British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Memories good and bad.!!

I have often  wondered what people's  Good and Bad speedway  memories were in there time following there beloved sport..Five from each here goes.                   (Good) 1.Watching Briggs for four years awesome. 2.Adams v Crump jnr clashes. 3.Michael Lee winning the world final 4.Kenny Carter qualifying from the Oxford WC semi round 5.Michael Lee destroying Carter 4.0 in the two legged golden helmet.                                      (Bad) 1.Briggs crashing out in the 1972 WF. 2.Gary Petersen.   Kevin Holden.   Tommy Jansson deaths i was at school then hard to take in.  RIP.     3.Michael Lee ban.   4.John Berry not being made supremo for British speedway.  5. Kenny Carter /Billy Sanders suicides.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Another good thread Sid!

Best memories?

1. My very first meeting at Cowley (1972 vs. Coventry)

2. White City winning at Wolves in 1977 thereby winning the league.

3. Oxford vs. Ipswich (KOC Final Second Leg). Best ever meeting at Cowley during my time in my opinion.

4. Hans Nielsen winning the World Championship in 1986 at Katowice...I was there!

5. Oxford hammering the enemy (Swindon 'Budgies') at 'The Abbey' in 1986.

Worse memories?

1. Any deaths at speedway (thankfully I was never present at any meeting when a rider was killed) but they all left a profound effect on me.

2. Travelling a great distance to be met with a postponement announcement.

3. The demise of the second half...used to have some great second halves at Cowley during 'The Rebels' era.

4. The closure of White City and Oxford as speedway venues.

5. Seeing the sport decline in popularity and I can't see it being reversed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Another good thread Sid!

Best memories?

1. My very first meeting at Cowley (1972 vs. Coventry)

2. White City winning at Wolves in 1977 thereby winning the league.

3. Oxford vs. Ipswich (KOC Final Second Leg). Best ever meeting at Cowley during my time in my opinion.

4. Hans Nielsen winning the World Championship in 1986 at Katowice...I was there!

5. Oxford hammering the enemy (Swindon 'Budgies') at 'The Abbey' in 1986.

Worse memories?

1. Any deaths at speedway (thankfully I was never present at any meeting when a rider was killed) but they all left a profound effect on me.

2. Travelling a great distance to be met with a postponement announcement.

3. The demise of the second half...used to have some great second halves at Cowley during 'The Rebels' era.

4. The closure of White City and Oxford as speedway venues.

5. Seeing the sport decline in popularity and I can't see it being reversed.

Very interesting Steve, was Hans lucky in 86? 

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Very interesting Steve, was Hans lucky in 86? 

...I must admit my heart was in my mouth awaiting the referee's decision! However my view (and it's biased of course) was that Tommy Knudsen was guilty of taking another 'square bend' as he was apt to to do and as he attempted to correct himself Hans had filled the gap. There was often tension between Nielsen and Knudsen when they met with their respective teams and both were guilty of taking each other to the fence so swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned.

Good:

1 - My first meeting at Swindon. I had been to a meeting at Weymouth earlier in the year, which had inspired me to go again - but Swindon was another level. I can still picture it now. It seemed so much faster and more professional than the meeting at Weymouth. It was Swindon v Wolves in 1974. Martin Ashby broke the track record and beat this guy called Ole Olsen, who everyone was mocking because he only scored 7 points from 5 rides.

2 - Going to Poland in 1976 and seeing Peter Collins become World Champion.

3 - Swindon signing Andrew Silver after his brilliance at no 8 the year before.

4 - Cradley walking out at Oxford in the snow. Not sure why, but I loved that meeting!

5 - Swindon coach trips to World Finals and away meetings.

Bad:

1 - See Steve Roberts good point no 5!

2 - The same as you, Sidney, with Petersen, Holden and Jansson. Like you, Sidney, I was at school at the time and those three had such a profound effect on me and I became a bit obsessed with all three.

3 - Reading and Oxford closing down.

4 - Going to a Swindon v Glasgow meeting after many years away, and standing on a near empty second bend and watching a dull match with a very small crowd. I couldn't believe how much the atmosphere at Swindon had changed. I do think it picked up again later, when Rosco came into the club, but that was a real shock.

5 - Watching Reading and Oxford celebrate World Champions and waiting over 40 years for Swindon to have the World Champion in their side themselves, only for Jason Doyle to win it and then get dropped before riding for th club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...I must admit my heart was in my mouth awaiting the referee's decision! However my view (and it's biased of course) was that Tommy Knudsen was guilty of taking another 'square bend' as he was apt to to do and as he attempted to correct himself Hans had filled the gap. There was often tension between Nielsen and Knudsen when they met with their respective teams and both were guilty of taking each other to the fence so swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned.

I think Hans deserved the rub of the green in that incident as he had been very unlucky  before.That incident as in the Penhall/Carter clash for me the rule is wrong no one could be sure in either case so all four should of been back in.Knudsen was a very good rider at his best very fast as you said at Cowley i saw alot of tough encounters between the two and the top three Danes at there best were formidable.

• Like 1

Hans should have been excluded. Much as I was a supporter of him and felt he was easily the best rider in the World, I just can't see how he got away with it.

I just took another look at it on Youtube. Tommy is going round mid bend. Hans is inside and moves out towards him, and Tommy actually tries to move further out at the last minute to avoid getting hit, but Hans takes him out.

No denying Hans was the best in theWorld, and maybe he needed to get the rub of the green just that once to get off the ground with World Championship wins, but he got away with that one.

25 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Good:

1 - My first meeting at Swindon. I had been to a meeting at Weymouth earlier in the year, which had inspired me to go again - but Swindon was another level. I can still picture it now. It seemed so much faster and more professional than the meeting at Weymouth. It was Swindon v Wolves in 1974. Martin Ashby broke the track record and beat this guy called Ole Olsen, who everyone was mocking because he only scored 7 points from 5 rides.

