British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HertsRacer

Speedway Noise

39 minutes ago, adonis said:

Have you never heard of the problems Mildenhall have had ?,  with  1 couple who didn't even live in the house , they were speculators from London , and several high court judges one who would overturn the decision of another and another who would overturn the decision of both ,  you could write a book , it would make interesting reading , and might well alter your perception of the british justice system , 

Unfortunately no, this somehow passed me by, but thanks Adonis, I'll go off and do some googling. It all sounds mad. I don't know that part of the country very well, but I did call in and see a meeting there last summer, thanks to being in East Anglia for a while. As I drove out for what felt like miles along small roads in the middle of nowhere, I remember thinking it was an ideal location for a stadium and couldn't possibly have any noise complaints. How wrong I was! Whereas at Swindon, for instance, from the track you can now almost look into people's living rooms...

With Mildenhall, the complaints were about the stock car racing, where the noise went on until the small hours, not the speedway.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Wonder how effective the acoustic barrier at Belle Vue is?

probably the same as these barriers elsewhere, a bit of a waste of time and effort, but the planners pass the scheme if they are in place.

56 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Wonder how effective the acoustic barrier at Belle Vue is?

Totally pointless as you have the stocks 200yrds away louder and longer 

Using Romford as an example is a little misleading. The housing had been there for a long while (co-existing with the then football club). It was the additional noise from motorcycle engines that caused the Bombers to fold at Brooklands.

That said, it seems just common sense that complaints re 'normal' levels of noise associated to an existing function, should not be entertained.

2 hours ago, TonyE said:

Using Romford as an example is a little misleading. The housing had been there for a long while (co-existing with the then football club). It was the additional noise from motorcycle engines that caused the Bombers to fold at Brooklands.

That said, it seems just common sense that complaints re 'normal' levels of noise associated to an existing function, should not be entertained.

The houses were very close to the stadium at Romford, but no different to Exeter or West Ham. The noise from the bikes were a lot louder in those days.

The key issue in Romford's case was that the houses (and occupants) pre-dated the start of the speedway and the later was deemed to constitute a 'nuisance' - hence the decision.

As they say, if you buy a house at the end of the runway, you shouldn't complain about planes flying overhead!

Just now, TonyE said:

As they say, if you buy a house at the end of the runway, you shouldn't complain about planes flying overhead!

Unfortunately, no one says that and the Mildenhall cases proved that "we were here first" is not a valid defence.

If you read about the Mildenhall case, there was an issue with noise coming from the stadium at 2 or 3 in the morning from banger racing people, which was the issue. I think anyone who could hear that at night would get a little miffed in the end if nobody was prepared to keep it down during the night and be reasonable.

I have a friend who used to live in Church Rd (I think), about 20 yards from Exeter Speedway. I've been at his house when the racing was on and couldn't hear a thing. It was actually having hoards of people walking past his window that caused him more bother than the racing itself.

I could never understand why speedway always suffers with the noise situation but nothing ever appears to be said about F1 stocks and their big V8,s roaring around the same tracks creating far more noise?

3 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

I could never understand why speedway always suffers with the noise situation but nothing ever appears to be said about F1 stocks and their big V8,s roaring around the same tracks creating far more noise?

Elvington Air Field, near York, has that issue and causes a nuisance to local residents.

35 minutes ago, adonis said:

it appears the  almost midnight  still racing has expanded to 2 or 3 am ,, Ill raise you a couple of hours and say they were still racing at 5 am , OH and the complaints about the MX track were because of the early starts at (opening gambit )  9 am  

Google is your friend, Adonis. It was noise from the stadium, not just racing.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/west-row-mildenhall-stadium-row-couple-claim-they-had-no-option-but-to-take-their-legal-battle-to-the-supreme-court-1-3376217

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, adonis said:

cannot see any mention of 2 or 3 am , all i can see is a six year legal battle by some people who bought a house  500 metres away from a speedway stadium  and then  seized the opportunity to manipulate the justice system over six years to profit 

Seek and ye shall find.

"The stadium is home to the Mildenhall Fen Tigers speedway team, but also hosts banger, stock car and greyhound racing. Ms Lawrence said activities could last until 1am, with clearing up until 3am"

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

Just now, adonis said:

Were you the judge that found in favour of them ? , you certainly make a great case on their behalf , If I was not so convinced they were money grabbing scum who care nothing for others enjoyment , I may well have been swayed by your protestations , 

Just stating what I'd read. It's not always a good thing to pick a side and blindly believe everything from that side, while refusing to believe what you see from the other side.

This is just an interview with them. I'm just saying what they said because you refused to believe it.

• Like 1