British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
22A

Bye bye Gate girls?

Following the announcement that Formula 1 will dispense with Grid Girls and darts are to drop Walk on Girls, will Speedway follow suit and dispense with it's Gate Girls?

You do know that we used have blokes in quite smart outfits, often colour coded to the helmet colours, long before gate girls, as you call them, were ever thought of?

But on balance, I much prefer the girls!

Happier times at a stadium I knew quite well.....

Coventry 2000.jpg

It's bound to - don't agree with it personally but the promoters will want to appear to be politically correct.

33 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

reading phil lannings piece in the speedway star today about the media and speedways lack of ability to use it , this is exactly the sort of thing to get the media attention , speedway should take a stand against this BS that is parading around the news at the moment and tell the media we are going to continue to use start girls cause we believe its an important part of the show ,etc,etc  ,be different kick up a fuss ,this is what the media wants to fill their dreary pages , it is a story already written for the papers ,use it

Absolutely. I said the same thing myself, elsewhere.

The Sun front page today was criticising the decision. There was a front page story opportunity there for the taking by supporting these girls who are being victimised.

Edited by Grachan

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

reading phil lannings piece in the speedway star today about the media and speedways lack of ability to use it , this is exactly the sort of thing to get the media attention , speedway should take a stand against this BS that is parading around the news at the moment and tell the media we are going to continue to use start girls cause we believe its an important part of the show ,etc,etc  ,be different kick up a fuss ,this is what the media wants to fill their dreary pages , it is a story already written for the papers ,use it

IT was his older brother Russell Lanning ...

Agree, great opportunity to make a stance and create much needed publicity. The Monster models are very much part of the GP roadshow and add professional glamour to the event. They are not half naked, sleazy or forced into it. It’s a job they appear to enjoy. 

As Dean states, the media opportunity is there for the taking. Use it, don’t follow the BS PC Brigade. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT was his older brother Russell Lanning ...

I did look at the picture and think he aged badly lol

In speedway, darts or F1 - pop them all into a burka and problem solved. They will add female "glamour" with their smiles but remain modest.

• Haha 2

I've never particularly seen the benefit in having the girls on the start line but equally I see no reason to get rid of them.

What has all this politically correct campaigning achieved? - Quite a few people who no longer have jobs. Well done the PC brigade!

I'm quite intrigued by the suggestion to play the bad boy and grab a few easy headlines by keeping them. On the basis that there's no such thing as bad publicity, that could put a few more bums on seats ( oh dear can I still say that - apologies to anyone offended!).

Guest GiveusaB

Frightened to hold a door open, or give my seat up on a packed train/bus for a female, just in case I get arrested in 25 years time for sexual harassment! :D

Women are fast becoming the driving force in this world and they have/hold ALL the power!

Guest GiveusaB
2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Can't have grid girls but a TV programme that chooses a partner on what they look like naked.   

Wont be too long before you have to change your profile photo!!!

I'm not sure if the "Gate Girls" are paid very much (if anything) but given the parlous state of speedway's finances, getting shot of them

might save a few bob!

Edited by Mr Snackette

19 hours ago, 22A said:

Following the announcement that Formula 1 will dispense with Grid Girls and darts are to drop Walk on Girls, will Speedway follow suit and dispense with it's Gate Girls?

See my thread "Umbrella girls" in the SGP section. Very similar thoughts.