British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
foamfence

Joe Jacobs

I see he has announced his retirement on Twitter. Assuming this isn't another Josh Bates style incident, then it's certainly a shame. There is something very wrong when our own riders can't get a place or can't double-up, yet quite a few untried or low grade overseas riders will be in the starting line-ups and plenty of overseas riders will be doubling-up. Priority should be with all home riders until they all have a place.

• Like 6

Shame to see, but there's some who will tell you there's a rider shortage...

Too true.

any Brit should have his average reduced by one point / month until he is employed.

The positive initiatives of the last few years have now all been ditched

The draft was far from perfect but that was due to the selfish implementation rather than the ideal

The raising of starting average for visa riders and that ALL none Brits could not fall below 5

The min 2 Brits per team

Brit only No7 in the 2nd tier

Short sighted.....

• Like 2

riders lke joe jacobs i feel sorry for

im sure if joe has a run of 2 or 3 seasons with the right club/clubs and he has the right finacial backing then im sure he could compette ata a decent level

im not saying hes gonna be a 7 point championship rider but on his day hes more than capable of compeating as a 2nd string

4 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

im sure if joe has a run of 2 or 3 seasons with the right club/clubs and he has the right finacial backing then im sure he could compette ata a decent level

im not saying hes gonna be a 7 point championship rider but on his day hes more than capable of compeating as a 2nd string

While you support Mason Campton being back in the UK after failing time after time you can't complain about Joe Jacobs not getting a job. Some of us have complained for a long time that foreign dross gets in at the expense of Brits.

We have an obsession with employing 2 rate foreigners thinking they will be world champions in a couple of seasons.Would like to know how much financial difference to employ them, cheaper or more expensive!

• Like 1

i never said i supported mason being back

i just defended him saying he was better than some that dont get knocked

and up untill the end of last season id have given joe jacobs a try in place of mason

but like i have said for joe mason has had a couple of years at workington and finally started to show he can do a job on his day

3 minutes ago, SCB said:

While you support Mason Campton being back in the UK after failing time after time you can't complain about Joe Jacobs not getting a job. Some of us have complained for a long time that foreign dross gets in at the expense of Brits.

And in the SS it mentions how loads of riders have had/are having their averages re-assessed to encourage teams to bring them over and make them assets....

Some teams have already started filling their spaces with 'gambles'....

More to come I would suggest...

19 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

Being in a team for a few years in a row did Ashley Morris a load of good, it'd do Joe Jacobs a lot of good also, he's a rider I'd have like to have seen at Newcastle, especially if we went down the 2 4.00 reserves route... Shame :(

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SCB said:

While I very much see your point here, you have to ask why 'foreign dross' is preferred to British riders.

12 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

While I very much see your point here, you have to ask why 'foreign dross' is preferred to British riders.

Because if they do happen to make it, at least they're British and we stand to gain. It must also be cheaper to employ a rider who lives 10-100 miles away that one who lives in another country. Being British they're also likely to hang around as long as they're employed, foreigners decide on a whim they're not riding in the UK until it suits them at a later date.

Some riders need time to settle in and most clubs can not afford the luxury of doing it as they want results asap.

12 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I totally agree. Is it not time that the sport in this country looked after its own. It is becoming slightly frustrating that the up and coming riders who really deserve the backing are cast aside and the British promoters are falling over themselves to bring in overseas riders who cannot generally hold down a team place in their own back yard. People might winge about the old foggies who harp on about the 70’s and 80’s but back then the decent promoters took pride in home grown talent and we did see some real British characters. No point in naming them because most will know who they were. Sad that today few have the courage to take on riders and build for the future. That is one of the reasons why support is dwindling. Promoters think on. You have lost the plot and are signing the death warrant of this once great sport.

• Like 2