British Speedway Forum

22 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

I have complete sympathy with the smaller clubs and rising costs etc, and respect what they do and how they do it. BUT What often seems to be forgotten is that costs have drastically increased for riders too. Look at fuel prices on the roads for starters before you enter the realms of "bespoke" speedway parts and service bills that make the eyes water.

I wonder now with the number of development league teams whether a tier between mdl/sdl level and level national league level. Using old conference league rules around she and ability.

It clearly is a situation with no easy fix, but in this day and age (probably any day age) wage caps or similar sanctions just don't work. Of course if you have money you are going to want to buy the best it's human nature.

What is obvious to me is that National League clubs need to be sat at the BSPA AGM and not set aside. Radical changes are needed but that won't be achieved with the current system. The next BSPA major vote should be, picking someone to employ as Independent Chairman and let them start making decisions.

The current system works for no one, decisions by comitee always leaves diluted solutions.

Wage caps etc etc if ever introduced could be policed but back handers which are common place cannot. Like with most things in life money speaks volumes when you want something.  

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I have complete sympathy with the smaller clubs and rising costs etc, and respect what they do and how they do it. BUT What often seems to be forgotten is that costs have drastically increased for riders too. Look at fuel prices on the roads for starters before you enter the realms of "bespoke" speedway parts and service bills that make the eyes water.

where does it say if you ride a speedway bike you have to make money at it ? costs to riders are what they are and that is vastly inflated by themselves having all the latest bling that isn't needed , ive seen riders lately buy a complete new set of rear sprockets and then sell them for another set because they changed the colour scheme ,not cause the sprockets were worn or in some cases even used but because hey the fans will pay for it, strangely you don't hear motox riders saying they want paying cause their costs have risen, I know exactly what the costs are but if you don't like it then go do something else, sick to death of hearing this costs this and this costs that, go do some other motorsport and tell the organisers you want paying because the price of diesel has risen or you just had an engine serviced, they will tell you to go away, we are talking about the lowest league riders and they want paying about £300 to do something they supposedly love, they should be greatful they have a league to ride in, ive tried to put forward ideas to reduce the costs to the riders but they are not interested and give a million reasons why they need this and that, if your big sprinter van doesn't do 40mpg get a smaller van that does or cant you fit the girlfriend in the back ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

where does it say if you ride a speedway bike you have to make money at it ? costs to riders are what they are and that is vastly inflated by themselves having all the latest bling that isn't needed , ive seen riders lately buy a complete new set of rear sprockets and then sell them for another set because they changed the colour scheme ,not cause the sprockets were worn or in some cases even used but because hey the fans will pay for it, strangely you don't hear motox riders saying they want paying cause their costs have risen, I know exactly what the costs are but if you don't like it then go do something else, sick to death of hearing this costs this and this costs that, go do some other motorsport and tell the organisers you want paying because the price of diesel has risen or you just had an engine serviced, they will tell you to go away, we are talking about the lowest league riders and they want paying about £300 to do something they supposedly love, they should be greatful they have a league to ride in, ive tried to put forward ideas to reduce the costs to the riders but they are not interested and give a million reasons why they need this and that, if your big sprinter van doesn't do 40mpg get a smaller van that does or cant you fit the girlfriend in the back ?

Nail on the head again Dean but is anybody listening?

3 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Nail on the head again Dean but is anybody listening?

a few but not many :(

5 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

What is obvious to me is that National League clubs need to be sat at the BSPA AGM and not set aside. Radical changes are needed but that won't be achieved with the current system. The next BSPA major vote should be, picking someone to employ as Independent Chairman and let them start making decisions.

The current system works for no one, decisions by comitee always leaves diluted solutions.

Cant see that happening as the NL clubs don't pay the 'entry' fees that the Premiership and Championship clubs do. An independent chairman is a good idea in principle but who is going to fund this?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Cant see that happening as the NL clubs don't pay the 'entry' fees that the Premiership and Championship clubs do. An independent chairman is a good idea in principle but who is going to fund this?

I don't know what sort of wage a role like that would command. But it will only be funded in house, and there in lays the problem.

One thing I believe could bring in extra funds is by offering out title league sponsorship for free for the remainder of the year, and see if that could secure a full paying sponsor next year.

The Dean Machine and Sotonian clearly have no understanding of riders. Unlike all other forms or motor sport which people get involved in as hobbies

and pastimes,   Speedway demands that you appear as and when required at tracks all over the country on any day of the week. This makes it very 

hard to hold down a full time job.  Not impossible of course but the interference in the day to day working life must create a loss of wages when the

rider is on his bike.  As another side issue, Speedway is far and away the most dangerous of all motor sports. ALL riders get injured on a regular basis.

No help in any sort of outside career.  Yet the previously mentioned correspondents begrudge them earning a crust.  Shame on you.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

The Dean Machine and Sotonian clearly have no understanding of riders. Unlike all other forms or motor sport which people get involved in as hobbies

and pastimes,   Speedway demands that you appear as and when required at tracks all over the country on any day of the week. This makes it very 

hard to hold down a full time job.  Not impossible of course but the interference in the day to day working life must create a loss of wages when the

rider is on his bike.  As another side issue, Speedway is far and away the most dangerous of all motor sports. ALL riders get injured on a regular basis.

No help in any sort of outside career.  Yet the previously mentioned correspondents begrudge them earning a crust.  Shame on you.

Wow , clearly I have no idea, sorry for my saying my non understanding view :D now where did I  put that teeshirt ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

The Dean Machine and Sotonian clearly have no understanding of riders.

Um ... Dean (Felton) is an ex-rider!

3 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Um ... Dean (Felton) is an ex-rider!

and one of the most clued up sensible posters on here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ch958 said:

Not difficult!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I wouldn’t go that far lol

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Do you enjoy Holland's pies and pints of beer? 

11 minutes ago, acef said:

Do you enjoy Holland's pies and pints of beer? 

I have absolutely no idea what that means ?

• Like 1