British Speedway Forum
RedcarRacer

Redcar handed fours

7 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Have Redcar ever had a team capable of winning the league?

Sheffield always seem to have home track advantage when they have a good team, it disappears when we don't

I really don't understand this fact

Probably last season. The Bears were in the hunt until the end when injures (having one or no Redcar riders in the line-up) took there toll. That and throwing away a couple of home meetings mid season.

Having a track that most riders like and are prepared to have a go makes it harder for the home team. Some riders have tracks they hate and don't put the effort in. I think Peterborough last season was a good example. Both sides were evenly matched but all seven Panthers put the effort in and beat the Bears twice and took a draw in the cup and league  one including Lunna as a guest who always does well at Redcar. Yet the Bears still finished higher in the league.

14 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I am surprised but I am also naïve.

If an event is a huge success on and off track you'd think you would do everything not to change it.

No disrespect to Redcar, but in almost every aspect it is inferior to Peterborough for holding an event of this nature.

Do you mean  on the track or facilities?

Congratulation to Kevin & Co. for getting this Event to the North East. I think it will be a tremendous day out. I hope the weather is kind.

Well done Redcar and the very best of luck - you deserve it.

Hopefully I'll be there.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 3:02 PM, oldywonkenoldi said:

When the Bears returned to Speedway at this venue on its opening day, there was close to 5000 fans inside, the arena has better facilities now so cant see any problems.

True. But the car park is now less than half the size it was originally.

3 minutes ago, leander said:

True. But the car park is now less than half the size it was originally.

theres an ind est over the road which will be empty on Sunday, plenty of room

1 hour ago, cheekycobra said:

Do you mean  on the track or facilities?

Literally everything.

I am struggling to think of one single aspect of STMP that makes it a better stadium to hold a national event than EOES. This isn't a criticism of Redcar because it is a most unfair comparison - there are few that can match Peterborough.

Speaking personally, what counts is the quality of the racing. I stand to be corrected, but what I have seen at Redcar over the last few seasons leads me to believe that it is likely that this years Fours won't hold a candle to the superb speedway seen in 2016 & 2017. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

So happy that Redcar have got the meeting.. good on em...  Reckon the meeting should move around and not be stuck at one track. Shame there's no fours qualification tournament though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

So happy that Redcar have got the meeting.. good on em...  Reckon the meeting should move around and not be stuck at one track. Shame there's no fours qualification tournament though.

Inclined to agree with you.

But at the end of the day the shared events has to make money and if the Redcar promotion fail to do so then the event will more than likely move back to Peterborough.

Like after last season Glasgow took on the Riders Individual meeting it did not make enough money so they move it back to Sheffield. 

Can

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Literally everything.

I am struggling to think of one single aspect of STMP that makes it a better stadium to hold a national event than EOES. This isn't a criticism of Redcar because it is a most unfair comparison - there are few that can match Peterborough.

Speaking personally, what counts is the quality of the racing. I stand to be corrected, but what I have seen at Redcar over the last few seasons leads me to believe that it is likely that this years Fours won't hold a candle to the superb speedway seen in 2016 & 2017. 

Everything will be taken into consideration. Redcar CAN stage    this meeting and will do a good job. Nowt to doubt. Seen Peterborough on TV, great track and seen some great racing, not all the time though. Seen some great racing at Redcar too, so have you. How do you know it wont be great  at the fours. The fours is like the world cup, riders up their game, Same will happen at Redcar. 100% sure it will be a cracker.

9 minutes ago, spin king said:

Inclined to agree with you.

But at the end of the day the shared events has to make money and if the Redcar promotion fail to do so then the event will more than likely move back to Peterborough.

Like after last season Glasgow took on the Riders Individual meeting it did not make enough money so they move it back to Sheffield. 

yeah.. what you say I agree with.. being a shared event, the venue and location have to be of an acceptable standard and distance for opposing fans to travel and also to make it financially viable. That perhaps counts a lot of tracks out the running, my local track included. Geographically Redcar maybe a tad north ...but good for northern tracks, I'm sure they'll cope with crowd levels, hopefully i'll be there to see it. 

Sheffield always seem to have the riders final.. Fine by me, cos its well within travelling distance..  but I wouldn't grumble if it moved to Belle Vue or similar for a change.

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

theres an ind est over the road which will be empty on Sunday, plenty of room

Theres the whole of the cart track to park on like I had to at the very first meeting. motorcross carpark also. The whole motor sport facility is massive, parking will not be a problem.

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

yeah.. what you say I agree with.. being a shared event, the venue and location have to be of an acceptable standard and distance for opposing fans to travel and also to make it financially viable. That perhaps counts a lot of tracks out the running, my local track included. Geographically Redcar maybe a tad north ...but good for northern tracks, I'm sure they'll cope with crowd levels, hopefully i'll be there to see it. 

Sheffield always seem to have the riders final.. Fine by me, cos its well within travelling distance..  but I wouldn't grumble if it moved to Belle Vue or similar for a change.

11 teams in the league, 5 of them are further north than Redcar. That makes Redcar spitting dab in the middle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cheekycobra said:

11 teams in the league, 5 of them are further north than Redcar. That makes Redcar spitting dab in the middle.

and with decent transport links.. its a good shout imo.

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

28,000 reasons for doing that.

It is all so confusing. As far as I can understand the BSPA feel that the things Mr Godfrey denies saying and doing were all ok as they were in the best interests of Speedway

7 hours ago, cheekycobra said:

stillCan

Everything will be taken into consideration. Redcar CAN stage    this meeting and will do a good job. Nowt to doubt. Seen Peterborough on TV, great track and seen some great racing, not all the time though. Seen some great racing at Redcar too, so have you. How do you know it wont be great  at the fours. The fours is like the world cup, riders up their game, Same will happen at Redcar. 100% sure it will be a cracker.

Its not my view that Redcar can't stage the meeting or indeed make a reasonable success of it - I just don't think that the facilities at STMP match EOES in any way at all. To me, the last two seasons Fours have been a fantastic advert for speedway so I simply wouldn't have changed it and would have gone a long way to ensuring that this years event was staged at Peterborough. It seems rather pathetic to me - and indicative (apparently) of the way that certain members of the BSPA put their own private grievances above the wishes of the paying fan - that it is not.

I have seen some good racing at Redcar - indeed, it used to be one of my favourite tracks until Havelock got hold of it. Things improved in 2017 but the quality of the speedway there is still light years away from that at Peterborough.

My own view is that shared events should be allocated on the basis of all round success, nothing more. That is about both the financial rewards off track and feedback from fans about the meeting itself. Do a good job, get it back. Don't and lose it. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger