British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

SBP best pairs 2018 live on Eurosport

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

Why can't those who don't want to watch and enjoy just switch off the TV.

I'm lost why anyone could be upset about money coming into the sport, riders getting paid to race, a good crowd and those who enjoy watching having a nice time.

I do want to watch, that's why it's on the TV. But I want to watch the racing, which means overtakes not toothy long haired blonde  ladies...I believe there are plenty of them on other channels

Nice to see AJ mixing it there in ht12, always liked him and enjoyed his racing style.

22 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I find One Sport and their events an irrelevance that clutter the international schedule.

You're entitled to your opinion. I only wonder what the riders think about these events. I presume that if they think like you do then nobody would turn up at the tapes. There would be no spectators and OneSport would go into liquidation.

Your assumption that by being a British Speedway supporter that I must be a fan of an American (IMG) owned business is a shocking misjudgement.

I think the biggest misjudgement on your side is that I see you as a fan of an American (IMG) owned business. I don't, and I don't know  what made you think that I do?

Indeed it seems that this is a line being pushed in Poland these days, judging by Sportowe 'Fakty' where BSI are portrayed as working in league with British Speedway against the interests of Poland.

BSI might be owned by the Americans but it employs - as far as I know - British personnel and that's enough in Poland to be treated as British run

Whether or not BSI or the FIM are doing an acceptable job is also irrelevant to me. I enjoy watching the Grands Prix but speedway for me is a team sport and my real interest lies purely in the major leagues. 

I am of a different opinion. Speedway to me is an individual sport. Speedway teams are a group of selected riders whose scoring points in a race  are added and treated as scored by a team. It's nothing wrong with this, apart from the fact that it is artificial. Athletics (running, jumping, etc) is also an individual sport although I am old to remember that in the past there were international athletic matches. There were two competitors representing given club, or even a country, in each event (100, 200, 400, 800 meters, etc). Combined results of each individual were treated as the score of competing clubs or nations. The true team sport is for example football. One footballer cannot perform against another in a game of football. In speedway riders can.

Of course the links between business and sport are there. The question is having the right balance.  Just what ARE One Sport achieving, apart from being parasites? 

Parasites??? it's a bit nasty, isn't it. OneSport, like any other body are trying to make a name for themselves, are trying to earn living in what they have chosen to do. What's wrong with that. You might not like it, others might not like it as well. But as long as we're free to do want we want to do, then it is a business like any other business where  dog eats  dog

Right now in Britain we have rather more pressing matters - trying to keep our 90 year old sport from collapsing.

...and if it was up to you ...what would you do to improve it

... I still just love watching speedway, but preferably a team match. 

Best Pairs event is a team competition. Contrary to you, I abandoned watching it after 4 heats.  Those teams means nothing to me. There were so much talk in the past about European Speedway League. OK, the BSI instead of SWC decided to run World Pairs competition where more countries can compete. In my opinion One Sport could/should organise European Speedway Clubs Pairs competition instead what we see now.

Edited by PolskiZuzel

19 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

No reason given- was not announced till last moment before start

Milik and Fricke are Sparta Wroclaw riders and the Polish commentator said that it was them (Sparta) who refused permission for Milik and Fricke to ride at Rzeszow. They need to concentrate their mind and body (not get injured) on the forthcoming ExtraLiga match against Gorzow

That's 2 abysmal pairs meetings so far

22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's 2 abysmal pairs meetings so far

Agreed, very boring, thats why I dont like pairs meeting and wont be going to Belle Vue for the new world cup semi/qualifier/whatever.

Generally boring but interesting at the same time. Takeaways for me:

I thought that Hancock looked pretty good and Holder seems to have found something since last year.

I would like to see Madsen and Hample in the GP.  I must have missed it but could someone tell me why Hample was never considered for the GP after his World Cup injury.

Did anyone notice that Chugunov although not scoring many points was running very close to Emil and Hample in one heat and another one or two good riders in another. I think that there's a lot of potential there.

Between the Polish leagues and this meet Dudek doesn't seem as quick this year.

Speaking of the Polish Leagues.....Woffington looks VERY fast and his heart seems to be in it. Lingren also looks quicker than last year.

