British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Once A Jolly Swagman

2 minutes ago, adonis said:

It was the funfair I had in mind , one of the places I always wanted to visit but never did , I had heard many times about Hackney dogs,always wanted to see it in the flesh , didn't realise that was the same place as the speedway so on my 1 and only visit I ticked something off my bucket list that I didn't expect to , 

Yes,it was part of the South Bank festival area along with the Royal Festival Hall

36 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It was.  But someone mentioned The Sweeney episode, so I posted a link to the clip that is often edited out for TV these days.

Be thankful no one has mentioned either Crossroads or King Cinder......... :shock:

By the way.... here's a clip from Once a Jolly Swagman.

Thanks that was what I was trying to say. As it happens I have had a DVD of "Once Jolly Swagman " for some time.

25 minutes ago, adonis said:

Oh I do apologise for being ill informed , I was assuming this was the place that had lost huge amounts of money because it didn't attract enough visitors , then stood empty from 2000 to 2007 costing millions more to secure . before being  sold to O2 . 

Sold to 02? Still owned by the public purse I think, currently under the auspices of the Homes and Communities Agency and operated by Anschutz Entertainment Group.

Ill-informed? Surely not!!!

5 hours ago, Mr Snackette said:

For those who don't like to be dictated to by TV schedulers, (particularly in respect of a film made in the 1940s!) you can choose to watch it whenever you like on Terrarium TV.

Shame on them for daring to put it on their channel then, eh? I trust you have complained to them for their attempted oppression of the poor TV viewer.

22 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Take the Michael if you like but these old classics have things like, plot, character development, strong acting and direction and screenplays written by people with talent etc unlike much of todays fare where spaceships endlessly fly through space, things blow up, dialogue is mumbled, editing is so flashy you can't tell what's happening, cars crash and brain numbing special effects overwhelm proceedings to such an extent that little is left to the imagination and every idea you may have is completely driven from your head...

The Darkest Hour is good 'though...

I seriously was not taking the Michael, apologies if it came across that way.

The channel is a godsend, especially but not exclusively for dementia patients. It encourages talking and memories not just about the particular film but where they went to see it, who they were with, going for chips on the way home, the row for being back after 10, trying to copy the style of the actors etc etc. I've lost count of the number of times a confused or distressed resident has been calmed down and become happy with a cup of tea and a chat with them explaining why 'X' was a far better actor than 'y' but 'z' was a heart throb.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Shame on them for daring to put it on their channel then, eh? I trust you have complained to them for their attempted oppression of the poor TV viewer.

You really seem to have something an attitude!! I was pointing out for those who have a life and can't necessarily sit around waiting to watch something on an obscure minority channel, that they have the option of viewing anytime on Terrarium TV. Why shame on anyone, or any channel?  Personally, I find it a delight that there is more than one source to view this film. 

21 hours ago, Mr Snackette said:

You really seem to have something an attitude!! I was pointing out for those who have a life and can't necessarily sit around waiting to watch something on an obscure minority channel, that they have the option of viewing anytime on Terrarium TV. Why shame on anyone, or any channel?  Personally, I find it a delight that there is more than one source to view this film. 

Only when dealing with people like you. You were trying to seem clever by the scheduler remark. It didn't work. There are those who use the forums to discuss and celebrate speedway. Then there are those purely flexing their egos like you. Sadly my patience is long exhausted by the likes of you.

Damn,that's my irony meter overloaded!!!!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Lioness said:

I seriously was not taking the Michael, apologies if it came across that way.

The channel is a godsend, especially but not exclusively for dementia patients. It encourages talking and memories not just about the particular film but where they went to see it, who they were with, going for chips on the way home, the row for being back after 10, trying to copy the style of the actors etc etc. I've lost count of the number of times a confused or distressed resident has been calmed down and become happy with a cup of tea and a chat with them explaining why 'X' was a far better actor than 'y' but 'z' was a heart throb.

No apology necessary.

My dad who is nearly 93 and in a home, watches hardly anything else but this channel now.

It seems to bring him some comfort reliving memories from the past.

• Like 2

You know, there has been a thread on here about Swagman about once a year since the forum began. Isn't it about time someone made another speedway film we can all talk about? I know the sport isn't as popular as it once was, but it could still make a suitable and exciting backdrop to a film. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of star trek fan films out there on YouTube etc. Isn't there someone with the skill and knowledge to make a speedway fan film?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Only when dealing with people like you. You were trying to seem clever by the scheduler remark. It didn't work. There are those who use the forums to discuss and celebrate speedway. Then there are those purely flexing their egos like you. Sadly my patience is long exhausted by the likes of you.

You really do need to take a little water with it.....and perhaps seek some anger management therapy!!!

For those who REALLY DO ENJOY THE SPORT, I repeat you can watch the movie whenever you choose on Terrarium TV. No egos required for that!!!!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, adonis said:

......a story based in truth about the goings on behind the crumbling facade ,would surely draw an audience 

A warts an' all account eh? That's not what I had in mind, but you know, that could just shake up a few people.

All we now is a well written story and a film maker with the necessary skill.

I never got round to watching this film till now. Quite entertaining but best of all.....

Through exhausts. Hmmmmm

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, False dawn said:

You know, there has been a thread on here about Swagman about once a year since the forum began. Isn't it about time someone made another speedway film we can all talk about? I know the sport isn't as popular as it once was, but it could still make a suitable and exciting backdrop to a film. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of star trek fan films out there on YouTube etc. Isn't there someone with the skill and knowledge to make a speedway fan film?

My late mother" God Rest Her Soul"  used to talk about a film about Speedway starring Jimmy Handley . I have never tracked it down, any ideas?

6 hours ago, wealdstone said:

My late mother" God Rest Her Soul"  used to talk about a film about Speedway starring Jimmy Handley . I have never tracked it down, any ideas?

He appeared in the aforementioned film 'The Blue Lamp' which featured White City Stadium but not aware of a speedway related film.