British Speedway Forum
SCB

Hypocritical speedway fans

5 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

They obviously feel that if they did apply discrection now it could put the whole system at risk

So there is no discretion? Perhaps that's what the official guidelines should say then? I've no axe to grind either way, I'm a Bees fan :sad:. But this is February and clubs are still debating various rules with the authorities which directly affect team building. That can't be right, surely?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, False dawn said:

So there is no discretion? Perhaps that's what the official guidelines should say then? I've no axe to grind either way, I'm a Bees fan :sad:. But this is February and clubs are still debating various rules with the authorities which directly affect team building. That can't be right, surely?

Id say that means they feel discretion should remain part of the regs but that now is not the right time to apply it

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

now is not the right time to apply it

Why?

11 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Id say that means they feel discretion should remain part of the regs but that now is not the right time to apply it

Which is entirely the problem!

In other words, it depends who is asking, which is a big factor in the sport being in the mess it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

In other words, it depends who is asking, which is a big factor in the sport being in the mess it is.

I see you point and no doubt that has been behind more than a few decisions

However I would hope that in this case that not the right time means because it is now rather than because it is Edinburgh asking

42 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Can't remember which ex member of the MC said it, but in the SS one week a good while ago, he said promoters would ring round from one MC member to another until one of them eventually agreed with what that promoter wanted to do. 

Often asking for a decision to include a rider with literally minutes to tapes up...

Basically they were looking for just one (any) MC member to interpret a rule the same way they had, thus giving them the green light..

Cannot run a Sport like that if it wants credibilty and to be viewed as 'professional'... 

In any sport (or indeed in any walk of life) where decision makers can be viewed as potentially acting with vested interest, then there is even more need for transparency with publicly detailed reasoning for any decisions reached...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, False dawn said:

Maybe they felt with the number of number of unsigned British riders, it wouldn't be appropriate to support the visa application of a foreign rider who doesn't meet the current requirements?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Can't remember which ex member of the MC said it, but in the SS one week a good while ago, he said promoters would ring round from one MC member to another until one of them eventually agreed with what that promoter wanted to do. 

Often asking for a decision to include a rider with literally minutes to tapes up...

Basically they were looking for just one (any) MC member to interpret a rule the same way they had, thus giving them the green light..

Cannot run a Sport like that if it wants credibilty and to be viewed as 'professional'... 

In any sport (or indeed in any walk of life) where decision makers can be viewed as potentially acting with vested interest, then there is even more need for transparency with publicly detailed reasoning for any decisions reached...

Doubt that. There is always one member on the MC on standby to give rulings when they are needed.

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Doubt that. There is always one member on the MC on standby to give rulings when they are needed.

Definitely 100% remember reading it in an interview with one of the ex MC promoters in the SS...

He did explain the process but that not always first port of call was available,  particularly when close to tapes up..

I remember he went on to say how hard the job was particularly when confronted by Promoters even threatening to close the track down if he didn't agree with what was being requested, making out that HE would be responsible for the demise of a track!!

Don't envy the MC when so many rules are subjective and therefore by definition, prejudicial..

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Definitely 100% remember reading it in an interview with one of the ex MC promoters in the SS...

He did explain the process but that not always first port of call was available,  particularly when close to tapes up..

I remember he went on to say how hard the job was particularly when confronted by Promoters even threatening to close the track down if he didn't agree with what was being requested, making out that HE would be responsible for the demise of a track!!

Don't envy the MC when so many rules are subjective and therefore by definition, prejudicial..

I can only go one discussions with George English who was a regular MC member on call. MC members might collaborate with other MC members if more information is needed, but I don't think you can pick and mix answers from favoured members.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, ch958 said:

kind of related - someone just posted on fb that there are more than double the number of riders unemployed than doubling up.

something not right there - perhaps this informs attitudes to work permits.

i guess a fair percentage of members voted for brexit - well nows our chance to make sure those riders are employed before any visas are issued

There is a desperate shortage of riders in the UK. Lower the qualification rules for more non-UK riders to fill the gap!

Brian Collins

Edited by TwoMinuteWarning
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 9:43 AM, MattK said:

Maybe they felt with the number of number of unsigned British riders, it wouldn't be appropriate to support the visa application of a foreign rider who doesn't meet the current requirements?

A fair enough reason... so simply say that!

3 hours ago, TwoMinuteWarning said:

There is a desperate shortage of riders in the UK. Lower the qualification rules for more non-UK riders to fill the gap!

Brian Collins

well apparently there isn't.

And now celebrating the BSPA changing the rules in February, 3 months after the AGM, to allow Scott Nicholls to drop down when Lakeside were told (correctly) he rules didn’t allow Scott or Ed Kennett to drop down.

Why do Speedway fans have such little integrity? It’s like the sport being a shambles is what most deserve. They’ll be wondering next week why nobody takes the sport serious.

Its not the Kennett / Nichols ruling that make people not take the sport seriously, its the fact that riders can ride for two different teams in the same country at the same time that people cant understand