British Speedway Forum
SCB

OAP concessions, why?

Respect for your elders.

Actually, all the incomes quoted there are pretty crap if you are looking to go to speedway every week - unless you are living in a house free of charge.

• Like 1

Bit of a generalisation SCB, there's plenty of pensioners on basic pension and maybe a small personal pension .....

• Like 7

Theatres , cinemas , trains , buses ,football games.... all give concessions amongst many others.

there are plenty of pensioners who are very glad of a little financial help

• Like 4

I wish I was on that £20k a year pension - fact is I am far below it.

If that £20k is some sort of average, it could include those directors who were earning £300k+ and receive pensions of £80k-£100k. Nice if you can get it.

I doubt that there are many rich pensioners that include speedway as an interest..

The OAP concession should remain:t:

• Like 6

Whatever the pension payout, many may have contributed to the fund during the working life so will have saved and made financial sacrifices. However in real terms most blacks policies or annuities now offer poor returns compared to a few years back. A £50k pot/fund would get you roughly £2k per annum pension at 65 on a Joint basis. Some will have contributed to the pot possibly through salary sacrifice. This excludes any state pension. Add to the fact that interest rates have been held low meaning that anyone with savings relying on income through interest has lost out in recent years. On the flip side those lucky enough to have mortgages that they can ill afford in normal circumstances have been protected with lending rates that are simply farcical. To harp on about how the younger generation are hard done by everyone needs to consider how long it takes to build up a pot to carry you through retirement. The state cannot support the sick, those who need care etc. Assets are be sold by the elderly simply to pay for care despit3 th3 fact that over the years they have paid NI. To suggest that the pensioners are so well off is written by those you have no idea of the reality and is sensational clap trap. The younger generation need to get their priorities right and start looking thirty or forty years ahead and not the short termism that is so evident in their attitude while whinging that everyone older is better off. Most elderly have worked hard for what they have and those graduates are just starting off on that journey, so they need to plan and stop complaing. No one owes them a living or a right to an inflated standard that so many aspire.

It's funny, I get called ageist and selfish for asking a simple question that not one person has been able to justify. I point out that on average OAPs have more money that working people, I can justify my argument. I don't call people names, I don't get personal yet amazingly a number of non-ageist and selfless OAPs on this thread have done so, fantastic.

Seriously, can anyone actually answer the question, why do OAPs get a discount? Because they don't need it, they on average earn more than people who work.

Just because we can all name one poor OAP and one rich young person doesn't mean thats how it works, thats the beauty of averages.

You all want your OAP discount because many OAPs are poor but where the young or working person discount if they're very poor? This discount is given out simply because people are old, thats IS ageist. If ti was a poor person discount and people had to prove their income/wealth then fine. If it was a loyalty discount and people had to prove they had been going to speedway a long time then fine. But this is just a discount for being old, THAT is the very definition of ageist. The fact that nobody has been able to justify it but has in stead chosen to attack me only further makes me think that I am right.

And yes, I will keep bringing up the injustice that old people get loads of free/subsidised stuff while the young are left to pay for it while the young continue to be screwed over. I don't see how it's selfish that I care about the 18-25 year old of this country, because I don't fit into that age range and haven't for a while now, thats the very definition of selfless, the opposite of selfish.

As for RobMcCaffery, posting outright lies again. I have NEVER watched a Newport vs Sittingbourne meeting. Nice one. So excuse me if I treat the rest of your post with disdain as you have made that up, why should I care about the rest of the post. If you can't see that old people will die before young people, well..... You're an idiot.

As for the claim of "generalisation" well yes, thats the point of averages but how many people have "generalised" that OAP are poor? Which is odd because you see very few studies suggesting this.

So I ask again, why do OAPs get a discount on speedway (and trains, cinemas, football match etc) when they earn more than some people who are working? It makes no sense. if OAPs earned less I'd agree with it, but they do not in the main.

6 hours ago, SCB said:

It's funny, I get called ageist and selfish for asking a simple question that not one person has been able to justify. I point out that on average OAPs have more money that working people, I can justify my argument. I don't call people names, I don't get personal yet amazingly a number of non-ageist and selfless OAPs on this thread have done so, fantastic.

Seriously, can anyone actually answer the question, why do OAPs get a discount? Because they don't need it, they on average earn more than people who work.

Just because we can all name one poor OAP and one rich young person doesn't mean thats how it works, thats the beauty of averages.

You all want your OAP discount because many OAPs are poor but where the young or working person discount if they're very poor? This discount is given out simply because people are old, thats IS ageist. If ti was a poor person discount and people had to prove their income/wealth then fine. If it was a loyalty discount and people had to prove they had been going to speedway a long time then fine. But this is just a discount for being old, THAT is the very definition of ageist. The fact that nobody has been able to justify it but has in stead chosen to attack me only further makes me think that I am right.

And yes, I will keep bringing up the injustice that old people get loads of free/subsidised stuff while the young are left to pay for it while the young continue to be screwed over. I don't see how it's selfish that I care about the 18-25 year old of this country, because I don't fit into that age range and haven't for a while now, thats the very definition of selfless, the opposite of selfish.

As for RobMcCaffery, posting outright lies again. I have NEVER watched a Newport vs Sittingbourne meeting. Nice one. So excuse me if I treat the rest of your post with disdain as you have made that up, why should I care about the rest of the post. If you can't see that old people will die before young people, well..... You're an idiot.

As for the claim of "generalisation" well yes, thats the point of averages but how many people have "generalised" that OAP are poor? Which is odd because you see very few studies suggesting this.

So I ask again, why do OAPs get a discount on speedway (and trains, cinemas, football match etc) when they earn more than some people who are working? It makes no sense. if OAPs earned less I'd agree with it, but they do not in the main.

In one sentence you claim that you don't call people names, & then you call Rob an idiot. Priceless !!!

• Like 1