British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OGT

Once A Jolly Swagman

30 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

He appeared in the aforementioned film 'The Blue Lamp' which featured White City Stadium but not aware of a speedway related film.

Thank, she always claimed that he played the part of a Speedway Rider in the film. I knew he was in The Blue Lamp a film from which  Dixon of Dock Green emanated

• Like 1

11 hours ago, False dawn said:

I never got round to watching this film till now. Quite entertaining but best of all.....

Through exhausts. Hmmmmm

With engines only a quarter of the power ... purrr ...

• Confused 2

On 31/01/2018 at 8:01 PM, adonis said:

Our sport that is slowly being made extinct by developers ,the Polish speedway authorities , our own idiotic governing body , rider greed , falling wages , hangers on ,and people who give the appearance of being nice but are really not ,  has it all ,  it should be easy for a creative writer to make a story out of that ,lets face it if people will pay to watch utter rubbish like the fast and the furious , a story based in truth about the goings on behind the crumbling facade ,would surely draw an audience 

Carry On Speedway has a certain ring to it...

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, False dawn said:

You know, there has been a thread on here about Swagman about once a year since the forum began. Isn't it about time someone made another speedway film we can all talk about? I know the sport isn't as popular as it once was, but it could still make a suitable and exciting backdrop to a film. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of star trek fan films out there on YouTube etc. Isn't there someone with the skill and knowledge to make a speedway fan film?

Something about Speedway along the lines of the flat track sections of On Any Sunday would make a fantastic documentary I always thought.

3 hours ago, Vince said:

Something about Speedway along the lines of the flat track sections of On Any Sunday would make a fantastic documentary I always thought.

Slightly off topic, but Berwick have announced that they are going to be filmed all year for a documentary.

http://www.berwickbandits.co/news/bandits-film

• Like 1

Well done Berwick! I hope it does turn out to be an excellent production to give some much needed good publicity for the club and the sport at large and that it reaches a wide audience.

Did anyone spot a 1954 film called Stock Car on the Talking Pictures channel the other day?

The action took place at a certain Westingay Stadium, a mash up of West Ham and Harringay perhaps??

Couldn't identify the track/stadium however.

2 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Just checked on IMB, it looks as if it was filmed at Staines stadium in Surrey.

Did speedway ever take place there?

Staines Greyhound Stadium was in Middlesex then.

It was also used for the 1964 film 'Seance On A Wet Afternoon' after the stadium had been closed for many years.

Before it was demolished one of the buildings from the stadium was bought by the local model railway club and i understand that it is still used as their clubhouse today.

There is an episode of Look at Life called 'Smashing Through' that features Stock Cars at Staines Stadium.

Edited by Hot Shoe
additional info

I  would thought that the majority of this film is set prior to World War 2.

4 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Some of it is, but more than half is during the war (including a very funny scene where Bill Fox dozes off during a lecture on how to start a motor bike. The instructor challenges him to demonstrate what he should have heard, so Bill rides around the parade ground broadside).

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

...and none of it in the 50s.

• Like 1