British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavan

2018 Premiership Predictions

19 hours ago, g13webb said:

I am confident  Proctor can  step up to the mark and be a decent acquisition.   Been unlucky with injuries in the past,  so getting a good run of meetings could be invaluable.   Watching him perform for Sheffield  against Leicester showed he has much too offer.    I think he is more than capable of putting pressure on those team members around him in the rankings...  

TJ, Rose , Kerr and Andersen  are all of similar positions and each's performances  will have a bearing of where the Stars finish..........

I think King's Lynn will be fine. One of the best top pairs in the league with PUK and Lambert and maybe even the best reserve partnership if Andersen goes well. Jorgensen at home is ample backup to the top two and Proctor/ Rose should be fine second strings at home. Away is the problem though. 

so hard to predict how they will finish, every team looks about equal to me with no clear favourite, you could make a case for each team and everyone is going to need that trump card to step upto the plate,as stated above there is one guy in every team sometimes two, that if they make a breakthrough,then it could propel their team to glory come the end of the season, so sitting on the fence with this one. 

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, romans lovechild said:

so hard to predict how they will finish, every team looks about equal to me with no clear favourite, you could make a case for each team and everyone is going to need that trump card to step upto the plate,as stated above there is one guy in every team sometimes two, that if they make a breakthrough,then it could propel their team to glory come the end of the season, so sitting on the fence with this one. 

I agree with you to a point that most teams are fairly equal,  but please don't include Poole in that statement as they are on a different level.   Woryna is so talented only a blind man would fail to see his quality.  Without doubt a top rider destined for heat leader status.   Within months of the start, Poole could have Holder and Sundstrom as 2nd strings. Just imagine the strength of that side.    Because of the BSPA's dereliction of proper averages ,   this Poole team strength is probably 6/7 points stronger than any of the rest.  

This could have been an increditable season,  where all teams fancied their chances.  But because of the numpties at the BSPA burying theirs heads,  this can only  be a one horse race......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I agree with you to a point that most teams are fairly equal,  but please don't include Poole in that statement as they are on a different level.   Woryna is so talented only a blind man would fail to see his quality.  Without doubt a top rider destined for heat leader status.   Within months of the start, Poole could have Holder and Sundstrom as 2nd strings. Just imagine the strength of that side.    Because of the BSPA's dereliction of proper averages ,   this Poole team strength is probably 6/7 points stronger than any of the rest.  

This could have been an increditable season,  where all teams fancied their chances.  But because of the numpties at the BSPA burying theirs heads,  this can only  be a one horse race......

Which will make it even sweeter to beat them.

• Like 1

I think that Rye House have a real chance this season. They got a excellent team of riders that are more than capable of scoring well away from home. And they do have a home track that provides them with a clear advantage against their opposition, if their riders are on top form.

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2018 at 6:35 PM, Matt Ford Fan said:

1. Poole - Awesome team from top to bottom and if we don't win then serious questions need to be asked. 2 ringers on false averages in Woryna and Szczepaniak. C. Holder should put a point on his average. Kurtz will improve his average. Grajczonek and Sundstrom will at least hold there averages. Shanes will only improve after getting a team spot at Sheffield. 

2. Leicester - Love the look of this line-up. Vaculik as the No.1. Backed up by 2 experienced HL's in Andersen and King. Pieszczek is the trump card for me. Strong reserve all season too.

3. Belle Vue - Few question marks for me but will be good for top 4. Tungate and Bewley will improve there averages. Drozdz is the key.

4. Rye House - Yes its an old aged team but I cant see Rye losing much at home all season long tbh (2 meetings tops). The new Lakeside of the top flight and I expect them to get 4th spot due to the home form.

5. Wolverhampton - Ranking Wolves just above Swindon because the reserves are better than Swindon's apart from that both teams are poor tbh. Thorssell at No.1 is a mistake. Greaves will struggle due to lack of meetings. 

6. Swindon - Poor poor side. Morris and Bellego will not hold there averages. Davey is no good. Batchelor is unreliable. Too much pressure on Wajtknecht who should be the No.7 and not No.6. Ellis and Musielak could improve there averages but that's about it tbh.

