British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

Another crazy idea would be to stop using grid girls. There is absolutely no need to still have them. Grid girls are a thing of the past
and isn't something that should be present in 21st century motorsport events.

What was the need to have in the first place and how has that changed?

23 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

Another crazy idea would be to stop using grid girls. There is absolutely no need to still have them. Grid girls are a thing of the past
and isn't something that should be present in 21st century motorsport events.

They used to have men wearing coloured sweat shirts to indicate the rider lanes. Why shouldn't women be allowed to do the same job as men?

At Swindon there are 4 girls who indicate rider lanes, exclusions etc. They are supporters of the club. There is absolutely no sexual  conotation to it. I see no reason at all why anyone should be against this.

The Grand Prix may be a bit different, as there does seem to be sexuality involved, and the camera angles used by some countries' productions can be a bit embarassing. I can see why some people might be a bit unsure about the way they are used, although, personally, I thin it is pretty harmless.

• Like 1

Much better to get one or two of the Radio 4 Gardening panel to give their perspective on the quality of the gardening going on at the gate. It is essential to ensure that speedway is not too interesting. And Yes! it's about time that an onscreen warning was added saying that " the contents of the can or bottle in the riders hand cannot be guaranteed to be as the label indicates".

On 2018-03-30 at 4:44 PM, f-s-p said:

What was the need to have in the first place and how has that changed?

You tell me? As far as I can see there is no need for umbrella girls in motorsport. They do not add anything other then embarrassment.
In F1, from what I have read, the original use was for them to hold umbrellas to shield the drivers from sun or rain. F1 have come to the conclusion
that such service is no longer required. The only "use" the umbrella girls have in speedway is eye candy for old men and teenage boys i.e.
no real use at all.  I have yet to see a valid argument regarding what the umbrella girls add to a speedway meeting.

We don't have them in the Swedish leagues and we do just fine without them. Our spectators comes to the meeting to watch speedway racing not umbrella girls.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

You tell me? As far as I can see there is no need for umbrella girls in motorsport. They do not add anything other then embarrassment.
In F1, from what I have read, the original use was for them to hold umbrellas to shield the drivers from sun or rain. F1 have come to the conclusion
that such service is no longer required. The only "use" the umbrella girls have in speedway is eye candy for old men and teenage boys i.e.
no real use at all.  I have yet to see a valid argument regarding what the umbrella girls add to a speedway meeting.

We don't have them in the Swedish leagues and we do just fine without them. Our spectators comes to the meeting to watch speedway racing not umbrella girls.

Who is embarassed?

I'd suggest that anyone 'embarassed' is the one with the problem.

• Like 1

I'd rather keep the grid girls in speedway, but do away with the silly champagne splashing at the victory ceremonies. Why do we have to celebrate victory in a motorsports event with alcohol ? That is much more "embarrassing" than having a few good looking girls show the helmet colours of the riders at the start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

I'd rather keep the grid girls in speedway, but do away with the silly champagne splashing at the victory ceremonies. Why do we have to celebrate victory in a motorsports event with alcohol ? That is much more "embarrassing" than having a few good looking girls show the helmet colours of the riders at the start.

Basically what we have is a group of jealous woman trying to enforce their way on to others and a group of chauvenistic men telling women to 'cover up'.

Oh and a group just creeping to the vociferous minority for a bit of attention.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

What does your basic middle aged men look at then, if girls are for teens and pensioners?

Speedway does have actual problems you know, that need sorting. Girls with umbrellas are not one of them.

• Like 1

Take away the start line girls/ladies/women/females (delete according to your personal political correctness values) and you'll then have cries of "where are the women in this sport". And apart from the occasional co-promoter and less than a handful of referees, what actually would be the role of women in the sport?...and no, you can't count the very occasional track photographer that happens to be female.

I watched some Polish speedway last night where there were grid girls.

The zooming in close ups of parts of these young women's anatomy was frankly pathetic.

If you were sitting watching this with your children/grandchildren how would you explain this camera work to them.

Time to move on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fubar said:

The zooming in close ups of parts of these young women's anatomy was frankly pathetic.

If you were sitting watching this with your children/grandchildren how would you explain this camera work to them.

Time to move on.

So the change of director and new guidelines for cameramen would not work then?

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Take away the start line girls/ladies/women/females (delete according to your personal political correctness values) and you'll then have cries of "where are the women in this sport". And apart from the occasional co-promoter and less than a handful of referees, what actually would be the role of women in the sport?...and no, you can't count the very occasional track photographer that happens to be female.

I'm not particularly opposed to having umbrella girls but to use as an excuse that that is their only role in speedway and without it they'd have none is more degrading than them actually parading up and down. Their role in the sport could be as administrators, as referees, as mechanics or, Heaven forbid, as riders. That's what should be encouraged.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

So the change of director and new guidelines for cameramen would not work then?

Can you tell us more about these changes and when they are effective from, f-s-p?

My point was that instead of getting rid of the girls, cameramen would be advised not to zoom on pussycats or melons. And if they did, the director would change the camera thats on feed. But no, you want to get rid of the girls...

3 hours ago, fubar said:

Time to move on.

What exactly needs explaining?

Seems it's you have the problem.

Edited by BWitcher