Hampel took a long time to get his form back after a bad leg break.    Good to se him riding well again but probably there are too many Poles in the GP for a wild card.

Eurosport 2 on Thursday 10th May from Landshut start time 12 noon UK time

line-ups and draw

TRANS MF PRO RACE TEAM
1. Leon Madsen
2. Andzejs Lebedevs
13. Valentin Grobauer

TEAN BAUHAUS
3. Andreas Jonsson

4. Jacob Thorssell
14. Wiktor Lampart

STARKOM Racing Team
5. Vaclav Milik
6. Gleb Chugunov

Ekantor.pl
7. Grzegorz Zengota
8. Piotr Protasiewicz

FOGO POWER
9. Jarosław Hampel
10. Janusz Kołodziej
17. Piotr Pawlicki

MONSTER ENERGY
11. Jack Holder
12. Paweł Przedpełski

On 20/04/2018 at 7:54 PM, Mark said:

Why can't those who don't want to watch and enjoy just switch off the TV.

I'm lost why anyone could be upset about money coming into the sport, riders getting paid to race, a good crowd and those who enjoy watching having a nice time.

Mark, I do want to watch the meetings. They are speedway and I love the sport. But I can also have my reservations whether the meeting should be staged. Yes money comes into the sport - and goes straight to the wealthiest sector of it, Poland. Few benefit overall except those already coining it in.

I've worked in speedway and followed it as a supporter for long enough (getting on for half a century now) to hopefully have earned a voice, now whether you don't like what I say, if you can understand it, if I feel that a point needs to be raised for the good of the sport I will. I leave it to others to have their petty wind-ups and vendettas. If I have to switch off the TV just because I feel that something is wrong, can I suggest you switch off the forum if you equally see something you don't like? 

Everything I have said or done in the sport has been for what I believe to be the sport's own good. Obviously I will often be wrong, but my comments are genuine and honest, unlike much of the drivel posted on the BSF, and I am not afraid of putting my own name to what I say, instead of hiding behind a pseudonym like a coward. 

This OneSport Best Pairs Cup sereis is dying a slow death already. As soon as EUROSPORT stops the TV coverage of this event, it will be dead.

For the Thursday high noon meeting at Landshut (public Holiday here in Bavaria) there is not one current SGP rider in any of the team line-ups. And the Landshut local company TransMF's reserve Valentin Grobauer is the lone German rider on show.

25 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

This OneSport Best Pairs Cup sereis is dying a slow death already. As soon as EUROSPORT stops the TV coverage of this event, it will be dead.

For the Thursday high noon meeting at Landshut (public Holiday here in Bavaria) there is not one current SGP rider in any of the team line-ups. And the Landshut local company TransMF's reserve Valentin Grobauer is the lone German rider on show.

That’s because the date clashes with the 1st round of the World long track championships also in Germany at Herxheim.

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Mark, I do want to watch the meetings. They are speedway and I love the sport. But I can also have my reservations whether the meeting should be staged. Yes money comes into the sport - and goes straight to the wealthiest sector of it, Poland. Few benefit overall except those already coining it in.

I've worked in speedway and followed it as a supporter for long enough (getting on for half a century now) to hopefully have earned a voice, now whether you don't like what I say, if you can understand it, if I feel that a point needs to be raised for the good of the sport I will. I leave it to others to have their petty wind-ups and vendettas. If I have to switch off the TV just because I feel that something is wrong, can I suggest you switch off the forum if you equally see something you don't like? 

Everything I have said or done in the sport has been for what I believe to be the sport's own good. Obviously I will often be wrong, but my comments are genuine and honest, unlike much of the drivel posted on the BSF, and I am not afraid of putting my own name to what I say, instead of hiding behind a pseudonym like a coward. 

I cannot see why you're being so personal in replying to my original post. So that isn't nice, and the tone is also pretty rude, which is not welcome.     We have two differing opinions so you'll have to accept it and deal with it.    As you correctly say 'you'll often be wrong' despite gathering copius amounts of knowledge in your 50 years in speedway.    I'll continue watching these meetings and enjoy them.  

Hope you can understand all the above.  Have a nice day in the sun Rob.