British Speedway Forum

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, uk_martin said:

Maybe we should go back to riders in black leathers riding Douglas's and Rudge's around cinder tracks then? That's what most fans on the terraces would recognise.

Maybe the old timers not recognising the sport any more isn't the problem, maybe the sport not being attractive to a newer and younger audience is the real problem?

I'm sure that we can both agree that speedway was far more popular in the times your describing , the sport must have had something going for it to draw crowds like it did. Mostly in sport and in life children are introduced to a pastime / sport by their parents or family, I'm sure most of us are in that boat. These days instead of becoming hooked like we did, kids are being introduced and then are drifting away. Never before have I seen so few kids at speedway, 20 years ago there used to be loads, the announcer had to remind them to keep their legs the right side of the wall about 4 times a night. I've said it about a dozen times on here, the  things that hooked me as a kid are largely not present in the sport now, the noise , the smell for 2. Throw in largely processional racing and the kids are bored, for that matter so are most of the adults. Its no secret why the sport is dying On a broader note motor sport fans want raw motor sport. Not sanitised, not quiet, not green. This is currently tripping Formula 1 and Speedway up. The owners of Formula 1 know they have made a mistake going down this route and will eventually make changes to rectify it , unfortunately speedway wont be able to do this , it wouldn't surprise me if speedway sanitises further and  eventually lurches towards electric. Also expect the grid girls to return to Formula 1

The President of the Monaco Motorsports Federation has said that he is all for retaining the tradtion of having glamorous grid girls. He said that there will be grid girls at the Monaco GP this year, come what may, in one form or another. If F1 demands Kids to hold the umbrellas and/or name plates for the drivers, the grid grils will be get other things to do ;) but they will still be there at Monaco!   

On 4/7/2018 at 6:40 PM, New Science said:

Throw in largely processional racing and the kids are bored, for that matter so are most of the adults.

It is certainly what has almost killed my interest in watching speedway live. Most of the mega thousands of fans in the good old days have now passed away or are getting too unwell health wise to attend. This century has seen an enormous decline in interest which seems irreversible unless you introduce gimmicks. 

Seems to me the girls just get in the way of the guy trying to get interviews with the drivers etc in F1.  For the blokes and lesbians they are good to look at regards speedway I guess but I’d rather see stuff like slo-mos, emotional scenes from the crowd and pits, anything but boobs and bums lol  Luckily there are a whole lot more guys watch speedway than women eh!!