British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Norwich Stars Remembered

Another track I would have liked to have visited.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this programme on Norwich speedway which aired on Radio Norfolk on Friday 29th December from 6-7pm!

The massive appeal of Norwich speedway was fully encapsulated and for former Stars devotees of the past like myself it was like replaying some of my youth and the wonderful times we had at the Firs!

It certainly helped those not old enough to have been around at the time, appreciate just how big Norwich Stars speedway was!

53 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

I saw Norwich in 1964 at Hyde road

Fundin Nygren and Billy Bales come to mind.

Sadly Peter Craven was not there, he and Ove Fundin had fantastic tussles at Hyde Road and I am sure similar action at Firs Road - a track I would love to have seen as it was a similar size to the Hyde Road track, similar shape? Don’t know - perhaps someone who saw action at both tracks could enlighten.

Norwich was a wonderful place to visit in the 1950/1960 era. The track was a real racers' circuit with no surrounding greyhound track to lessen the impression of speed. There was an excellent fish and chip stall in the middle of the last bend, and a first class ballroom where a free-admission dance was held after every Saturday night meeting. By "dance" I mean proper ballroom dancing with a resident band - not a screaming disco!

A very sad day for speedway when to the eternal shame of the directors, the stadium was sold to the property developers at the end of 1964.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Norwich was a wonderful place to visit in the 1950/1960 era. The track was a real racers' circuit with no surrounding greyhound track to lessen the impression of speed. There was an excellent fish and chip stall in the middle of the last bend, and a first class ballroom where a free-admission dance was held after every Saturday night meeting. By "dance" I mean proper ballroom dancing with a resident band - not a screaming disco!

A very sad day for speedway when to the eternal shame of the directors, the stadium was sold to the property developers at the end of 1964.

From what you say Brian - and what the radio programme mentioned - it is clear Norwich Speedway was a complete night out for those who wanted it.

In fact, for many it was a complete day out for the fans. Loved the references in the programme to football at Carrow Road in the afternoon, fish and chips for tea, and then on to the Firs.

• Like 1

The West ham football programmes of the early 1970's used to carry an advert previewing the following Tuesdays speedway meeting at custom house. Can you imagine such a thing nowadays!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The West ham football programmes of the early 1970's used to carry an advert previewing the following Tuesdays speedway meeting at custom house. Can you imagine such a thing nowadays!

I recently obtained an Oxford Utd programme from the early seventies for my brother and it also carried an advert for a forthcoming speedway meeting at Cowley.

I went there first as a three month old baby ( my mum couldn't get a baby sitter and she was a truly avid fan of the Stars ) I remember as a toddler being sat on the crush barriers by my Dad and watching from what was a great viewpoint, just going into the third bend but nicely elevated. After I was allowed to run about during the match, I fought with other kids for the throwaway googles, which we collected and swapped. Up near the fence and close to those magnificent men on their speedy beasts, breathing in the smells. And then something momentous happened Ove Fundin arrived and I was enslaved immediately and began to watch the racing and results in much more detail. Ove was my first great shale hero. And the best rider ever.  I followed the Stars home and away as much as possible ( when I had the money - usually from fruit picking ). On the coaches going away was a terrific experience and eye opening - especially the singing of many raucous, near the knuckle songs songs! And the terrace banter with other fans. How I "hated" Barry Briggs! The Golden helmet match races were also highlights - tense and dramatic. All my formative years were spent at the Firs. Tremendous memories indeed. 

• Like 3