British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bloom89

No job

I had the same opinion as Richard the moment 39 point limit was announced I knew that my lad Shane hazelden would struggle to get a team place with his average and coming back from injury. I was talk to by a couple of teams he was in their team plans if the limit was higher. Basically 4.5 to 6 point riders geting replaced by untried 3 pointers

Edited by GARRYH
Typo

I have to admit that i was one that thought the 39 point limit should stay and on some side i agree with that but i am far more divided with my opinion now that teams are starting to be finalised. The issue that the league has developed is that with a lesser product than a few years ago riders averages are being greatly inflated over the course of a season and it makes it difficult to fit certain riders into certain teams. 

The major issues lay with the leagues above as there is nowhere for riders to progress to whilst the league is also peppered with riders who have reached their level and look very unlikely to progress any further yet still have the "right" averages to fit into teams year on year while others struggle to make a break into a team or string a run of seasons together.

in the early 00's wasn't there a reduction of something like 1.5 pts on a riders average if they were british ? why was that dropped ? or am i the only one who thinks this rule existed   :unsure:

Edited by gee jay

46 minutes ago, gee jay said:

in the early 00's wasn't there a reduction of something like 1.5 pts on a riders average if they were british ? why was that dropped ? or am i the only one who thinks this rule existed   :unsure:

It did indeed exist but has never done so in the NL.

Guest GiveusaB

I wish the powers that be would adopt a more 'central/flexible' points system for the National League ?

Scrap the average selection and use a A,B,C,D category....1 rider from A and 2 riders from B,C,D each category 

A = ave 8 or above B = ave 6 to 8 C = 4 to 6 and D 0 to 4 (may be category D riders being under 18)

Afterall, it's about developing British talent, not winning trophies and accolades !?

We want to see/encourage our future stars...not impede them!

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I wish the powers that be would adopt a more 'central/flexible' points system for the National League ?

Scrap the average selection and use a A,B,C,D category....1 rider from A and 2 riders from B,C,D each category 

A = ave 8 or above B = ave 6 to 8 C = 4 to 6 and D 0 to 4 (may be category D riders being under 18)

Afterall, it's about developing British talent, not winning trophies and accolades !?

How would that help?

If you have more riders in each category than team places, you are guaranteeing that some riders will be without a team (as the points limit effectively does).

If you have the same number of riders as team places, you will have to lock some riders out of the league.

15 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Can't believe this same stupid comment keeps coming up!      How many times have we all debunked this nonsense?

To repeat again.  The average system offers 100 individual grades for every point of the average, and is as flexible as it can be!

Using your daft grades, a rider with a 6.01 average is totally unemployable.   Why would anyone want a 6.01 rider when they could use a 7.99 in the same place?

Similarly, a 5.99 rider is in massive demand.  He's much better value than a 4.01 rider in the same spot.     So we have Mr 6.01 unemployable, and Mr 5.99 (who is of equal ability) in massive demand.

There are 11 NL teams, and 77 places.   There are only ever going to be 77 places, and bringing in a barmy system which would give totally unequal teams will not change that.

Please can no one ever repeat this stupid idea ever again?

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 1

Guest GiveusaB
37 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Can't believe this same stupid comment keeps coming up!      How many times have we all debunked this nonsense?

To repeat again.  The average system offers 100 individual grades for every point of the average, and is as flexible as it can be!

Using your daft grades, a rider with a 6.01 average is totally unemployable.   Why would anyone want a 6.01 rider when they could use a 7.99 in the same place?

Similarly, a 5.99 rider is in massive demand.  He's much better value than a 4.01 rider in the same spot.     So we have Mr 6.01 unemployable, and Mr 5.99 (who is of equal ability) in massive demand.

There are 11 NL teams, and 77 places.   There are only ever going to be 77 places, and bringing in a barmy system which would give totally unequal teams will not change that.

Please can no one ever repeat this stupid idea ever again?

LOL....I think you might need a cup of tea and a biscuit!:D

Guest GiveusaB

May be its a crap idea....I dont know?

I guess increasing the points limit will only prevent lower average riders/newcomers progressing ?

Who will want them if the points limit's increased?

13 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

May be its a crap idea....I dont know?

Perhaps you're new to the sport, since you don't know.

If you'd been around a while you'd know it was a crap idea. 

I've said it before make all 3 leagues 42.5, leave it alone for a minimum of 3 years, you're always get stronger and weaker teams (no different to now with 39) but shouldn't have this problem with riders like Knight unable to get a ride, and the likes of Brennen ,Kemp etc will ride against  better riders before going up a league.

Actually having  thought about it again scrap that idea, it's far too simple.

Edited by gazzac

Perhaps a better idea would be to go back to the squad system that the league used to have.   The heat leaders currently without a place could share a position with riders who are also riding in the Championship and therefore will often miss meetings.   Surely much better than using guests and forcing some riders into retirement.

It is ironic that promoters state that they need doubling up between the PL & CL as there is a shortage of riders, yet several riders in both CL and NL, could retire if they are unable to get a place, meaning even less riders in the sport !

Looking at the bigger picture why is it that say Australian riders in particular get much more opportunities than young English riders? Now don’t get me wrong some of them do add quality to the British leagues but it’s just so wrong when promoters bring them over supply them with a brand new van, a load of sponsorship and somewhere to live during the season. Why don’t promoters do all this for English riders?

Well, Bloom89, I am sure that some British riders DO get help.  In the past I have been on very friendly terms with a few promoters. All of them,

without exception would have preferred a British rider to an overseas one. The difference is that the overseas rider is more single minded and

simply HAS to succeed or go home for ever  ( as many have done). So the best of the overseas riders succeed and the comparable

Brit will still be following another occupation alongside his speedway.  This does not help him to go forward.   I have heard and read many complaints from the

parents of young British riders about overseas riders being helped more than "Their" boy...usually it is because the lad does not show the right talent

or attitude and has nothing to do with him being "British"..  I do not see any young rider with any talent without a team place excepting for those with

an average who are frozen out by silly rules.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Looking at the bigger picture why is it that say Australian riders in particular get much more opportunities than young English riders? Now don’t get me wrong some of them do add quality to the British leagues but it’s just so wrong when promoters bring them over supply them with a brand new van, a load of sponsorship and somewhere to live during the season. Why don’t promoters do all this for English riders?

My son has Never had any of that.... bought his own van rents his own house n procured his own sponsorship...  last year he drove himsrlf to races ,  raced n drove home. Then on some occasions went to work at 2am ..  works on his own bikes n is then back on the road to do it all again .. all for 10 pound a point.... why .. cos he loves to ride n having fun with the fans .. even tho hes frowned apon by some cos hes 1 of them bl&%^y  imports !

Edited by raddog