British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HertsRacer

Speedway Noise

I can't be bothered to look up the actual times but do remember when reading about the Mildenhall case thinking that the stock cars weren't helping the situation by continuing to make noise until the early hours, I was told at the time this was antagonising the  neighbour deliberately because they hated him.  If there is any truth in that then it is stupid beyond belief.

No doubt that the new home owners should have been sent packing by the courts in the first case (and hopefully they would be under this new law) but nearly all motor sport venues should also recognise they do cause some degree of nuisance to some their neighbours and act responsibly by keeping it to acceptable hours.

1 hour ago, adonis said:

I think speedway gets the bad press for the Stox , speedway would be 3 out of 4 weeks ,and Nimby's are not bright enough to distinguish a different noise , to them it's just noise that they are not making or involved with ,so has to be complained about 

I see very few occasions where it is the noise from the actual speedway racing that is being blamed for the problems!! It's just that the press call it "speedway stadium noise" because most of the press have actually heard of speedway as it gets far more publicity (TV) than stock cars but very few of the press would have a clue what the difference is between a Banger and a National Hot Rod so in their utter ignorance, generally just call all the noise from the stadiums, "speedway" noise.

Mildenhall were their own worst enemies back then when it was run by the likes of Michael Coventry (RDC Promotions) as they seemed to think that the longer a meeting dragged out for, the better it was for everyone involved! and very rarely would a meeting be finished and all the noise stopped much before midnight. I've been watching Stock Cars for 45 years and stopped going to Mildenhall solely because of the promoters there and the length of time the meetings took. However, since Deane Wood (Spedeworth) got involved, then the running of the meetings has greatly sped up and really there is virtually no noise after 11pm on a Saturday night anymore.

At Stoke, I think last year, or maybe the year before, there were people on Facebook on about the noise from Loomer Rd. 

It was mostly stated as noise from the " Speedway" even though the specific occasion that was being referred to was an F1 (I think) Stocks night.  

A few people pointed out that it wasn't actually Speedway that was the cause of the noise on that particular night and, to be fair, most people commenting did say that it didn't really bother them.

33 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

At Stoke, I think last year, or maybe the year before, there were people on Facebook on about the noise from Loomer Rd. 

It was mostly stated as noise from the " Speedway" even though the specific occasion that was being referred to was an F1 (I think) Stocks night.  

A few people pointed out that it wasn't actually Speedway that was the cause of the noise on that particular night and, to be fair, most people commenting did say that it didn't really bother them.

I think this is key. There is a difference between audible noise and noise nuisance and the law should tolerate the former.

On 21/01/2018 at 5:06 PM, HertsRacer said:

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but on the BBC website there is a report that the music industry is hailing a major victory after ministers vowed to change planning rules in England to protect venues from complaints about noise. In the future It will be down to developers to address noise issues if they opt to build homes near a long-established music venues. The report also warns that this  was not just confined to music, but also regarding complaints being made about the ringing of church bells as well as about noise emanating from speedway stadiums and even farms.

I really hope there is a change as it could help the Brummies with the housing that is being built over the road from the stadium, at where the Birmingham City University site is

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/commercial-property/university-campus-become-new-housing-12844322

Re the new stadium at Swindon, someone went around the local houses and carried out a survey re any noise, the most objections were about the tannoy music and announcements from the dog racing rather than the bikes. 

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, adonis said:

Have you never heard of the problems Mildenhall have had ?,  with  1 couple who didn't even live in the house , they were speculators from London , and several high court judges one who would overturn the decision of another and another who would overturn the decision of both ,  you could write a book , it would make interesting reading , and might well alter your perception of the british justice system , 

Also at Mildenhall Speedway which was next to the American Air base and nobody complained about the jets that were landing and taking off 24 hours a day/They were probably 100 times louder that a Speeday bike

• Like 1

Our biggest and most persistent enemy at Birmingham was the University sited on the opposite side of Aldridge  road. Even though the University closed at 6pm and was in total darkness by 6.30pm (an hour before the speedway started!) they still objected on the grounds that they "might" one day keep open later! The University refused to attend the noise tests conducted by both Tony Mole and the City Council, and when they did their own tests, they sited the microphone on the stadium side of Aldridge Road as close as they could get to the stadium entrance.

They had no case at all, but the threat was always more about the influence the University has with members of the Council, plus the fact that the then Chairman of the Planning Committee was a former Chanceller of this University (although in all fairness, he never tried to hide this fact, and did not allow this to affect his sense of fairness.)

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, bellevueace said:

I could never understand why speedway always suffers with the noise situation but nothing ever appears to be said about F1 stocks and their big V8,s roaring around the same tracks creating far more noise?

At what tracks where they run both sports have they had complaints about speedway and not stock cars?

The cases i know of where the two sports run the noise complaint has included both.