British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayTShirts

Farewell Brandon - A Video Fly By

So sad!

• Like 1

Over and done with, my memories of watching almost every match at Brandon from 1973 - 1997 ( when I lived in Northampton ). I was a biker for all of that time and loved the ride there ( although there were very few other bikers ). Some fantastic racing and controversies Thank you lads, Big Names or not but I remember vividly Andy Smith's amazing on track efforts among so many others. And oddly, the first race win Peter Lloyd ever had there ( maybe the only one? ).All consigned to the archive now and never to be replaced with new on track clashes and rivalries.

• Like 1

Went to Brandon the once, 2005 Play-Off Final, and remember instantly wondering why the place hadn't been "had" for redevelopment. The area surrounding it, from memory, looked better groomed for expensive homes rather than a rundown speedway stadium (from the outside). Since then I became surprised that Coventry lasted this long, sparse crowds not a big enough army to fend off bulldozers and wallets. 

Since then I became surprised that Coventry lasted this long, sparse crowds not a big enough army to fend off bulldozers and wallets.

Not sure I agree with that bit about sparse crowds because Coventry had pretty good attendances compared to all the other tracks ~ perhaps only Poole getting more (if they were on a winning streak) and combined with the Stock Cars it was quite viable. From 2010 onwards though when Sandhu took over with the intention of building houses on the land it was on borrowed time so I suppose I've got to agree it has done well to last this long. Very sad. :neutral:

• Like 2

Interesting views but at the same time so sad, the place just stood there, quiet & empty.  Some good memories, Brandon was one of the first away trips I was allowed got 'alone' to via supporters club coach, somehow forgot to mention to the folks that I wouldn't be back in Hull til 3am-ish.  As a matter of interest does anyone know who owns the house / building outside the stadium on turn 3 ?....

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

Not sure I agree with that bit about sparse crowds because Coventry had pretty good attendances compared to all the other tracks ~ perhaps only Poole getting more (if they were on a winning streak) and combined with the Stock Cars it was quite viable. From 2010 onwards though when Sandhu took over with the intention of building houses on the land it was on borrowed time so I suppose I've got to agree it has done well to last this long. Very sad. :neutral:

Feared for Coventry's future after Sandhu took over, to be honest, and then I witnessed the area the stadium was in. And so we are where we are...

It's quite disillusioning, the way established speedways can be wiped out at the click of a finger. When Cradley vanish, and then Coventry, Oxford and Reading, established tracks and with recent boom periods during the 80s, is anything in the sport safe? I am a little amazed that the new Belle Vue was built, and perhaps Swindon. Speedway is so fragile and a track can be gone in an instant. It mirrors a rider's association with any one particular club.

In fact,  just typing this made me realise how many past league winning tracks are no more.

Regarding Coventry's sparse crowds - I only saw it on TV and video but compared to the 80s, the back straight was empty and an ice cream van on its own on the fourth bend.  The main stand may have been packed but the camerman didn't show it. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Very sad, visited Brandon many times usually to see Newport get thumped from the sixties through the seventies, remember many british finals & particularly little boy blues testimonial on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Along with Hyde road was certainly one ofnthe best away trips 

• Like 1

I asked on the Coventry 2017 what, if anything, has happened to Nigel Boocock's ashes - does anyone know for certain?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Regarding Coventry's sparse crowds - I only saw it on TV and video but compared to the 80s, the back straight was empty and an ice cream van on its own on the fourth bend.  The main stand may have been packed but the camerman didn't show it. 

Well, yes compared to the 80's it was sparse but that's the  same at all tracks unfortunately. Not helped of course by the fact the camera very rarely shows where most people are which is in the grandstand that holds 2,000 and a lot of people stay at home when it's on Sky. :neutral:

• Like 1

Looking at that video there is no way back now for speedway at that stadium. Its been left to decay and fall apart and the bulldozers will be in any day now. 

Coventry have a huge fan base so if someone could come up with a new plot of land for a stadium, it should be a success. As long as Watson and Horton are not involved, that is as anything they touch becomes a mess.

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Looking at that video there is no way back now for speedway at that stadium. Its been left to decay and fall apart and the bulldozers will be in any day now. 

Coventry have a huge fan base so if someone could come up with a new plot of land for a stadium, it should be a success. As long as Watson and Horton are not involved, that is as anything they touch becomes a mess.

Mick Horton remains the Club owner so is integral to the return of the Club to Coventry. 

If someone i.e Joe Bloggs was willing to open a brand new stadium for top flight speedway in Coventry, something Horton isnt capable of doing, surely Horton would have no problem in passing the name over ?

as apart from the name and a couple of assets, what does owning Coventry Speedway mean? 

It was bad news as soon as he became involved in Coventry, all the fans on here bar one or two called it.