British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Once A Jolly Swagman

45 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

I was usually allowed to watch The Sweeney before going to bed, was on Monday nites at 9pm so school the next day.  My eyes popped out of my head at the title sequence of that episode, pretty sure the 2 riders were Trevor Geer (blue & white leathers) & Paul Gachet, both White City riders of course.  Think it was filmed on the day Ivan Mauger got his MBE at Buck House, he turned up at the track still in top hat and tails and got to meet one of his heroes John Shaw.....

...and was presented to the crowd whilst taking a ride on Danny Dunton's Rolls Royce!

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

Here is that clip:

What a stadium, it still pulls at the heart strings!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

What a stadium, it still pulls at the heart strings!

...my class mates couldn't begin to imagine what it was like travelling up to White City London from Oxford every Wednesday (sometimes Tuesdays) when many had never even been to London. By 1978 (last year of 'The Rebels') I was driving up there myself after passing my driving test.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...my class mates couldn't begin to imagine what it was like travelling up to White City London from Oxford every Wednesday (sometimes Tuesdays) when many had never even been to London. By 1978 (last year of 'The Rebels') I was driving up there myself after passing my driving test.

I was catching the 220 bus, door to door from south west London.

• Like 1

Superb clip, that! Love the all-too-brief shots from the rider's POV. Nicely done.

Question (because I can't remember): when did riders stop wearing those type of face masks?

29 minutes ago, Harry The Goat said:

Superb clip, that! Love the all-too-brief shots from the rider's POV. Nicely done.

Question (because I can't remember): when did riders stop wearing those type of face masks?

I'm guessing the late seventies...shame because it was one way of identifying riders with distinctive masks but of course the full face helmets which became the vogue offered better protection. Always recall Anders Michanek's scarf which he used to pull up over his mouth and nose.

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'm guessing the late seventies...shame because it was one way of identifying riders with distinctive masks but of course the full face helmets which became the vogue offered better protection. Always recall Anders Michanek's scarf which he used to pull up over his mouth and nose.

Eddie Reeves was one of the first riders I can recall wearing a full face helmet.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I think they were called "monkey masks" i once bought one off taffy owen in 1976 for £4.95.wish i had kept it, strange u can look at pics from.then and know who the rider is buy the marks on the mask which covered some air holes these days with full face helmets they all look the same !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Eddie Reeves was one of the first riders I can recall wearing a full face helmet.

Remember Eddie wearing a red full face helmet during 1973 for 'The Rebels' before he was transferred to King's Lynn.

I guess that Briggo was one of the first although Terry Betts wore one before it really became the vogue. Saw a photo of Ivan Mauger wearing one with mirrors attached to the visor but it didn't really catch on.

When full face helmets became the rage I don't recall seeing either of the Grahame brothers wearing one resisting the temptation...or Ole Olsen come to that!

I can still remember a seeing a rider with a helmet that covered his ears, the announcer made a point of telling you how it gave better protection to the skull, must've been in the very early 60s I think.

On 26 January 2018 at 8:08 PM, Lioness said:

Use it in the care home all the time, the oldies love it

Take the Michael if you like but these old classics have things like, plot, character development, strong acting and direction and screenplays written by people with talent etc unlike much of todays fare where spaceships endlessly fly through space, things blow up, dialogue is mumbled, editing is so flashy you can't tell what's happening, cars crash and brain numbing special effects overwhelm proceedings to such an extent that little is left to the imagination and every idea you may have is completely driven from your head...

The Darkest Hour is good 'though...

• Like 1

Where exactly what White City Stadium? I've worked at BBC Television Centre (or whatever they're calling it these days) a few times in the last 12 months and I can't work out where the track/stadum would have been.

edit > Finally worked it out with the aid of this picture! http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2004/05_may/11/mv_history.pdf

Edited by SCB

I have probably missed something here as I have not been through the whole thread, but the film  in question was I thought filmed at New Cross.

11 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Talking Pictures is available free of charge on Freeview channel 81, although whether you can receive it depends on which transmitter your TV is tuned into. The main ones carry it so the majority of people do but the small local relays don't. Almost all TVs have Freeview built-in, although not all are connected to an aerial to allow it to be used. 

Thanks Rob.  I'll try that tomorrow as we have a Freeview TV upstairs.

keepturning left................ Take the Michael if you like but these old classics have things like, plot, character development, strong acting and direction and screenplays written by people with talent etc unlike much of todays fare where spaceships endlessly fly through space, things blow up, dialogue is mumbled, editing is so flashy you can't tell what's happening, cars crash and brain numbing special effects overwhelm proceedings to such an extent that little is left to the imagination and every idea you may have is completely driven from your head...

I'm sure you have misunderstood Lioness because she isn't into taking the mickey, just making an observation I think.

Edited by Gemini