British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bunce

A Speedway Housing Estate!

It seems the memory of Speedway at the famous Norwich "Firs" stadium, has now attracted the attention of a housing developer. Lovell Homes are building a new estate just up the road from the site of the old Norwich Speedway Firs Stadium, and to honour the memory of many of the riders, they have named each house type after famous riders from the past. So if you buy a house at the new Firs Park development, it could be a Betts or a Lawson or one of many others. They even have a picture of the old Firs Stadium in their brochure.  Great idea, well done Lovell Homes.

http://www.lovellnewhomes.co.uk/developments/east-anglia/firs-park/location

http://www.lovellnewhomes.co.uk/documents/uploads/brochures/FirsParkBrochureWEB.pdf

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

There's been a speedway housing estate on the site of West ham's custom house stadium for over 40 years. I still get a tear in my eye on the rare occasion I drive past it!

If only a piece of land there or thereabouts could've been made into a new Norwich Speedway.... start small etc

This is what they built in place of the old Norwich Speedway site at the Firs

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6664092,1.2723313,3a,82.5y,223.28h,88.27t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPwepnI6Vwp9HK2jiMCPsxQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DPwepnI6Vwp9HK2jiMCPsxQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D175.1288%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

If you swing the picture round on the opposite side of the road you can see the old Firs pub that Gordon Parkins the Norwich Speedway manager used to run. The pub kept going for a few years after the speedway closed but has now fallen victim to a Tesco Convenience Store

Edited by mike1944

6 hours ago, adonis said:

the ultimate insult . is to build on something iconic and then name the streets after icons ,,,

Like Stadium Drive at Dudley Wood

21 hours ago, adonis said:

the ultimate insult . is to build on something iconic and then name the streets after icons ,,,

The new Lovell houses are not on the actual site of the Firs, but a site half a mile away that used to be a ceramic tile factory on Eversley Rd. The Firs stadium site became a housing estate not long after it closed in the late 1960's. Unfortunately none of the roads on that site are named after riders, just a continuation of the existing "Meadow Way".

18 hours ago, Trees said:

If only a piece of land there or thereabouts could've been made into a new Norwich Speedway.... start small etc

We tried Trees, boy did we try! I think it was the 17th attempt at refusal of planning permission, or maybe the second public inquiry, that I decided to call it a day.