British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavan

2018 Premiership Predictions

27 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Really makes me think a points limit is nonsense. Teams should build to whatever they wish, as long as they have three British riders in the team. Reserves must be British u21.

Teams with 42.5 are still not equal so allow teams to build to whatever they wish.

Would'nt it end up that the team or teams with the biggest budget almost always at the top, and the teams that are on the bread line so to speak,  in the bottom half of an already tiny league.Getting mullered away and struggling to win at home.Maybe the top few richest teams(I know none are rich as such) crowds will go up,but I thing the poorer teams will loose more fans and maybe shut or drop down.Will end in one league and surely if it did and that league had no average limit,that to would loose some of the poorer clubs in time  in that league as well .

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

You have to be honest and say what you see though, whoever you support. On paper we look one of if not the weakest side, but that could all change once the action starts. I don't feel miserable about it, if anything it takes the pressure off the team and will make good results during the season sweeter.

How we feel as Lynn fans through the season will be determined by on track results and not pre season predictions. 

Bit like years ago then Baggy.This in a time when i use to go home and away most of the time.And as you say getting any results then felt like winning the lottery to me.Maybe this year will be the same.

POOLE

Brady Kurtz is coming on great and looks to be the next big Australian star of the future and should hold his own in this league. Holder on a modest average is a must but the strength is Kacper Woryna who will be a heat leader and Mateusz Szczepaniek at reserve will be a trump card and Shanes will improve. 

RYE HOUSE

Might not be the most obvious of choices but they will dominate at home and a team of battles away and will always have a strong reserve. Big heats maybe a concern but if KK is back he could be the number one. 

SWINDON

Formidable top four and Ellis is improving all the time and riding abroad is paying off.  Reserves a bit weak but they have top end strength to cover. 

WOLVES 

Might be missing Lindgren but don' under estimate Thorssell and Masters could be their number one by mid season. Schlein is a wise choice who is finally settled and a good captain to help Heaps and the reserves perform. 

Reserves are a concern but should be capable at home and Howarth doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 

BELLE VUE

Cook is really under the hammer this year and will the pressure of the GP and Poland be too much for him. Fricke should challenge for the number one jacket and they should be solid at home.

Starting with Bewley at reserve will help and if Drozdz can settle in they have a rider that could surprise a few. Think they will make a change but at moment will have them close to play offs. 

LEICESTER 

Great top two in Vaculik and Andersen ad a solid back up to them but away they could be inconsistent and just fall short but not by much. 

SOMERSET

DOYLE is going to clean up most nights and in  BWD and Jeppesen they have a great reserve pairing but can't see them being better than the teams already mentioned. 

KINGS LYNN

Lambert returns but does he have his heart in it after clearly wanting away and below that they have very little to even challenge Glasgow or Lakeside. 

Will it be Iversen at number one or should they go for the more reliable Lindgren or the entertainment of Pawlicki. Hamper and ZAGAR were also looking to ride here but whoever is the top man could be fighting a lone battle most weeks. 

Edited by T.N.T.

'They have very little to even challenge Glasgow or Lakeside'.

What does that even mean? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Really makes me think a points limit is nonsense. Teams should build to whatever they wish, as long as they have three British riders in the team. Reserves must be British u21.

Teams with 42.5 are still not equal so allow teams to build to whatever they wish.

Spot on...

Using this system delivers year on year, for the past heaven knows how long, the team at the top around 50 points better off than the team at the bottom yet they both started "equal"...

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

An interesting stance and one that has some merit.

The condition of the sport as a whole I dont think could be damaged any further by at least giving it a go.

Of course if it was purely down to funds Poole may not find that they have it loaded as much in their favour as many may think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

An interesting stance and one that has some merit.

The condition of the sport as a whole I dont think could be damaged any further by at least giving it a go.

Of course if it was purely down to funds Poole may not find that they have it loaded as much in their favour as many may think.

Sure at first there would be a disparity, the same as the football premiership. But bottom teams get their biggest attendances when the ManU’s, Chelseas and Arsenals come to town. They hope their team will do the unthinkable and turn over the bigger club and send them off with their tails between their legs.

Teams would self govern by putting out a team they could afford. Promotions won’t make themselves bankrupt. They know what they can afford. 

It might work. It might not. No harm in trying.

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sure at first there would be a disparity, the same as the football premiership. But bottom teams get their biggest attendances when the ManU’s, Chelseas and Arsenals come to town. They hope their team will do the unthinkable and turn over the bigger club and send them off with their tails between their legs.

Teams would self govern by putting out a team they could afford. Promotions won’t make themselves bankrupt. They know what they can afford. 

It might work. It might not. No harm in trying.

Currently there is one big drawback - there is nothing really worthwhile that comes with winning.

No prize money , no significant publicity and limited extra sponsorship opportunities.

But perhaps it may take a different outlook such as this one to bring those extra financials....

On 20/01/2018 at 5:17 PM, hyderd said:

Wow, you obviously have not seen D Bewley, possibly british speedways most promising young rider,he beat F Lyngren round the NSS and that's no mean feat) then there is Max Fricke, easily capable of being an 8 point rider this season. Cookie already is an 8.45 rider, if he can hold his own at the GP's then he should also hold his own here with other No 1's, so whilst on paper we may not be a Poole, we can certainly hold our own with the other teams. (assuming we have the team we all assume it will be)

I have,  scored 6 and 1 (while guesting) at the OTA although but was fantastic while guesting up at Glasgow for us. He is only young and still has a lot to learn. I don't see him getting above a 5.00 this season imo. Same as I honestly don't see Fricke being an 8.00 rider. 

Edited by rebelwonderkid

Fricke has yet to show his foreign form in the UK but is more than capable of challenging Cook for the number one jacket. (Assuming he is an Ace of course).

As for Bewley, what a talent. Can see him adding 1-2 points on his average. 

• Like 4

Expecting big things from Max this year , should be challenging Cook for number 1

also seeing as Dan Bewley averaged 4 plus last year , I would have thought a 5pt average was well within his reach ?

1 minute ago, WestGorton1884 said:

Expecting big things from Max this year , should be challenging Cook for number 1

also seeing as Dan Bewley averaged 4 plus last year , I would have thought a 5pt average was well within his reach ?

I think that Max is now no longer a starting extraliga rider shows what people are thinking about him. Needs to deliver his potential. 

1 hour ago, poolebolton said:

I think that Max is now no longer a starting extraliga rider shows what people are thinking about him. Needs to deliver his potential. 

What exactly are people thinking about him ? , he's still only 21 years old , so why this big  need to 'deliver his potential'?

Edited by WestGorton1884

2 hours ago, poolebolton said:

You do realise that he was 30th in the Polish averages. Above riders like Milik, Thorsell, Kildemand and Sundstrom, who was 46th.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

You do realise that he was 30th in the Polish averages. Above riders like Milik, Thorsell, Kildemand and Sundstrom, who was 46th.

Yeah, Max is obviously rubbish. Sundstrom on the other hand won three of his thirty-two Extraliga rides and is clearly the Messiah!  Ah, Poole fans. :) 

• Like 2