British Speedway Forum
Gunner85

Belle Vue Colts 2018

I do not like knocking young riders but I have to say from what I saw of young Dicken on Saturday night at this stage of his development he looks nowhere near ready for the National league yet.

I really do hope he proves me wrong.I will be there for every home meeting encouraging him to do so.

• Like 1

By the sounds of things, only  the BV management seem to think Dicken is good enough! Time will tell if he’s the ‘worst’ in the league or as bad as David Speight was last year but he won’t be far off unfortunately. 

30 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

By the sounds of things, only  the BV management seem to think Dicken is good enough! Time will tell if he’s the ‘worst’ in the league or as bad as David Speight was last year but he won’t be far off unfortunately. 

Sounds a bit harsh on Speighty. In fairness there are half a dozen riders this year who i think could struggle to hit their 3.00 averages

Edited by Sings4Speedway

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

David Speight wasn't/isn't that bad a rider particularly on the grass.

I think the trouble is that when the phone rings, a rider is inclined to leap in to the vacant spot without having done the necessary preparation and 3 meetings later, he gets booted out because another bargain basement rider becomes available.

Having seen both David Speight and Kean Dicken in action, there is no doubt that Speight would put a good half lap into Dicken.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Sounds a bit harsh on Speighty. In fairness there are half a dozen riders this year who i think could struggle to hit their 3.00 averages

Yeah I wasn't comparing him to Speight's career, just last seasons appalling 0.50 average.

1 hour ago, fubar said:

David Speight wasn't/isn't that bad a rider particularly on the grass.

I think the trouble is that when the phone rings, a rider is inclined to leap in to the vacant spot without having done the necessary preparation and 3 meetings later, he gets booted out because another bargain basement rider becomes available.

Having seen both David Speight and Kean Dicken in action, there is no doubt that Speight would put a good half lap into Dicken.

Having seen Kean in action last season you could be right but I bet they score a similar number of points.

• Like 1

We need to try and persuade dan gilkes that he's ready for NL. He doesn't want tonight yet but he's a very good young rider. And he's a 2 pointer 

24 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

We need to try and persuade dan gilkes that he's ready for NL. He doesn't want tonight yet but he's a very good young rider. And he's a 2 pointer 

No you don't he has stated that he is not signing for anyone in 2018 to concentrate on he's exams and also said to people at Birminghams  p&p that he's parents were very much against it so I think it's best to leave the lad alone to study and don't try turning he's head. 

By the way you can't have a 2 pointer in the nl .

It has been suggested he may ride for a few teams as a unattached rider but the rules have changed and he would attain a average so he is unlikely to do that . He will probably just do 3 meetings right at the end of the season and start 2019 on a 3.00 average having achieved top grades at school that's my guess anyway ..

• Like 1

Come on guys are we really comparing a 16 year old kid who has a confidence problem due to 2 badly broken legs then loosing all his kit in a workshop fire in his first big season to David speight who has at least 15 to 20 years racing experience, great comparison there. Let’s give him a chance to prove u all wrong eh coz he hasn’t been given that chance so far has he n trust me at worst he won’t be the worst in the league!!

Last season Kean Dicken rode for Birmingham as they are NL team and can’t have Rider assets does that mean as he is now riding for BV he has become a BV rider asset, as I’m sure BV would not train up a rider for some other club, and if he is now a BV asset does Birmingham get a training fee, or a loan fee 

14 hours ago, Argos said:

Last season Kean Dicken rode for Birmingham as they are NL team and can’t have Rider assets does that mean as he is now riding for BV he has become a BV rider asset, as I’m sure BV would not train up a rider for some other club, and if he is now a BV asset does Birmingham get a training fee, or a loan fee 

He didn't ride for Birmingham last year, or only 50 yards at the P&P day.  No NL team will get 'loan fees' and certainly not 'training fees'. Not that Birmingham (or many other teams) lifted a finger to 'train' any riders.