British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Jim Airey Interview

Fascinating interview with Australia's Jim Airey in the latest 'Backtrack' edition. A ride at his peak who appeared to give it all away but at least I had the opportunity of seeing him ride during a rare appearance at Cowley in 1973.

• Like 1

I don't get the magazine so I've not seen the article, but I remember Jim " the trapper", and his pal Gordon Guasco from the days when they were riding in the UK.

My overriding memory of Jim was the night he "slid off" on the first turn at monmore green, got up and recovered for a third place in a match between Wolves & Newport.

It was the only race that didn't finish 5-1 to the home team, and I think the 64-14 scoreline is still some sort of a record.:D

• Like 1

Another excellent issue. Will definitely get the sister publication to read more about Jim Airey.

However, was shocked to read in the article on Norwegians that my comments about Reidar Eide and Odd Fossengen were attributed to "Sidney the Robin" rather than myself. Can't say too much as the matter is in the hands of my legal team, but Sidney getting the credit!!!!!

• Like 4

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jim Airey Article.

I saw Jim at Sunderland when he came, with Gordon Guasco, over from Australia to ride for us.

It was obvious even then that he was potentially, a great talent as was Gordon.

I look forward to reading the piece in 'Classic Speedway' when it comes out.

salty - I subscribe to both 'BackTrack' and 'Classic Speedway', that way you don't miss anything.

• Like 3

On 28/01/2018 at 12:24 PM, salty said:

Another excellent issue. Will definitely get the sister publication to read more about Jim Airey.

However, was shocked to read in the article on Norwegians that my comments about Reidar Eide and Odd Fossengen were attributed to "Sidney the Robin" rather than myself. Can't say too much as the matter is in the hands of my legal team, but Sidney getting the credit!!!!!

Sorry  salty i owe you half a shandy gutted sorry .!,

On 28/01/2018 at 12:24 PM, salty said:

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Sorry, Salt. Please accept our unreserved apology for any upset caused!

The proof-reader has been shot.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, Dave Jones said:

I don't get the magazine so I've not seen the article

Why not, Dave?

If Backtrack and Classic Speedway weren't around to track down Jim Airey and all the many other past riders we've featured since 2004, who will?

We need the support of the speedway community. Without it, what is the point?

Edited by tmc
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, tmc said:

Why not, Dave?

If Backtrack and Classic Speedway weren't around to track down Jim Airey and all the many other past riders we've featured since 2004, who will?

:lol:  Just ordered a copy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tmc said:

Why not, Dave?

...wouldn't be without my copies! Both great reads when speedway attracted thousands rather than hundreds!

• Like 2

Both Publications are well worth the money. I always look forward to mine arriving with great anticipation. I have never been let down.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2018 at 12:36 PM, tmc said:

Sorry, Salt. Please accept our unreserved apology for any upset caused!

The proof-reader has been shot.

Belatedly saw this. Apology accepted - legal hounds have been called off.

But it's Salty, not Salt.

• Like 1

Backtrack and speedway stop press are the only 2 publications I still collect. Stop press was a London track fanzine published between 1969 - 72. My formative years in the sport, when I was just cutting my speedway teeth!

• Like 1