7. Somerset - 1 man team tbh apart from Doyle you cant see where the Heat wins are going to come from away from home. 

8. King's Lynn - Rubbish tbh. NKI great signing but apart from that Lynn have Lambert who doesn't want to be there and then a bunch of 5.00 pointers with no 3rd Heat Leader.

Hmmmmmmmm. :)

Don’t despair, Pirates fans, Pathe News are remastering Poole’s last title win in colour!

On 26/02/2018 at 5:04 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

No we are far stronger in 2018 compared to the last couple of years. Looking forward to coming up to Belle Vue and smashing you!

Watch out everyone, Poole are smashing in 35 points wherever they ride! :)

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 3:45 PM, MrMungo said:

Poole

Ford has put together bit of a surprising side, but a very, very strong side nonetheless. The 2 new Poles may not replicate their contentional form, but have no doubt they will still make a mockery over their dubious starting averages. A well-balanced side with no major weak links. Will probably become stronger as the season goes on; think Holder being @ 1 would give the side a more natural look. As things stand, can only see injuries standing in the way, unless another side has a major improver in their ranks.

Prediction: Top by about 18 points!

Blimey, Mr Mungo, spot on, Poole are well on their way to 18 points ............ err, hang on, have I read that right? :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

Blimey, Mr Mungo, spot on, Poole are well on their way to 18 points ............ err, hang on, have I read that right? :)

"It's a marathon, not a sprint". Copyright of Starman. ;)

Poole are not there yet, but I think everyone knows they will get going eventually. They just have to hope it's not too late when they do get going! 

On 1/20/2018 at 9:26 AM, Gavan said:

So with most of the teams almost complete what are peoples ideas for how the table will look.

1. BELLE VUE (not complete but we pretty much know the 1-7)

2. LEICESTER (if Vaculik and the pole hit the ground running then they could even top the table)

3. POOLE (look strong but doubts over Holder and the 2 poles , if they all perform again could challenge for top)

4. SWINDON ( even after losing Doyle have managed to build a strong side again and could get in the play offs0

5. WOLVES (will always be there or thereabouts and home form will keep them close and could easily make top 4)

6. SOMERSET (if Doyle performs as he usually does they will be hard to beat at home but cant see them getting to much away)

7. RYE HOUSE ( a lot depends on who the last rider is but look a team without a big hitter0

8. KINGS LYNN (bit harsh but look like lacking a big hitter and again will struggle i feel)

On 1/20/2018 at 9:34 AM, Gavan said:

Not sure how Iversen will do over here if his heart isnt in it.

Poole imploded last season but if they all perform will be hard to beat,.......but they have risks attached 

On 2/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, Gavan said:

Woryna i would expect to do a full season but the other one could be gone i would imagine.

Poole never go a full season without changes hence why they often successful.

Its to blinkered to expect the current 1-7 to be the end 1-7. 

This time last year Poole were huge favourites and nobody could have predicted that the best number one in the league (KK), Mr Loyalty (Newman) and a high scoring reserve (Klindt) would be binned off in favour of Kennett , Starke and Lahti.....if you had suggested that on here you would have been laughed at........so its naive to think that no changes can or will be made

On 2/7/2018 at 1:03 PM, Gavan said:

Poole have stuck to the rules regarding the Poles but its the rules that are wrong not Poole signing them.

Poole look to have the strongest 1-7 but also they are the side with the most question marks against them.

Will Kurtz take the next step like Nick Morris did.

Will Holder increase his average

Will Sundstrom hit form after being away for so long

Will the Poles settle and do ok?

On 2/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, Gavan said:

Poole are over whelming favourites just like last season when it all went totally wrong.

Last season we was told:

KK is a far better option then Holder

Kurtz and Holder jnr were the new turbo twins

Hans would be a solid heat leader

Kyle Newman is Mr Poole and will not let anyone down and up his scoring

Nicolai Klindt is a number one at reserve and will score bucket loads

James Shanes is one of the best young Brits

Out of all of that only Kurtz, Hans and Shanes came out with any credit.

So all this talk of what Poole will do this season can go so wrong again.

