British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Once A Jolly Swagman

Talking Pictures TV will be showing this wonderful movie in February.

Keep an eye on their website or your EPGs.

They showed "Skid Kids", the cycle speedway film the other day, which was interesting, films are repeated so look out for that one too.

The channel can be found on Freeview Ch 81, You View Ch 81, Sky Ch 343 Virgin Ch 445,  Freesat Ch 306, so you should be able to tune in somehow

If I find out the date/time, I'll post it here.

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

Edited by OGT
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

The best channel there is...

Use it in the care home all the time, the oldies love it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great news and thanks for letting us know. Talking Pictures is a charming channel, run by a small business who love old film and TV so it's a labour of love which is thankfully gaining respect and viewers.

Readers may be interested to know that another classic film featuring speedway (at Lea Bridge/Clapton) is freely available to watch online at the BFI website.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-britannia-of-billingsgate-1933-online

• Like 1

First two transmission dates are:

19th Feb  18.00

25th Feb 14:00

• Like 1

Just been watching Dirk Bogarde in 'The Blue Lamp' which of course finishes off at White City...scene of my youth following 'The Rebels'. Great memories!

9 minutes ago, adonis said:

there was an episode of the Sweeney .filmed at white city as well , as you might guess the bad lads were speedway riders , 

If I remember Trevor Geer was the 'baddie' during the race sequence!

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

If I remember Trevor Geer was the 'baddie' during the race sequence!

The Sweeney episode that featured the speedway was called 'May'. The last time I saw this on TV,  the speedway scenes had been edited out. Apparently this is common practice to shorten the episodes to accommdate the longer add breaks. Luckily I have the original version on DVD.

Unfortunately I can't get channel 445 without an upgrade to my subscription so I'll have to give it a miss.

Talking Pictures is available free of charge on Freeview channel 81, although whether you can receive it depends on which transmitter your TV is tuned into. The main ones carry it so the majority of people do but the small local relays don't. Almost all TVs have Freeview built-in, although not all are connected to an aerial to allow it to be used. 

Many thanks OGT. I too was unaware of this channel. After cancelling Sky Movies, I tend not to look at the movie channels. Looks like there are some good films to watch.

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The Sweeney episode that featured the speedway was called 'May'. The last time I saw this on TV,  the speedway scenes had been edited out. Apparently this is common practice to shorten the episodes to accommdate the longer add breaks. Luckily I have the original version on DVD.

Here is that clip:

I was usually allowed to watch The Sweeney before going to bed, was on Monday nites at 9pm so school the next day.  My eyes popped out of my head at the title sequence of that episode, pretty sure the 2 riders were Trevor Geer (blue & white leathers) & Paul Gachet, both White City riders of course.  Think it was filmed on the day Ivan Mauger got his MBE at Buck House, he turned up at the track still in top hat and tails and got to meet one of his heroes John Shaw.....

• Like 1