British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
arnieg

How Popular is Speedway in Poland

And Stoch is an avid Liverpool fan and it was/is his dream to meet Kloppo.Not sure he has ever attended a speedway meeting though

Shouldn't mix 'most popular' with 'best attended',though.We know speedway is well attended in certain areas,but isn't really popular throughout the nation,so ask the question in certain areas and speedway wouldn't register too high.In others,it would 

Nice that Gollob gets a special mention:)

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Whats the deal with ski jumping in Poland? Seems an odd choice for a popular sport. What am I missing?

19 minutes ago, SCB said:

Whats the deal with ski jumping in Poland? Seems an odd choice for a popular sport. What am I missing?

They've had really good ones for the past few decades, World and Olympic champions like Adam Malysz and currently Kamil Stoch.

We also have had some really good ones over here, but just reading today that it's a possibility that no Finnish jumpers to the Olympics as they are no good ATM.

22 minutes ago, SCB said:

Same in Finland.I think a lot in Poland is down to Malysz.Maybe it was popular before,but he took it to another level,i'd guess.I think he is about the most popular sportsperson in the country over the past decade or more.Maybe Lewandowski comes close?

"A slag supporter is a man between the ages of 40-59 , who lives in a two / three-person household and actively uses the Internet"

This comment/translation could be taken the wrong way!

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Haha 2

If they did the same survey in Britain 80% would say they use to go but only 10% still do and their favourite current rider is Barry Briggs 

On 8.01.2018 at 6:26 PM, iris123 said:

Same in Finland.I think a lot in Poland is down to Malysz.Maybe it was popular before,but he took it to another level,i'd guess.I think he is about the most popular sportsperson in the country over the past decade or more.Maybe Lewandowski comes close?

Yes, you're quite right in your insight on Polish matters. Good for you.

Anyway, speedway is popular in the areas where there are speedway clubs. If you happened to be holidaying in Poland's North-East, there are thousands of lakes and pine woods, if you have asked local people about speedway, they probably would not know what you are talking about.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

Yes, you're quite right in your insight on Polish matters. Good for you.

Anyway, speedway is popular in the areas where there are speedway clubs. If you happened to be holidaying in Poland's North-East, there are thousands of lakes and pine woods, if you have asked local people about speedway, they probably would not know what you are talking about.

Well I do work with 4 polish guys who are under 40 years old.One as you mention does come from a place near Bialystok.Not really speedway country

Totally agree with  Polski Zuzel speedway is very popular in cities that have speedway and usually surrounding areas but outside of it not so and yes that North-East part of Poland is alien to speedway it is one of the reasons why speedway was rarely show on national Tv as tthe sport was not popular in Warsaw due to lack of speedway track or team especially in Communnist era Poland.

On 27/01/2018 at 3:48 AM, pawel115 said:

...the sport was not popular in Warsaw due to lack of speedway track or team especially in Communnist era Poland.

Now that's something Poland has in common with the rest of the world. Which other country has a capital city with a current speedway track/team in it?

Isn't Hammerby, who used to race in or around Stockholm the nearest to an answer to that question, and they've gone to wall now, haven't they?

4 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Now that's something Poland has in common with the rest of the world. Which other country has a capital city with a current speedway track/team in it?

Isn't Hammerby, who used to race in or around Stockholm the nearest to an answer to that question, and they've gone to wall now, haven't they?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfslake_Falubaz_Berlin

Ok it isn't really in Berlin,but try telling the marketing people.Just like the aborted Champions League was advertised as being in Berlin.Or just like Ryanair advertise their airports as being in certain cities when they are miles away.Then again isn't it London Gatwick airport?:P

Also Prague, but UKM's point is a good observation. None of the major speedway nations have speedway in their capital city.

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yes exactly. It's like saying Lakeside or Rye House are "London" teams really, isn't it? In any case, I took a look at their web site before writing that, and it looks as dead as a dodo.  http://www.speedwayteam-wolfslake.de/

Cardiff is also a capital city of sorts