British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blackadder

Change to qualification for a UK visa

In last week's SS, Dick Barrie said that only the top 3 in Australian State Titles will qualify for a UK visa, not the top 4 as before. I haven't seen this change announced in the UK yet. Are any other countries affected?

1 hour ago, Blackadder said:

In last week's SS, Dick Barrie said that only the top 3 in Australian State Titles will qualify for a UK visa, not the top 4 as before. I haven't seen this change announced in the UK yet. Are any other countries affected?

I’m amazed how the State Titles still have any relevance at all for visa criteria. 

We are far too soft on foreigners, How can winning an obscure State title by beating a few wobblers, entitle you to a work visa, unbelievable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

We are far too soft on foreigners, How can winning an obscure State title by beating a few wobblers, entitle you to a work visa, unbelievable.

To be fair, State titles are the only form basis to judge the ability of any Aussie. Usually new comers ride again established UK based Aussies so it is easy to se how they could fare in the UK. to call them all wobblers shows your lack of credibility. There are only a small percentage that actually fail in this country, but most are a welcome addition to our leagues.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

To be fair, State titles are the only form basis to judge the ability of any Aussie. Usually new comers ride again established UK based Aussies so it is easy to se how they could fare in the UK. to call them all wobblers shows your lack of credibility. There are only a small percentage that actually fail in this country, but most are a welcome addition to our leagues.

Absolutely - good new Aussies (and others) have a place in our leagues.

Whilst I think the set up could do more to support young Brits simply excluding those from outside is not the way to achieve that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Surely, it should only be the top one from Aussie State championships.

No!

Part of the attraction of the CL is the  arrival of young Aussies with potential to  progress to greater things.

Would the likes of Doyle, Fricke, Tungate, Masters, etc. have ever graced the CL if there was such a restriction in place when they arrived as promising raw youngsters?

As usual with some "Brits First" posters on here, they claim that our Antipodean friends are taking the bread out of the mouths of mediocre locals.

Fact is that in 2017 this "deluge" of young Aussie invaders totaled  one, yes one!, namely Josh Pickering whose performances home & away were appreciated by Monarchs fans.

As the visa  entrance criteria has already been reduced from top 4 to 3 in State Titles, which as things stand , will prevent new Oz U-21 Champ, Jaimon Lidsey from appearing here in 2018, I would prefer that the previous quota was reinstated, which I believe, would allow Lidsey to be considered.

• Like 4