Kurtz will be fine

Holder and Sundstrom have doubts about them no question , and is Linus a better option then Hans?

The 2 poles could be anything but thats exactly it...anything. Continental form doesnt always translate.

Its all well and good being happy with your team and i can understand the excitement from Poole fans.....but some of the comments on here about how easy it will be and how much better they are than everyone else is just daft............pride comes before a fall

I got told i was anti Poole for all of the comments i posted on this thread.

Nope just what i believed would happen

Quite proud of my predictions

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 5:23 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Ok now most riders are in place I thought I would give my opinion of the teams and season ending positions. 

8th. KING'S LYNN

1. Niels Iversen 9.04

2. Robert Lambert  7.38

3. Ty Proctor 5.5

4. Lewis Kerr 5.06

5. Thomas Jorgensen 5.93

6. Lewis Rose 5.25

7. Kasper Andersen 4.0

A lack of serious thought going on here. A management going through the motions and who haven’t got their finger on the pulse of what is going on in the big wide world of speedway. A serious lack of strength in depth with no third heat leader and a couple of journeymen means that Kings Lynn will be propping up the table in 2018. The signing of Proctor is frankly mystifying. And with Robert Lambert mouthing off in the Star about how he doesn’t want to be there, it doesn’t bode well for the stars. Decent reserves though.

7th. SOMERSET

1. Jason Doyle 9.69

2. Jack Holder 5.82

3. Richard Lawson 6.43

4. Charles Wright 6.69

5. Bradley Wilson Dean 4.67

6. Jake Allen 5.07

7. Jonas Jeppersen 4.00

The Rebels look to improve their first season in the top flight but I don’t think it will happen for them in 2018. Doyle is a great signing, but after that backup is a bit low on the ground and away from the Oaktree they could take some poundings. Doyle apart, the Rebels have solid looking reserves but the middle of the team looks very lacking. Lawson and Wright don’t really have any improvement in them, and it leaves Jack Holder to kick on from a poor 2017 season and show his potential.

6th. RYE HOUSE

1. KK?

2. Ben Barker 6.00

3. Eddie Kennett 6.39

4. Scott Nicholls 7.48

5. Chris Harris. 7.63

6. Stuart Robson 5.72

7. Max Clegg 2.00

I listened to the podcast from Steve Jensen, which was full of enthusiasm. Then he goes out and puts together a team like this. Who do you think you are kidding Mr Jensen? Dads Army or what? The team is full of Brits which is great. But they are all passed their prime. Sure, they will turn over teams at home and lose a couple but away they will struggle to get much and like others have said, will end up in the Lakeside trap. A step backwards from 2017.

5th. WOLVERHAMPTON

1. Jacob Thorssell 8.64

2. Sam Masters 7.92

3. Rory Schlein 7.72

4. Kyle Howarth 6.64

5. Cameron Heeps 5.25

6. Ashley Morris 3.75

7. Nathan Greaves 2.54

The loss of Lindgren is big. And he hasn’t really been replaced. Thorsell steps up to fill Freddie’s boots but Lindgren he is not, especially away from Monmore. At home Thorsell is dialled in and will do his job. Masters and Schlein are good riders but can go awol at times. Howarth still has improvement. But Heeps, Morris and Greaves leave a big wagging tail and they will get turned over at home a couple of times. Away from Monmore they might pickup points at a couple of places. Will miss out on the playoffs this time around IMO.

4th. SWINDON

1. Nick Morris 8.87

2. Troy Batchelor 7.63

3. David Bellego 7.37

4. Tobiasz Musielak 7.37

5. Adam Ellis 5.56

6. Zach Wajtknecht 3.21

7. Mitchel Davey 2.00

Swindon won the league last year due to bringing  in Musielak. They had a tremendous run mid season before running out of steam but it was enough to finish top. They had riders who all improved and upped their averages and although they got very lucky in the final, they did finish top of the league. It has to be asked though. In 2018 where is the big improvement going to come from? Morris is now riding at number one with no Doyle for support. Musielak, Bellego and Batchelor are all topped out.  I can only really see Adam Ellis upping his average, perhaps by a point or more. At reserve they are extremely weak and this could really hit them. Playoffs? Yes I think they will get into the playoffs but I don’t see them retaining the title.

