018

Still a team expected too win most/all meetings at home and some away which will keep you in or around the play-offs still.

The success of this side depends upon the number of fixture clashes Smith & Bickley have? Payne has proven ability and im sure will fire when he has worked the rust out. Its then how the tail perform. The Pie Man appears to be rejuvenated from his largely lackluster time at Buxton and the other Woodhull has shown potential. Dicken has promised much but delivered little from what i have seen but should receive good assistance behind the scenes. However i can see a couple of home defeats coming this year that may prove costly?

Last year we started with two 3 point men and one  with 3.21.

If Ben Woodhull realises the potential he showed in some of his Colts performances as no ‘8 , I think we have a chance of reaching the play offs.

Dicken and Bowen may pleasantly surprise us.

I am optimistic

I may have this wrong but I can't see this Colts team been anywhere near the top 4 . Those who disagree please remind me of this at the end of the season but I feel i may be correct 

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Like 1

On Friday, February 09, 2018 at 3:03 PM, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I may have this wrong but I can't see this Colts team been anywhere near the top 4 . Those who disagree please remind me of this at the end of the season but I feel i may be correct 

I see it the same as you. Mid table side my prediction.

• Like 1

I think the Colts will win their home meetings and the heatleaders will see us sneak bonus points away. Add in an away win and that should put us in the play offs and over two legs I think we will stand up well against most teams. 

36 points got you into the play offs last season. We’ve lost a team so maybe a bit less will do this time. I think it’s doable but I’m not that bothered if we miss out as long as the lads progress and get something out of the experience. 

NL racing is excellent and should be better supported. You don’t get the wobblers like in years gone by and most lads seem very professional in their set up. 

Your heat leaders are ok not as good as many others .but you have the worst tail in the league Bowen and dicken won't score anywhere im afraid there the 2 poorest riders in the league this team could easily come bottom tbh as for going away and nicking a point with your strong heat leaders i can only see some huge beatings tbh 

Kean would be better off been number 8 and doing second halves this year . 

Sorry if it sounds harsh but like i say you can ram it it down my throat come the end of the season . 

Like you say Jack Smith hopefully can push on and make this he's final nl campaign possible same with Kyle ...

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

Having seen Kean ride at Plymouth at the tail end of the season, he looked a long way off the pace. I will add he looped off his bike doing a practice start during the parade so this may of affected his performance.

13 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

... I will add he looped off his bike doing a practice start during the parade so this may of affected his performance.

Didn't he do something similar at the Brummies P&P day last year, effectively ending his season before it even started? He was never able to catch up for lost time after he came back from injury, and was never the best of alternatives at the #7 slot for the Brummies. Unless he's been pulling up trees in off-season training, It'll be a long hard grind for him in 2018.

I have seen very little of Bowen and nothing of Dicken, so it's difficult to make an assessment. However, the Colts are in a different position to stand alone NL teams. The club doesn't stand or fall by their success. Many Colts supporters will watch them so long as they can see riders who are progressing and hope that at least some of them have the ability to eventually become Aces. Yes, crowds will fall if they are losing too many meetings at home but they are an investment for the future of the Aces and I suspect the promotion will see it that way so long as they are not losing money.

Dicken is an intriguing signing cos he’s not pulled up any trees other than in name yet he’s managed to get rides at 2 big clubs. Belle Vue have proved in the past that they’re willing to give riders time. 

Belle Vue have run in the NL for three years 2011, 2016, 2017.

In all 3 years they have finished the season with the same declared 1-7 that they started with.

In 2011 they made the play-offs and should have won the league.  However they suffered injuries to 2 heat-leaders (Bekker and McKinna) just before the play-offs, and in those days there were no guests allowed so they had to cover a heat-leader with a 3pointer, and just missed out on the play-off final.

In 2016 they finished 5th and just missed the play-offs.  Their late start to the season (with new stadium problems) handicapped them, and when they had to cram all their last fixtues in before the cut-off they had lost Bewley to injury.   Otherwise they'd have been in play-offs.

In 2017 they ran away with the league.

I'd certainly hesitate to write them off under any circumstances.

17 hours ago, Aces51 said:

I have seen very little of Bowen and nothing of Dicken, so it's difficult to make an assessment. However, the Colts are in a different position to stand alone NL teams. The club doesn't stand or fall by their success. Many Colts supporters will watch them so long as they can see riders who are progressing and hope that at least some of them have the ability to eventually become Aces. Yes, crowds will fall if they are losing too many meetings at home but they are an investment for the future of the Aces and I suspect the promotion will see it that way so long as they are not losing money.

Spot on...

The racing in the Colts meetings last year was great and if they keep the same price structure (£10 and free for kids) I am sure many will still go each week regardless of results...

Development of the riders should always be the main objective at this level..

Let's be honest,  the 'pinnacle' of winning the Premiership has zero kudos due to the way the sport is ran, so winning the second and third tiers of any sport ran like that doesnt really mean much...

Let's hope for plenty of good racing and rider progression and the results will be what they will be..

• Like 1

I think the racing will be better this season as the Colts will not be so head and shoulders above the rest around the NSS.