British Speedway Forum

I believe the rent has doubled but it’s the first increase in 8 years. All depends on how much the original rent was to know if it’s a massive or unreasonable increase 

it would be interesting to hear which jayne thinks has had the biggest negative impact on buxton . this superwage team from 200 mls south that is made up of 2 family members , 3 that the club brought into the sport from grasstrack and edwards who wouldn't be there if his local team hadn't moved up or belle vue running the colts. 

6 hours ago, gee jay said:

it would be interesting to hear which jayne thinks has had the biggest negative impact on buxton . this superwage team from 200 mls south that is made up of 2 family members , 3 that the club brought into the sport from grasstrack and edwards who wouldn't be there if his local team hadn't moved up or belle vue running the colts. 

I've read this about 10 times and still don't understand what you're on about 

eastbourne are one of the teams that some are saying are part of the problem for there being some very weak teams in the league but they have 2 members of the dugard family and 3 that came into the sport from grasstrack , so none have been enticed from other sides with big wage offers , and no i don't have any idea of anybodys points money . we are just lucky to have edwards because he would be at lakeside if they hadn't moved up and thought he chose eastbourne over the kings because of race night . that only leaves baseby . my point about the colts was look at the side buxton had when they won everything in 2010 ? craig cook , the wright bros and i think nick morris and rob branford , and have had garrity since , so i suppose i'm saying they were like a nursey club for the colts.  they are not getting the bewleys and bickleys etc to buxton anymore which would have been the case a few seasons ago . just like to hear jayne's thoughts as she seems to tell it as it is . perhaps she'll answer me now  i've explained myself better . if i have that is ?  

50 minutes ago, gee jay said:

eastbourne are one of the teams that some are saying are part of the problem for there being some very weak teams in the league but they have 2 members of the dugard family and 3 that came into the sport from grasstrack , so none have been enticed from other sides with big wage offers , and no i don't have any idea of anybodys points money . we are just lucky to have edwards because he would be at lakeside if they hadn't moved up and thought he chose eastbourne over the kings because of race night . that only leaves baseby . my point about the colts was look at the side buxton had when they won everything in 2010 ? craig cook , the wright bros and i think nick morris and rob branford , and have had garrity since , so i suppose i'm saying they were like a nursey club for the colts.  they are not getting the bewleys and bickleys etc to buxton anymore which would have been the case a few seasons ago . just like to hear jayne's thoughts as she seems to tell it as it is . perhaps she'll answer me now  i've explained myself better . if i have that is ?  

The league that we entered 25 years ago is unrecognisable today and in my opinion has lost its way. The problems started from our point of view when the NL was formed and costs doubled overnight. Since then Eastbourne and Birmingham dropped down as they couldn't sustain the costs of the leagues that they were in and their costs must have more than halved but they have mostly retained the support so financially must be better off.  Lakeside also did a season which added to the bigger clubs in the league and pushed costs up. Riders demands are increasing at an impossible rate for clubs like ourselves and Kings Lynn. The league is now, more than ever, an extension of the Championship with riders asking and getting £25-£30+ per point with tyres, fuel, oil, racesuits and mechanic wages in addition. Riders expect to be paid a wage for NL speedway and we can't compete with that.  Most if not all other forms of  motorsport are pay to enter. There are less riders to go around as a number are injured or have walked away from the sport and the up and coming riders from the Youth scene invariably go to the highest bidder. It becomes harder each year to field a team and the pay rates in the NL must have an impact on the leagues above. It seems that some NL clubs want the cheaper alternative of NL racing but want to be a professional league which understandably doesn't sit well with the higher leagues who are paying far higher rates to stage speedway. 

• Like 8

You have my sympathy, it would be quite wrong if clubs like Buxton can not function at the third tier. We really really must severely weaken the Championship as soon as possible to take those clubs you mention out of the NL. The third tier is vital to the future of the sport and must be affordable if not completely amateur. You can earn money by being 6 or 7 in a championship team.

Somebody has to have the cojones and brains to sort the structure of this game out.