2 - Going to Poland in 1976 and seeing Peter Collins become World Champion.

3 - Swindon signing Andrew Silver after his brilliance at no 8 the year before.

4 - Cradley walking out at Oxford in the snow. Not sure why, but I loved that meeting!

5 - Swindon coach trips to World Finals and away meetings.

Bad:

1 - See Steve Roberts good point no 5!

2 - The same as you, Sidney, with Petersen, Holden and Jansson. Like you, Sidney, I was at school at the time and those three had such a profound effect on me and I became a bit obsessed with all three.

3 - Reading and Oxford closing down.

4 - Going to a Swindon v Glasgow meeting after many years away, and standing on a near empty second bend and watching a dull match with a very small crowd. I couldn't believe how much the atmosphere at Swindon had changed. I do think it picked up again later, when Rosco came into the club, but that was a real shock.

5 - Watching Reading and Oxford celebrate World Champions and waiting over 40 years for Swindon to have the World Champion in their side themselves, only for Jason Doyle to win it and then get dropped before riding for th club.

I must of been on the same coaches as you as myself,Hagonshocker, did alot of meetings i think i went to Belle Vue a few times for rain offs which was gutting at the time.Trevor Claridge was on those coaches along with Ade Fisher and they were great days loved Hyde Rd and the Shay especially today is not quite the same but when you see a great race you still get a buzz..

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I must of been on the same coaches as you as myself,Hagonshocker, did alot of meetings i think i went to Belle Vue a few times for rain offs which was gutting at the time.Trevor Claridge was on those coaches along with Ade Fisher and they were great days loved Hyde Rd and the Shay especially today is not quite the same but when you see a great race you still get a buzz..

I remember a trip to The Shay. Phil Crump beat Kenny Carter twice in the match, and then won the second half. I remember Trevor being on those trips. My parents were good friends with his parents.

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I remember a trip to The Shay. Phil Crump beat Kenny Carter twice in the match, and then won the second half. I remember Trevor being on those trips. My parents were good friends with his parents.

I think i know you but i  wont say owt as that is not right but i remember you went to alot of meetings.I was there for that Halifax match when Crumpie was awesome also remember. winning 40 38 at Reading 1980 Briggs jnr rode and there was a massive spat between Briggo snr and Steve Gresham.

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think i know you but i  wont say owt as that is not right but i remember you went to alot of meetings.I was there for that Halifax match when Crumpie was awesome also remember. winning 40 38 at Reading 1980 Briggs jnr rode and there was a massive spat between Briggo snr and Steve Gresham.

I'm intrigued now! I've often wondered if I know you too, from those times, as we seem to share similar memories a lot of the time!

Winning at Swindon and Oxford was always the best thing, as we always tended to be poor relations to one or the other (or both!) over the years. Things were so much better when we had that three-way rivaly, and I used to regularly go to all three.

39 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm intrigued now! I've often wondered if I know you too, from those times, as we seem to share similar memories a lot of the time!

Winning at Swindon and Oxford was always the best thing, as we always tended to be poor relations to one or the other (or both!) over the years. Things were so much better when we had that three-way rivaly, and I used to regularly go to all three.

Oxford and Reading i did  those regularly for three or four years followed Malc Holloway so got to see PerJonsson alot and well Nielsen ( was not a fan but got to greatly admire him a real  class act.Going back to yourself maybe i am wrong Nick Morris photo with your young lad??? maybe that will ring a bell as i said  i could be wrong.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Good

1.       The West Ham v. Wimbledon 1965 Cup Quarter Final Replay. The night Malcolm Simmons became an overnight star…after three years! Best meeting I have ever seen.

2.      West Ham winning the League in 1965 at Cradley Heath and the coach journey back to London afterwards!

3.      My first meeting on 11 May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich and seeing Ove Fundin and Aub Lawson in full flow, but especially Jimmy Gooch beating Aub!

4.      Ove Fundin winning the 1967 World Final. I had gone with a group of friends from college in Norwich, who knew nothing about speedway and, although I didn’t hold out much hope, I persuaded them all to support Mr Norwich.

5.      Ove Fundin beating Briggo 2-0 at New Cross in 1960 to win the Golden Helmet, breaking the track record in both races.

Bad

1.    As everyone says, riders getting killed, especially the couple I actually witnessed

2.       New Cross closing down

3.       West Ham closing down

4.       Having to put up with double points, jokers, silly helmets, etc.

5.       The demise of the Golden Helmet in its original form.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Oxford and Reading i did  those regularly for three or four years followed Malc Holloway so got to see PerJonsson alot and well Nielsen ( was not a fan but got to greatly admire him a real  class act.Going back to yourself maybe i am wrong Nick Morris photo with your young lad??? maybe that will ring a bell as i said  i could be wrong.

I think you've got me lol.  One with Nick and one with Darcy.

Good

The Kestrels doing the double in 88 (made all the sweeter by beating the Dons in the cup.)

Finishing second in 1980-even though we started the year with no recognised superstar as opposed to Reading having three.

The joy of being able to watch Barry Thomas every Friday night!

Mark Loram winning the World Championship.

All the laughs we had helping out on Saturday training days.

Bad

Watching Vic Harding and Paul Muchene lose their lives (thankfully I wasn't there when Denny Pyeatt was killed.)

Hackney closing mid-way through the 91 season.

Andy Galvin breaking his thigh at Rye House and never being the same rider after.

England being pipped by the Swedes in the 2004 World Cup (damn you Mr Andersen!)

On a purely selfish note, being deprived of years of entertainment by Darcy Ward's crash.

• Like 1