British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

THINGS DON'T CHANGE

3 hours ago, Aces51 said:

It's free for him to watch the Colts. A good way to get him and his mates interested.

Brilliant VFM at the Colts...

£10 for me and the lad...

Perhaps even too good when you compare it to the £25 we pay collectively for a Premiership match?..

Do they allow kids in anywhere in Speedway without adults for free?

The key to it is that teenagers need to be able to attend on their own should they wish, as not many will want to attend anywhere that your Dad and Granddad attends. Very uncool!:D

For me, all tracks should encourage as many "schoolkids" as possible by letting them all in for free at every meeting, especially those around 14/15 and 16 as these are the ones who may just carry on attending when they start work...

Let's face it, hardly any of that age bracket attend now so no great loss to any club in income...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I can go to watch a British superbike round Friday Saturday and Sunday...all the practice, qualifying races and all the support races from 8 am to 6 pm all 3 days for 37 quid.  

Speedway isn't expensive..but value for money it's poor.

If you buy a day ticket for the main racing only, its £28 (or £34 on the gate). That's not quite so good.

You're right, though - just because something isn't comparatively expensive doesn't mean it is value for money and, in many cases, speedway does fall down there. 

I went to the Belle Vue/Wolverhampton TV match last season and, basically, everything was just bang on. A reasonably close result, some fantastic racing, an Aces win - we even had Chase the Ace doing a 'Staying Alive' dance. I paid £10 but even at the usual £17 it would easily have been worth every penny.

All too often, though, we have crap tracks, ridiculous, unnecessary delays, poor presentation and riders who can't be bothered. All that has to be addressed, and soon. 

• Like 4

Even at 28 pound  it's still better value for money....there is more 28 minutes racing.   Speedway is about a pound a minute, but like you say....sometimes there is a good meeting and it seems worth it.

Good job we don't pay a pound a minute for other forms of entertainment.

Edited by Baldyman

You don't pay a pound a minute do you  .Most meetings are around two hours. Unless using your stupid theory you would only see around 6 minutes horse racing in 3 hours around 14 minutes in 3 hours at greyhound racing. Then about 4 minutes action in around 4 hours around 18 holes of golf

There is only about 12 minutes played in one hour of tennis. Even football in around 62 minutes per match.Even in darts only about a fifth of the match are darts being thrown.

Nobody makes comparisms about time in other sports so why do some speedway pundits keep doing so

• Like 6

That's very true.....makes me realise even more what a crap evening out speedway is...using my interests..likes and dislikes.....

Edited by Baldyman

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

You don't pay a pound a minute do you  .Most meetings are around two hours. Unless using your stupid theory you would only see around 6 minutes horse racing in 3 hours around 14 minutes in 3 hours at greyhound racing. Then about 4 minutes action in around 4 hours around 18 holes of golf

There is only about 12 minutes played in one hour of tennis. Even football in around 62 minutes per match.Even in darts only about a fifth of the match are darts being thrown.

Nobody makes comparisms about time in other sports so why do some speedway pundits keep doing so

...Ice Hockey, to the best of my knowledge, is an exception to the rule regarding 'team sports' whereby the full 60 minutes are played (3 periods of 20 minutes). When the puck is not in play the clock stops if my memory serves having followed the sport extensively during the eighties.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

If you buy a day ticket for the main racing only, its £28 (or £34 on the gate). That's not quite so good.

You're right, though - just because something isn't comparatively expensive doesn't mean it is value for money and, in many cases, speedway does fall down there. 

I went to the Belle Vue/Wolverhampton TV match last season and, basically, everything was just bang on. A reasonably close result, some fantastic racing, an Aces win - we even had Chase the Ace doing a 'Staying Alive' dance. I paid £10 but even at the usual £17 it would easily have been worth every penny.

All too often, though, we have crap tracks, ridiculous, unnecessary delays, poor presentation and riders who can't be bothered. All that has to be addressed, and soon. 

Many a time I have paid £32 on the gate at a BSB event and have never felt that I have not had value for money.  It is an excellent day out for the cash and I cannot always say that about speedway.

Next week I am going to the Arenacross which again is fantastic value at £36. In our group we are taking a mum and her 11 year old who has never been to a motorcycle event. She wanted to show him motorbikes in the action as he quite enjoys the moto gp on tv.  I know that taking him there he will have a great night as it is non stop entertainment for 3 hours.

As living near Reading the closest track to me is Swindon and I know if we took them there the chance of her wanting to return is low due to the facilities at the stadium and the journey being a pain.

The only speedway that I would take them to is Cardiff.

• Like 2

Only ever done it a few times...but if i ever took anyone new..it was never to my home track where the racing could very often be boring and at that time not very good for seating....I always took them somewhere else that had  good seating and very well lit track...even though the racing would often be a little boring at times too.

On 05/01/2018 at 8:23 PM, falcace said:

I don’t think it’s a case of being wrong or right. I think it’s a concern that people like me, who have great affection for the sport with a young family see other leisure activities as much better value and a better family experience. All the activities I list have upped their game and evolved since the 80s. British Speedway has not.

I doubt I am alone in that opinion. Based on my last live experience of speedway, young families were massively outnumbered by 60 and overs. That’s a worrying trend.

I’m sure some clubs - and a few on here make a good case for the Isle of Wight - deliver a better family experience than others. But broadly speaking, the sport isn’t providing a good enough package to entice young families through the turnstiles.

I am sure when the time comes, I will take my children. But it will be more out of my own nostalgic fondness than any great optimism they will enjoy it.

Write to me at Speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk and I will be delighted to send you and yours a family ticket to experience the Warrior Way with us in 2018. If at the end of it you dont like it, or feel we can improve it (this is always possible) then tell me, but if you and yours like it, shake my hand to visit your local track or us again. All the best Barry (Co-promoter IOW)

• Like 8

On 05/01/2018 at 11:47 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

I did a week on the Isle of Wight last year. Seeing the youngsters at the My First Skid sessions, watching their faces as Barry Bishop & I staged a mock race on stationary machines with them on the saddle at a show and seeing them line up at the tapes with their push bikes to do a lap of the track at the interval suggests to me you might just be wrong there.

Two adults and as many children as you like is £24 on the Island. Not sure you could do the cinema or the theatre for the same.

Your experience as a 7 year old (and I had the same) can most definitely be repeated today. Motor bikes will always have an attraction for children, its just a question of gearing everything up to give the nippers the best night out they can have.

Its worth a try, surely, for your children to have that sense of excitement that you had ? Beats swimming, doesn't it ?

ha ha not to miss out on your staged crash :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, barrybishop said:

Write to me at Speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk and I will be delighted to send you and yours a family ticket to experience the Warrior Way with us in 2018. If at the end of it you dont like it, or feel we can improve it (this is always possible) then tell me, but if you and yours like it, shake my hand to visit your local track or us again. All the best Barry (Co-promoter IOW)

Hi Barry, I will take you up on that. I like your pro-active approach :-) Email to follow.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, falcace said:

Hi Barry, I will take you up on that. I like your pro-active approach :-) Email to follow.

Emails replied to and I look forward to welcome you to Smallbrook  :)

Fantastic from Barry...Maybe you should have a word in a few other promoters ears.   You should also be one of those running the show from what I've read.

I shall defo be making the effort to give your track a visit during the season from Essex

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Fantastic from Barry...Maybe you should have a word in a few other promoters ears.   You should also be one of those running the show from what I've read.

I shall defo be making the effort to give your track a visit during the season from Essex

Thats brills... please let me know when you do as it will be great to meet you and have a chat  :) all the best

• Like 1