The big problem, as others have said, is that the Premiership and Championship are too close in terms of standards of riders/costs. I am assuming this is the promoters' policy – surely it has not just been allowed to happen.

I'm sure someone will know, how many riders double up between the two divisions?

It all seems to be that there are have and have nots in the Championship.

Speedway needs a big shake-up.

As things stand, for the likes of Birmingham and Eastbourne, there was nowhere else to go but the NL when they drop from the top tier; other than to shut the doors.

The NL basically has now delivered pretty much every mistake that the leagues above them have already delivered..

Not big or good enough to compete at a higher level? No problem. Drop down...

After years of struggle, by becoming a 'big fish in a small pond' you will no doubt start to win and your fans will not only stay with you but you could also entice more back..

More income and less costs? What's not to like?

Except of course that paying even 50% less total points money than you used to in the bigger leagues, is still considerably more than gets paid out at some 'lesser/smaller' clubs..

The result?

Expectations of income rise across all teams and supply and demand inflation kicks in..

Just like it has in the Premiership and Championship..

The NL should be 'entry level' Speedway. A balance between covering expenses and gaining vital riding time..

If you want a team of mainly semi pros then put your team in the Championship...

If you want a team of full time pros then put your team in the Premiership..

Clear aspirational advancement for both riders and clubs...

Not. "I'm sick of struggling in this League, I fancy the NL this year to see how it goes"...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Ive been pointing out the issues for a long time now, I have seen this first hand but there isn’t a big enough will to rectify the problem from members within the NL,there are a few like Jayne who want change but just hits a brick wall, even some who want change just say there is no point as others won’t stick to it , there is no structure in place and it’s been out of control for a few years now, I have been crucified by some riders or their parents or their sycophant fans on social media but I’ve also had massive support from ex riders and promotors who can see the NL problems, when I hear some deals riders are getting now it’s just crazy, there are things I would like to say but don’t want to abuse certain people’s trust but we are now seeing the chickens are coming home to roost but as we will see some people will just shrug there shoulders and say not my problem I’m alright 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

A lot of common sense talked in this topic so if we the supporters can see it why are the owners not able to grasp the issues.

I’ve witnessed all 3 leagues this season and see a decline in attendances.

I was talking to an associate of a club (NL) and like me he agrees the decline is accelerating at an alarming rate.

However much the bspa try to talk it up the product has to be priced according to what promotions can afford.

If the riders are killing the sport then it’s time to tell them some home truths.

As mentioned the NL should be semi pro at best.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GWC said:

A lot of common sense talked in this topic so if we the supporters can see it why are the owners not able to grasp the issues.

I’ve witnessed all 3 leagues this season and see a decline in attendances.

I was talking to an associate of a club (NL) and like me he agrees the decline is accelerating at an alarming rate.

However much the bspa try to talk it up the product has to be priced according to what promotions can afford.

If the riders are killing the sport then it’s time to tell them some home truths.

As mentioned the NL should be semi pro at best.

Are you suggesting some NL riders are full-time speedway riders, with no other job?

On 6/11/2018 at 3:26 PM, Richard Weston said:

They are having to face the cost of their rent being doubled this year

I have complete sympathy with the smaller clubs and rising costs etc, and respect what they do and how they do it. BUT What often seems to be forgotten is that costs have drastically increased for riders too. Look at fuel prices on the roads for starters before you enter the realms of "bespoke" speedway parts and service bills that make the eyes water.

I wonder now with the number of development league teams whether a tier between mdl/sdl level and level national league level. Using old conference league rules around she and ability.

It clearly is a situation with no easy fix, but in this day and age (probably any day age) wage caps or similar sanctions just don't work. Of course if you have money you are going to want to buy the best it's human nature.

What is obvious to me is that National League clubs need to be sat at the BSPA AGM and not set aside. Radical changes are needed but that won't be achieved with the current system. The next BSPA major vote should be, picking someone to employ as Independent Chairman and let them start making decisions.

The current system works for no one, decisions by comitee always leaves diluted solutions.