Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
SCB

OAP concessions, why?

Recommended Posts

It might be time for a four match boycott from the start of 2018 by all those who qualify for ( and need to take the discount ) some tracks would lose 25 / 30 % ion the crowd,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the OAPs that go to speedway have also encouraged their son's & grandson's to get interested in speedway, and this is still often the case, so I think they deserve their discount.

Unfortunately in Belle Vue's case, the competition from Man United & Man City is too big a lure when the youngsters get into their teens.  A couple we stood with had a young son, and as he got older he was constantly whingeing to his parents " can't you take me to Man United". After a while we never saw his parents or him at speedway again.

I daresay if my grandson had to choose between Football or speedway, if they clashed or he could not afford both, that football would win out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure at Coventry, They got rid of the concessions and it caused a few people not to go any more. At one stage I am sure they messed about with student discounts as well, I remember it getting messy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article in this weeks Speedway Star about the future of the sport and the need to attract the younger audience to watch Speedway because if we don’t there will be a predicted black hole of fans in a few years time. The fan base is already dwindling fast with younger people in the 18-30 age bracket not interested in Speedway or very few are.

A very informative piece which also looks at engine development in these environmentally challenging times when vehicles are moving towards greener fuels and electric power and what shape if any Speedway will take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

It might be time for a four match boycott from the start of 2018 by all those who qualify for ( and need to take the discount ) some tracks would lose 25 / 30 % ion the crowd,

By that if all those that dont get a discount undertook a similar boycott the crowd would be down 70/75%.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are not far from that 100% boycott anyway. The end is nigh unless the product is greatly improved and the presentation brought into the 21st century. So you may be right, it doesn't matter very much , who - if anybody gets a discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

By that if all those that dont get a discount undertook a similar boycott the crowd would be down 70/75%.....

Agree but the clubs cannot afford to lose either group with the dire situation many of them are in.

The worrying point is that very few or none of them know what to do to grow the fan base and attendance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

According to the Office for National Statistics, that's not true.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/nowcastinghouseholdincomeintheuk/financialyearending2017

They say that the median retired household's income is £22,400, that of a non retired household is £29,300 (the equivalent mean is £26,347 and £34,363). That's about 30% lower.

Having said that, the gap in the last 10 years has narrowed significantly. While non retired household incomes have remained the same, retired households have increased by almost 25% .

To me, that means you have a point and don't deserve the abuse thrown in your direction simply for raising this issue. 

Until, however, those two figures match each other then I think the case for the discount is justified, quite aside from the fact that certainly some of my retired friends would stop going if speedway did away with that reduction and that's regardless of the income they receive. There are a lot of retired people that go to speedway - although the proportion is nothing like what you have made it out to be - and the sport simply can't afford to risk losing them. 

 

One of the best and as ever from you,fairest posts on the thread.

It is a reasonable topic to hold.It is fair to ask why a certain group in society receive such a benefit across the board.I mean a millionaire pensioner gets in at a reduced price,not only for speedway,whereas someone of say 30 years old who is working in a poorly paid job has to pay full whack.We even get,although I guess it was tongue in check,someone saying kids should also pay.Students also often get reduced prices,but some students are sons and daughters of millionaires and some even millionaires in their own right.The fair way would be to have people pay at the level their bank balance allows,but is impossible to police.

 

You do also point out that some,like your friends think,maybe rightly, that reductions for pensioners are has more to do with recognition of their contribution to society.Maybe that was one of the reasons years ago to do with those who fought for the country etc.But a lot of those benefit scroungers from the 70s are now pensioners,who hardly contributed a thing to the country.If they take their reduction away,as you say,regardless of their wealth,they won't go.Rather like some of these ex-riders,who maybe turned out half a dozen times for a club won't go unless they get in for nowt!!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

From what I've seen its 70 percent oap and 30 the rest...   The oap queue is far far the longest at the entrance

 

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

One of the best and as ever from you,fairest posts on the thread.

It is a reasonable topic to hold.It is fair to ask why a certain group in society receive such a benefit across the board.I mean a millionaire pensioner gets in at a reduced price,not only for speedway,whereas someone of say 30 years old who is working in a poorly paid job has to pay full whack.We even get,although I guess it was tongue in check,someone saying kids should also pay.Students also often get reduced prices,but some students are sons and daughters of millionaires and some even millionaires in their own right.The fair way would be to have people pay at the level their bank balance allows,but is impossible to police.

 

You do also point out that some,like your friends think,maybe rightly, that reductions for pensioners are has more to do with recognition of their contribution to society.Maybe that was one of the reasons years ago to do with those who fought for the country etc.But a lot of those benefit scroungers from the 70s are now pensioners,who hardly contributed a thing to the country.If they take their reduction away,as you say,regardless of their wealth,they won't go.Rather like some of these ex-riders,who maybe turned out half a dozen times for a club won't go unless they get in for nowt!!! 

Does anybody seriously think that SCB "just raised the issue" I certainly don't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he saw what he thought was a relevant article in the news and then made a thread out if it,like many hundreds of others have done on different topics.That is to an extent what this forum is about,surely?:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does that matter?You still have to look at the topic and ask yourself 'is there a point worth discussing'?I agree with Halifaxtiger,that some people have aimed abuse at scb for no real good reason

 

As I have said,if the oap reduction is a sort of mark of respect for all the years of service to club and country,then I wouldn't argue against it

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately in my view topics like these are raised  not for a general discussion but through resentment that some get  a benefit not available to others.

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×