3rd. BELLE VUE

1. Craig Cook 8.45

2. Steve Worrall 6.77

3. Rohan Tungate 6.18

4. Damian Drodz 5.00

5. Max Fricke.

6. Dan Bewley 4.71

7. Jye Etheridge 3.89

Belle Vue keep 5 of last years 7 and look very good. Led by Cook who steps up to number one they should go though the card at home and pick up quite a few points on their travels. Tungate will score highly at home so the loss of Bjerre won’t be felt. Drodz will soon settle in at home but may find it tough on the road. Fricke really needs to show his full potential if BV are in with a shout of the title. In Bewley they have a great young rider who will more than likely move up into the team at the first set of GS, with Drodz going the other way. 

2nd. LEICESTER

1. Martin Vaculik 8.00

2. Krystian Pieszczek 6.5

3. Danny King 6.66

4. Josh Bates 5.52

5. Hans Andersen  7.75

6. Kyle Newman 4.86

7. James Sarjeant  2.56

Since Leicester have returned to the top flight they have been something of a Mickey Mouse outfit, with chucked together teams worthy of a wooden spoon. However, in 2018 under new management, the team looks very good. In fact good enough to challenge for the title. Martin Vaculik is a proven top rider on the continent and Pieszczek is an impressive and very fast young Pole. Backed up with Danny King and Hans Andersen it is an impressive top four. Leicester will also have a scoring reserve at all times with Kyle Newman and Josh Bates swapping and reswapping all season. A very good looking team.

1st. POOLE

1. Brady Kurtz 8.08

2. Josh Grajczonek 7.34

3. Kacper Woryna 4.65

4. Linus Sundstrom 7.22 

5. Chris Holder 7.16

6. Mateusz Szczepaniak 4.54

7. James Shanes 2.38

After the disappointment of 2017 Matt Ford has spent a lot of time and effort assembling what looks to be one of the best looking Poole teams in several years. A team built with the word improvement written across all seven riders. Led by one of the lowest averaged number one in the league in Kurtz, who should stick a point on his starting average. The return of Chris Holder on 7.16 is an absolute steal. But the whole team from one to seven have improvement in them, perhaps with the exception of Josh G who is capable of maintaining. Poole will also have strength at reserve all season with Szczepaniak at 6, to be replaced by any of the top 5 should he do well. Young James Shanes has the ability to improve as well with such good riders around him.

So that is my opinion. Not many will agree with it. Of course this is not taking into account any injuries which might come along to decimate a teams chances.

Just having a look through this old thread and this gem of a prediction comes up

Kings Lynn and Somerset bottom 2!!! Also Kings Lynn have decent reserves...........the only 2 riders they replaced lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, Gavan said:

Woryna i would expect to do a full season but the other one could be gone i would imagine.

Poole never go a full season without changes hence why they often successful.

Its to blinkered to expect the current 1-7 to be the end 1-7. 

This time last year Poole were huge favourites and nobody could have predicted that the best number one in the league (KK), Mr Loyalty (Newman) and a high scoring reserve (Klindt) would be binned off in favour of Kennett , Starke and Lahti.....if you had suggested that on here you would have been laughed at........so its naive to think that no changes can or will be made

I didnt do to bad with that prediction

On 2/7/2018 at 1:03 PM, Gavan said:

Poole have stuck to the rules regarding the Poles but its the rules that are wrong not Poole signing them.

Poole look to have the strongest 1-7 but also they are the side with the most question marks against them.

Will Kurtz take the next step like Nick Morris did.

Will Holder increase his average

Will Sundstrom hit form after being away for so long

Will the Poles settle and do ok?

Another one ..... i amaze myself at times

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

Another one ..... i amaze myself at times

Pity you didnt predict the mrs cheating on you with another man , maybe wouldnt of ended up skint then !

Just now, Pinny said:

Pity you didnt predict the mrs cheating on you with another man , maybe wouldnt of ended up skint then !

Damn yes i missed her running off with another guy and me now potless in a flat all alone.............wish i had your foresight and knowledge