British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

SBP best pairs 2018 live on Eurosport

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Hmmm - a little too Zielona Gora-flavoured for my taste. My loyalties are now up for grabs. I can't see there being a queue. :D

It was a reasonably interesting meeting but not a classic by Torun standards. Like many I find the whole sponsored team format questionable and wonder if once Onesport were prevented from using international 'teams' that it might have been wiser to simply close down the pairs. Still, it was a  couple of hours' speedway and to me that's a better way to spend a couple of hours, even if the result  is pretty irrelevant, but then we live in an era when even league matches are dismissed as 'meaningless' by some elements of the BSF. 

It was enjoyable but I am still very wary of Onesport, even if the conflict with Britain has been eased by the BSPA agreeing to be corralled into a two night week for their top league. I suspect they won't be happy until they have the SGP contract, at which point I doubt we'll see any more of these events or the SEC. 

Konikiwicz explained the situation in a recent Spar interview regarding why SBP had to continue with sponsored teams after national teams were denied... It had to.

36 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

In the SEC he was terrible- finishing 12th with 20pts over the 4 meetings

He is Inconsistant ,he can look a world beater some weeks but there again that goes for a number of riders,they are earnining a living though.

53 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Konikiwicz explained the situation in a recent Spar interview regarding why SBP had to continue with sponsored teams after national teams were denied... It had to.

Thanks, I'm fully aware of the background to the change. However I fail to see why it had to continue, beyond One Sport's own business needs. It's scarcely for the benefit of the sport overall to stage three more meetings of questionable relevance in an already busy international season. Yes we had a moderately entertaining speedway meeting on Sunday but was it really worthwhile beyond the needs of One Sport, the sponsors and a run out for the riders? The attendance figure tells it all and the TV audience figures will have been surely inflated by the long winter break. 

If it's on I'll watch it because I love speedway and would watch every meeting worldwide if it was humanly possible. I just am very suspicious of why these One Sport events exist, beyond the chance to make a a bit of cash, which after all is the aim of business, but is it the aim of sport? 

Well if he had ( I dont know) a six year Eurosport deal to stage 3 pairs meetings or pay 1 million zloty in fines, I know what I would have done... I’m not that bothered anymore, but the way that OneSport was allowed in to the market and stage Sec and how it behaved, still gives bad vibes. But it’s bygones now, new problems will most certainly wait ahead!

9 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Well if he had ( I dont know) a six year Eurosport deal to stage 3 pairs meetings or pay 1 million zloty in fines, I know what I would have done... I’m not that bothered anymore, but the way that OneSport was allowed in to the market and stage Sec and how it behaved, still gives bad vibes. But it’s bygones now, new problems will most certainly wait ahead!

Unless Polish law is particularly unusual (the deal was between One Sport and Eurosport Poland so presumably Polish law applies) I'd expect that the contract would be easily voidable if the circumstances had been changed by a third party. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

8 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Unless Polish law is particularly unusual (the deal was between One Sport and Eurosport Poland so presumably Polish law applies) I'd expect that the contract would be easily voidable if the circumstances had been changed by a third party. 

And if there wasn't that sort of clause in the contract, then OneSport must have very poor lawyers. 

19 hours ago, f-s-p said:

I think it was clear why national teams weren't allowed, but why didn't they try and do something with club teams? It would have at least had more relevance. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

5 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think it was clear why national teams weren't allowed, but why didn't they try and do something with club teams? It would have at least had more relevance. 

I did not see the point of denying them.

EDIT: in fact there’s an annual team meeting early on in the season in Germany, where countries ride and a couole of years ago Finland was there as well with Germany, Denmark and Sweden all wearing their official national race jackets. Why didnt FIM do anything with that?

EDIT: And one team event (Denmark, Germany, Poland and Team Europe) in Pocking has been cancelled this weekend due to rain. Why did not FIM stop that?

Edited by f-s-p
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, f-s-p said:

I did not see the point of denying them.

EDIT: in fact there’s an annual team meeting early on in the season in Germany, where countries ride and a couole of years ago Finland was there as well with Germany, Denmark and Sweden all wearing their official national race jackets. Why didnt FIM do anything with that?

EDIT: And one team event (Denmark, Germany, Poland and Team Europe) in Pocking has been cancelled this weekend due to rain. Why did not FIM stop that?

It is probably due to concerns by the FIM regarding the activities of One Sport and FIM Europe. Those minor events are probably believed not to be worth pursuing especially since there's a difference between minor local events in Germany and events that are televised across Europe. 

Regarding linking the pairs to actual teams, Zielona Gora and Leszno's sponsors are both involved. LInk Trans MF to Smolinski's German club and you're halfway there. 

There's more money in using sponsors' names of course. #Let's make money and pretend we're helping a sport! 

49 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It is probably due to concerns by the FIM regarding the activities of One Sport and FIM Europe. Those minor events are probably believed not to be worth pursuing especially since there's a difference between minor local events in Germany and events that are televised across Europe. 

Regarding linking the pairs to actual teams, Zielona Gora and Leszno's sponsors are both involved. LInk Trans MF to Smolinski's German club and you're halfway there. 

There's more money in using sponsors' names of course. #Let's make money and pretend we're helping a sport! 

Someone needs to be making money, be it a rider, club or promoter. If a promoter is making money, thats good because he then has the desire to make things happen.

• Like 1

At least one change will need to be made for the 2nd round in Rzeszow as the Danes have a GP and SEC qualifier the same night in Holsted and Leon Madsen is in that meeting.

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

yes live

Thanks. Normally my planner says live if it is.

48 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Thanks. Normally my planner says live if it is.

Meeting starts at 8pm local- so we will see a short item covering  the parade and probably 1st race off at 7.20pm UK time- Dave and Sam are commentating from the track.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1