British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayTShirts

Farewell Brandon - A Video Fly By

Very sad to see but it's a typical tactic of an owner of a site/building when they're refused planning permission,you just allow it to crumble and become dangerous, &  dilapidated  then eventually the planning permission will be granted as the local authorities will be glad to get rid of an ugly eyesore . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Very sad to see but it's a typical tactic of an owner of a site/building when they're refused planning permission,you just allow it to crumble and become dangerous, &  dilapidated  then eventually the planning permission will be granted as the local authorities will be glad to get rid of an ugly eyesore . 

...unfortunately the same thing is happening at Cowley and when I once put the question to the then owners was told that it wasn't true. Last time I looked in at the stadium it was in a terrible state and despite all the good efforts I can't see the facility remaining for much longer.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

So sad, what happened to Brandon. I had many an enjoyable meeting there.

I remember a brilliant night not so long ago. Swindon put in an amazing win, with Darcy Ward in a class of his own.

I never, for one second during that meeting, considered that it might be the last time I visited Brandon or the last time I would see Darcy ride.

It turned out to be both. Life, eh?

• Like 1

I went to Brandon only once when I was visiting some relatives in the area. There was no Speedway that day either - I just wanted to see the Home of the famous Coventry 'Bees'. I can remember looking through the open gates and thinking, what a beautiful Speedway Stadium.

It makes me so very, very sad watching the 'Clip' in the original Post. (Thank you for Posting that by the way Superbart).

So much History gone, just like that.

It is very sad, and makes me think back to 1974, the last time Speedway was seen in the Sunderland area - but at least our Stadium is still there. I really feel for all the Coventry Supporters and sincerely hope that an alternative Site for a Track can be found.

Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

Great video of the old lady in a sad state, was this done after the recent fire? The only time I went to Brandon was the Play Off final Poole lost and was disappointed about how poor the track was that night having seen better meeting previously. Even so still sad all the same

It is very sad to see it like this, although even it is all still fixable while there is still hope.

The saddest thing and what really is hard to take if this is the end of Brandon Stadium is that we should have never finished like this, it deserved a huge send off, we deserved to be able to enjoy the last meeting and sad as it sounds but say goodbye. I walked out after the last stock car meeting and thought how devistated I'd be if the deal hadn't been thrashed out a few months earlier, little did I know that the stock car meeting was possibly the final laps to be completed. 

So very sad for all of us Coventry fans and all fans of speedway. 

• Like 3

Went a couple of years ago to Brandon, depressing place, very empty, racing was awful, staff were unprofessional and unfriendly (typical speedway) I was even told that one of the snack bars didn't sell chips becasue "they were too popular":blink:

League Speedway in the UK will become a hobby (if that) because of the very low intellect, insular dimwits who have owned the clubs for the past 40 years

• Like 1

A very sad video. Its just a matter of time before its another housing estate. I first went to Speedway at the Norwich Firs stadium in 1963, and at the end of 1964 I was devastated to see the same thing happen there, so I know how Coventry supporters must feel. My heart goes out to you all, and lets hope you have better luck finding a new home for the Bees, than we did in Norwich.

• Like 1

ITV Central News are doing a piece from Brandon, with Jeff Davies which is due to be shown on Friday 19th at 6.00 pm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

ITV Central News are doing a piece from Brandon, with Jeff Davies which is due to be shown on Friday 19th at 6.00 pm.

For those of us not in the Central TV area, if there is any way of posting a link to the piece Dave, that would be much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Where to from there?

Beats me.:unsure:

Excellent feature on the situation on Central Television last evening (Friday). I have been a strong critic of Steve Clamp and Central for some years but on this occasion his presentation was extremely good, and having exchanged E-Mails with him since, he is clearly sympathetic towards the fight to save the stadium.

The one thing which did strike me whilst watching the programme however, was the sheer size of the land on which the present stadium is sited. Surely there would be room for a housing estate AND a smaller replacement stadium (as has been promised, although still not delivered), at Swindon? I am just wondering whether this idea could be floated as a possible way of breaking the impasse with Brandon Estates?

Edited by brianbuck