British Speedway Forum

43 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

What exactly needs explaining?

Seems it's you have the problem.

I can assure you that I don't have "the problem".

It is the global sport of speedway that may have the problem if it doesn't realize that if it wishes to attract global audiences and corporate advertising then it must move with the times and accept that peoples' expectations change.

If people have a desire to closely inspect the anatomy of other people, I am sure that a subscription to Health and Efficiency will prove more suitable.

Of course, BWitcher, you may well be right and the majority of TV viewers may be in your camp but I choose not to be.

15 minutes ago, fubar said:

I can assure you that I don't have "the problem".

It is the global sport of speedway that may have the problem if it doesn't realize that if it wishes to attract global audiences and corporate advertising then it must move with the times and accept that peoples' expectations change.

If people have a desire to closely inspect the anatomy of other people, I am sure that a subscription to Health and Efficiency will prove more suitable.

Of course, BWitcher, you may well be right and the majority of TV viewers may be in your camp but I choose not to be.

Ah but you do have 'the problem' as you are complaining about it.

So again, what is the issue you have with an attractive woman? Is it sinful? Should women always be covered up? Maybe you'd be more at home in the Middle East?

As for people's expectations... in every available survey conducted since this movement towards abolishing women from these types of roles began the support has been massively to retain them.

Unfortunately companies pander to a very vocal vociferous, vindictive minority whose aim is to impose their views on others and lambast them if they don't tow the line. You are very much party to that.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Why do you think that I have an issue with an attractive woman?

I am merely suggesting that Speedway as a global family sport which attempts to appeal to populations around the world with different ethnicities and belief systems needs to be ahead of the curve with regard to how it seeks to promote itself.

Of course, the fact that I am camper than a row of pink tents probably explains my viewpoint.

Only joking!

4 hours ago, fubar said:

I watched some Polish speedway last night where there were grid girls.

The zooming in close ups of parts of these young women's anatomy was frankly pathetic.

If you were sitting watching this with your children/grandchildren how would you explain this camera work to them.

Time to move on.

Surely the issue here is with the cameramen and director, and the way the girls are portrayed,  rather than with the girls themselves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fubar said:

I am merely suggesting that Speedway as a global family sport which attempts to appeal to populations around the world with different ethnicities and belief systems needs to be ahead of the curve with regard to how it seeks to promote itself.

Of course, the fact that I am camper than a row of pink tents probably explains my viewpoint.

Only joking!

You have clearly stated it's embarassing. Now you're fast back pedalling. Why is it embarassing?

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

You have clearly stated it's embarassing. Now you're fast back pedalling. Why is it embarassing?

What can be embarrassing is the way these girls have their, ahem, "private parts" zoomed into - particularly by Easter European TV companies.

If there is an issue, surely the issue should be this rather than actually having girls doing the job. I think people are pointing the finger in the wrong place by wanting the get rid of the girls.

3 hours ago, norbold said:

I'm not particularly opposed to having umbrella girls but to use as an excuse that that is their only role in speedway and without it they'd have none is more degrading than them actually parading up and down. Their role in the sport could be as administrators, as referees, as mechanics or, Heaven forbid, as riders. That's what should be encouraged.

Administrators = out of sight of the public
Referees = out of sight of the public
Riders and Mechanics...could be done, but they would have to get there on merit. None of your trendy lefty Corbynista women-only shortlists. And sad to say, wherever you go, whether it's in the pit lanes of MotoGP or F1, or speedway, none of the jobs that involve getting a bit of dirt under the finger nails seems to attract the women in.   F1 & MotoGP has some female Press & PR people, probably for their "people skills", but you don't get that in speedway much, do you?

30 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Where did I say anything was embarrassing?

28 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What can be embarrassing is the way these girls have their, ahem, "private parts" zoomed into - particularly by Easter European TV companies.

If there is an issue, surely the issue should be this rather than actually having girls doing the job. I think people are pointing the finger in the wrong place by wanting the get rid of the girls.

The people who run Formula 1 are brighter than the people who run speedway.

Formula 1 has dispensed with grid girls as they are no longer appropriate for a global audience.

So who is more likely to be right Formula 1 or Speedway?

Is it "no longer appropriate"  or is it the Right wing chauvinistic press under the guise of "PC" making sure women don't get seen, jobs, or allowed to be what they want? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fubar said:

The people who run Formula 1 are brighter than the people who run speedway.

Formula 1 has dispensed with grid girls as they are no longer appropriate for a global audience.

So who is more likely to be right Formula 1 or Speedway?

No, they like many other brands bow to the pressure of a nasty, vindictive, vociferous minority who 'claim' to be all about rights, but the reality is quite different. Do as they say or they will viciously attack you via social media platforms.

You can keep posting 'no longer appropriate for a global audience' as much as you wish, however every survey I have seen of F1 fans and Darts fans has been 80%+ in favour of keeping them. Interestingly there are just as many women in favor as men.

It's also very relevant that many of those 'against' don't even watch either sport, they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Icicle said:

Is it "no longer appropriate"  or is it the Right wing chauvinistic press under the guise of "PC" making sure women don't get seen, jobs, or allowed to be what they want? 

Right wing? Think you are getting your left and right mixed up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fubar said:

Does it? It's not F1 you know. It's an almost wholly European based series pitched at a European audience.

Just now, Sotonian said:

Does it? It's not F1 you know. It's an almost wholly European based series pitched at a European audience.

What the poster means to say is the sport should be pitching itself at social media warriors who don't watch the sport and will never watch the sport.

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

F1 & MotoGP has some female Press & PR people, probably for their "people skills", but you don't get that in speedway much, do you?

Funny being in this section because wasn't one of the press people at BSI a woman?Nicola something...

And also in this section have you seen the news that Team GB have been taken over by a male/female duo?

Then there was a Polish female promoter?Marta something....

Brokstedt have had a female team manager for a decade or more in the Bundesliga

And the press boss or one of them at Russian ice speedway team,Ufa was/is also a woman,although I think she has just taken a job as a press officer for the Russian Football World Cup