British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Romford Speedway Reunion in 2019

Plans are in full swing for a Romford Speedway Reunion in 2019, yes you read that right, 2019!
Next year it will be 50 years when the smell of methanol and the sound of speedway bikes were heard for the first time at the Brooklands Road Stadium! The venue and date for the Bombers reunion will be announced next month at the annual ‘Celebration of Speedway’ event on February 18th, which is held at Paradise Wildlife Park in Broxbourne, home of the Nati...onal Speedway Museum. More details on the Celebration of Speedway can be found at:-
https://www.pwpark.com/whats…/events/celebration-of-speedway
Exciting plans are in progress for an evening of pure Romford Speedway nostalgia, with hopefully some ex Bombers riders in attendance.
More details will be available in the coming months. If you were a Bombers fan you really won’t want to miss this!
See more

RomR.jpg

• Like 3

Can't believe it was 50 years ago that I was a regular at Brooklands. Was at the Crewe match and supported them throughout their sadly short existence.  Great times.

I only went to Romford once, my dad took me to see the Czechs there in 1970. I did see a few of the bombers matches at west ham in 1972.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I only went to Romford once, my dad took me to see the Czechs there in 1970. I did see a few of the bombers matches at west ham in 1972.

Two tracks I wish I had the opportunity of visiting!

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Remember the Czech meeting well. Probably one of the most exciting matches I've ever seen. Over 10,000 packed into the stadium, and I think someone forgot to tell the Czech riders that the safety fence was made of concrete the way they were flying around it.  Also followed the Bombers at West Ham, but with both the team and the stadium living on borrowed time it was all a bit sad watching really. 

13 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Remember the Czech meeting well. Probably one of the most exciting matches I've ever seen. Over 10,000 packed into the stadium, and I think someone forgot to tell the Czech riders that the safety fence was made of concrete the way they were flying around it.  Also followed the Bombers at West Ham, but with both the team and the stadium living on borrowed time it was all a bit sad watching really. 

Being a Wimbledon fan, Romford was never an option for me. The night I went the dons were away at Sheffield!

Yes it was a scandal that such a well supported sports team, the Romford Bombers were forced to close cause of one blokes campaign. Ironically, the blokes son was a "Bombers" regular and the guy moved soon after winning his campaign.

I'm convinced that had Romford speedway been allowed to continue, the Bombers with their huge support would of eventually gone into the top flight and become one of the biggest club sides in the Country, probably much the same as Ipswich speedway did who opened the same year as Romford in 1969!

I believe the stadium was knocked down in the late 70's because the football team were struggling and couldn't afford to keep it open, how ironic again!

I also think that reopening Romford speedway at the Greyhound track would also be viable even in current times and would be the closest thing we'd have to a London track!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Yes it was a scandal that such a well supported sports team, the Romford Bombers were forced to close cause of one blokes campaign. Ironically, the blokes son was a "Bombers" regular and the guy moved soon after winning his campaign.

I'm convinced that had Romford speedway been allowed to continue, the Bombers with their huge support would of eventually gone into the top flight and become one of the biggest club sides in the Country, probably much the same as Ipswich speedway did who opened the same year as Romford in 1969!

I believe the stadium was knocked down in the late 70's because the football team were struggling and couldn't afford to keep it open, how ironic again!

I also think that reopening Romford speedway at the Greyhound track would also be viable even in current times and would be the closest thing we'd have to a London track!

Yes, I've always wondered what would have happened if they had not been forced to close. When Custom House was sold, would they have bought West Ham's First Division license instead of Ipswich.

As for the Greyhound Stadium, no chance of speedway there I'm affraid. The houses are even closer than at Brooklands.

I've been to Romford greyhound stadium and there is lots of noise and the main London, Liverpool St to Norwich is right next to it. I can't imagine one night of speedway a week 25 times a year in the summer with strict time limits, acoustic barriers and the pits area situated in a position in the stadium where its noise is kept to a minimum like Birmingham would be a problem?

There must have been 3-5000 at the dog meeting at Romford when I went and we parked although it was difficult to find a space. 

Now in current times I doubt if hardly any team meetings in British speedway get more than 2500 at the most!

Speedway at Romford Greyhound stadium could work I think!

16 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

There must have been 3-5000 at the dog meeting at Romford when I went and we parked although it was difficult to find a space. 

Now in current times I doubt if hardly any team meetings in British speedway get more than 2500 at the most!

Speedway at Romford Greyhound stadium could work I think!

Pretty sure the Greyhound Stadium would have been the first place the promoters looked at to replace Brooklands all those years ago.  If there was any chance of speedway at Romford Greyhound Stadium it would have happened before now. As you say  it would have been successful, no doubt.

I think I read that the greyhound stadium is going the same way as Wimbledon’s stadium in Plough Lane. I’m sure there are restrictions on numbers in the stadium due to health & safety issues. If it’s true it's a very familiar story, run it to the ground and sell it off for housing.

As for a Romford Reunion bring it on! Great times with fantastic rivalry between Brian Foote and Crayford’s Tony Childs. Dave Lanning [and his Eastbourne Eagles] had a love/hate relationship with the Bombers fans, George Major and Alf Wells weren’t particularly popular either! As for Len Silver and his Rayleigh Rockets…..

1976 World Speedway Champion Peter Collins had one meeting at the Brooklands Stadium in 1971, wonder what he made of the place?  

In those days promoters were a different class to the muppets who ran clubs today! Maurice Morley now 93 I believe is in reasonable health and wouldn’t it be fantastic to see at the Romford Reunion!

• Like 1

Any update please in  regard to the Romford Reunion? I have seen the illustrated advert in an earlier Post but wondered if something more positive might be available from the organisers like, for instance, riders to be in attendance. Thank you.

Edited by Guest

Update on this year’s Romford Speedway Reunion. Tickets will go on sale at the Celebration of Speedway held at Paradise Wildlife Park on the 17th February. Tickets are £9 in advance and £10 on the night, but there will be limited availability on the night so best to get your ticket in advance to guarantee admission.

Tickets can be bought directly from me by contacting me by either

email:romfordspeedway@outlook.com

Or

Telephone: 07831 333904

There’s a car park at the rear of the RUSSC venue with its entrance via Linden Street, parking is available in local streets nearby. The pedstrian entrance to the club is in Mawney Road at the junction with the ring road.  It's about a 10 minute walk from Romford station.

There is a licenced bar and for those wishing to eat their will be food available behind the bar at very reasonable prices.

Hoping to be able to start naming some Bombers who have said they’ll be in attendance soon. It really will be a great night of pure Romford Speedway nostalgia, it’s coming home, Romford Speedway’s coming home……..  

Ist race at Rom.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1