British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Once A Jolly Swagman

Pretty sure that Sweeney episode was from 1976, the year it didn't rain for a good few weeks, or months even.  Seem to recall reading the likes of Ivan & Olsen stuck with open face helmets was due to their lighter weight than full-face lids, there was much less chance of a neck / wiplash injury in the event of a bad crash.  Big Alan Grahame also stuck with his open face lid til full-face helmets became compulsory in 2000 or so...

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Pretty sure that Sweeney episode was from 1976, the year it didn't rain for a good few weeks, or months even.  Seem to recall reading the likes of Ivan & Olsen stuck with open face helmets was due to their lighter weight than full-face lids, there was much less chance of a neck / wiplash injury in the event of a bad crash.  Big Alan Grahame also stuck with his open face lid til full-face helmets became compulsory in 2000 or so...

...definately 1976 as I recognise Paul Gachet's leathers as he was injured (broken ankle) early in 1977 and missed the rest of the season which is often conveniently forgotten when people question 'The Rebels' winning the championship that year.

Great memories!

Interesting that the alternative working title for the film 'Once a Jolly Swagman' was 'Maniacs on Wheels!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I have probably missed something here as I have not been through the whole thread, but the film  in question was I thought filmed at New Cross.

All topics divert a little, it's not the end of the world , is it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

Sorry not sure the point you are making.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Interesting that the alternative working title for the film 'Once a Jolly Swagman' was 'Maniacs on Wheels!'

I believe that's the title of the film in the USA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

...personally I like it when posts go off on a tangent. Often makes them more interesting!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Talking Pictures is available free of charge on Freeview channel 81, although whether you can receive it depends on which transmitter your TV is tuned into. The main ones carry it so the majority of people do but the small local relays don't. Almost all TVs have Freeview built-in, although not all are connected to an aerial to allow it to be used. 

It doesn't seem to be on my TV? This is in Birmingham.

13 minutes ago, *JJ said:

It doesn't seem to be on my TV? This is in Birmingham.

Try updating your Freeview channel list. It should be in the set up menu for your TV if Freeview is installed on your TV. May be listed as  Update DVB channel list.

1 hour ago, adonis said:

I would think the modern equivalent of these places would be the Millennium dome , which was a disaster since nobody thought what to do with it afterwards ,and the exhibitions didn't go on for long enough by the time people had got round to putting it on their bucket list it was closed 

This will no doubt be the O2 which is still going strong staging concerts, sporting events and exhibitions plus a plethora of restaurants, bars and lecture theatres. I get weekly invitations to events there; today being advised that tickets are now on sale for a World Championship boxing event in a couple of months. Been to God knows how many gigs there, used various restauarnts and had a workshop with Penn and Teller in one of the smaller theatres. I appreciate that you can no longer go up an escalator into a giant's ring piece, but your observation is at best ill informed. Having witnessed the numerous failures of privatisation in selliing off key public services, this is one case where the privtae sector has actually come good with a thriving leisure complex, with tens of thousands attending every day. 

Edited by Mr Ore
Spelling error

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...definately 1976 as I recognise Paul Gachet's leathers as he was injured (broken ankle) early in 1977 and missed the rest of the season which is often conveniently forgotten when people question 'The Rebels' winning the championship that year.

Great memories!

1st shown on 25th October 1976

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adonis said:

I had no idea white city was built as an exhibition ,  It's a part of history that appeals to me , the empire exhibition that led to Wembley being built , and the old entrepeneurs  who financed them , some people made fortunes during the exhibitions and others  from clearing the sites , anyone know what Battersea park was built for ?

Depends on what you mean.The park was there for a hundred years or so,but was turned into a major attraction for the Festival of Britain in 1951,with funfair etc.I went a couple of times before they closed the funfair down in the 70s.Also remember going to some Easter Parade,i think it was through the park with floats and people all dressed up

Used to get the 220 bus from Tooting to White City.First season I was a fairly regular visitor,but the place was a bit stale in terms of atmosphere(that clip from the Sweeny had only a little bit less atmosphere than a league meeting lol) and I went less regularly after that.Think the old frying pan,packed to the rafters in the good old days would have been something to witness 

Edited by iris123

For those who don't like to be dictated to by TV schedulers, (particularly in respect of a film made in the 1940s!) you can choose to watch it whenever you like on Terrarium TV.

14 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I have probably missed something here as I have not been through the whole thread, but the film  in question was I thought filmed at New Cross.

It was.  But someone mentioned The Sweeney episode, so I posted a link to the clip that is often edited out for TV these days.

Be thankful no one has mentioned either Crossroads or King Cinder......... :shock:

By the way.... here's a clip from Once a Jolly Swagman.

Edited by StevePark
to add link

11 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It was.  But someone mentioned The Sweeney episode, so I posted a link to the clip that is often edited out for TV these days.

Be thankful no one has mentioned either Crossroads or King Cinder......... :shock:

Or even Egon Müller in The men from K3,a speedway based murder mystery

http://www.tvspielfilm.de/kino/filmarchiv/film/die-maenner-vom-k3-augen-zu-und-durch,1309289,ApplicationMovie.html