British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bloom89

No job

9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

What on earth has a "fair run in Speedway" got to do with the disgraceful situation where good riders are unemployed while no-hopers

have team places ???    If you go to work for 20 years and along comes a younger man with no knowledge, no skill ands no prospect,

and he takes your job. Would you expect others to comment that  "you've had a fair run".  I do not think so.  Some people on this forum

have a very strange way of looking at life, and our sport.

Id say its all down to interpretation. The majority of riders left out good or not have had time in the speedway leagues to prove themselves & have found their level. Much like many companies have employees who have progressed so far and then stayed in the same role for a long time as they have limited progression left in them. Unless new riders / apprentices come in the sport/company would fail in the long run.

That said i have nothing against any of the riders left out and like the majority of them. Personally there are plenty of middle averaged riders going nowhere that need clearing out rather than the top enders but until a new breed come in and up their averages to take those places we will continue to be stuck with them.

Trouble is that NL is no longer a development League and you get all the mediocre PL league riders hanging around and topping up their earnings and probably being the best paid for doing so Max Clegg & Mitchell Davey as examples (nothing against these guys as they are not breaking any rules).Speedway needs a rethink.

28 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Trouble is that NL is no longer a development League and you get all the mediocre PL league riders hanging around and topping up their earnings and probably being the best paid for doing so Max Clegg & Mitchell Davey as examples (nothing against these guys as they are not breaking any rules).Speedway needs a rethink.

Whilst i love the NL it is also a divisive league. Riders like Clegg & Davey are either hanging around for the easy money or keeping sharp to aid their development in higher leagues? Bowen & Roynon dropping down because they cannot cut it in the higher leagues or increasing the standard and providing invaluable advice? Verge & Wooley no genuine progression chances to the higher leagues or just slow burners?

Its very difficult to make sweeping changes as there will always be riders /clubs who suffer as the NL serves such a wide purpose.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

Are riders for each team selected on GSA averages i.e no bonus points added ?

48 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst i love the NL it is also a divisive league. Riders like Clegg & Davey are either hanging around for the easy money or keeping sharp to aid their development in higher leagues? Bowen & Roynon dropping down because they cannot cut it in the higher leagues or increasing the standard and providing invaluable advice? Verge & Wooley no genuine progression chances to the higher leagues or just slow burners?

Its very difficult to make sweeping changes as there will always be riders /clubs who suffer as the NL serves such a wide purpose.

Basically that is how the Original NL was formed out of the original 2nd division by becoming a higher quality,but the trouble nowadays there is not the fan base for 3 divisions of speedway.We now have 3 average leagues.

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Are riders for each team selected on GSA averages i.e no bonus points added ?

They are.

I'm not sure that Max was planning to ride NL this year as he had a slot in both the PL and CL.  Once he was dropped from Lakeside the opportunity to go to Stoke was probably a good one for him, as was the chance to keep busy with Buxton last year after being dropped by Wolves as he didn't start last season in the NL either.  I'm sure his preferred option is PL and CL doubling up.

Yes he should really have left the NL behind by now but I wouldn't blame him for taking the chance to stay busy, I'm sure Buxton and Stoke don't pay over the odds so it wouldn't be a money making exercise 

Guest GiveusaB

As Brian Buck pointed out.....Its the 'doubling up' that's buggering speedway up ! It will never improve unless something is changed in that department.

Yes, I would agree...Doubling Up is not helping the sport at Premier and Championship level.  Fewer places available because some riders

are holding down two jobs, so less opportunities for young Brits.  However, doubling Up between the National League and the Championship

is IMO perfectly legitimate and acts as a means by which a National League rider can take a step upward in his career..  I think most N.L.

fans accept such a situation even if it means that their star man misses a match or two.

On 14/02/2018 at 2:26 PM, GiveusaB said:

As Brian Buck pointed out.....Its the 'doubling up' that's buggering speedway up ! It will never improve unless something is changed in that department.

At one end of the scale people complain about doubling up, and at the other end of the scale other people are complaining about Edward Kennett and Scott Nicholls being prevented from doubling (down).

What a farce.

No one has mentioned George Hunter, I presume he is still looking for a team place, watched him last year at Plymouth and looked to really have improved since I saw him last.