British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

YOUR memories of AUSTRALIANS in Britain (1970-90)

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall he broke his scaphoid when attempting to replace a wheel on his car when the jack gave way.

He rode one meeting i believe Steve in 1973 before his scaphoid injury the next three years were the pinnacle of his career.He averaged over 10.5 twice and a 11.15 average 74,75,76, He had a bad injury with Martin Ashby at Sheffield in 77 but he came back and always averaged between 9 .5 and 10 points a meeting  if only he had put his Streety conversion away for the World Final 75/76 he had every chance great rider though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He rode one meeting i believe Steve in 1973 before his scaphoid injury the next three years were the pinnacle of his career.He averaged over 10.5 twice and a 11.15 average 74,75,76, He had a bad injury with Martin Ashby at Sheffield in 77 but he came back and always averaged between 9 .5 and 10 points a meeting  if only he had put his Streety conversion away for the World Final 75/76 he had every chance great rider though.

Yes, Sid, a great rider. I remember when he came to Cowley in 1974 riding for Newport and managed to smash the track record! Glad that I saw him ride at Newport (twice if I recall)...a difficult track which he graced with distinction! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Sid, a great rider. I remember when he came to Cowley in 1974 riding for Newport and managed to smash the track record! Glad that I saw him ride at Newport (twice if I recall)...a difficult track which he graced with distinction! 

We always had a load of meeting's against Newport great rivals with Crump,Street,Trigg,Tebby,Mudge etc) good crowds and Newport walloped us a few times great days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tmc said:

Wonder what happened to Dave and where is he now? He is one we would like to interview for Backtrack...

Was speaking to Adam Shields at Cardiff about 9 or 10 years ago and he said his Uncle Dave still had a spin on Matt Shields track. Said Dave's black leathers with the yellow handprint on the bum still fitted him too.

• Like 3

Given that had my parents not returned to the UK after nearly 3 years living out there I couldve been an Aussie I have often had soft spot for riders from down under although most of my  memories of are of those outside the Backtrack era. Shane Parker was a brilliant character and great entertainment and today Cam Heeps is all action and 'worth the admission money alone' as the saying goes.

During the Backtrack period there is of course just one I will pick out - the Witches legend that is Billy Sanders.

One of my first true heroes as a kid and a big influence on me understanding life (and death) as I hit my teenage years.

That October night at Smallmead watching the Witches clinch the title lead by Billy will never leave my memory and in all too short a time after how things changed!

More recently my brother was involved in helping the Leigh Herne and Taylor Poole so there is link to the Backtrack era through their fathers - quite apt given my first sentence.

Generally Ive always found the Aussies to be great fun and fierce competitors and a welcome and important part of British Speedway.

Whilst I support all efforts to promote British youngsters for me there is always a place for our antipodean cousins.

• Like 1

The first Australian speedway rider I saw was Ron Johnson at New Cross in April 1946. Sadly, great rider that he was for so many years, nowadays as are so many of the sport's early times stars Johnson is now a forgotten man in the speedway sense.

And I suspect there are few speedway followers who now recall and saw in action Australian riders like Vic Duggan, Frank Dolan, Aub Lawson, Jack Young, Jack Biggs to name just a few more. 

BTW I apologise for expanding outside the thread title which stipulated remembering Australian riders between 1970-90.

Edited by Guest

Of course, West Ham had 3 of the best but sadly all before my time :cry:.

5 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Of course, West Ham had 3 of the best but sadly all before my time :cry:.

...and the trio were 'Bluey' Wilkinson, Aub Lawson and Jack Young? Have I equated correctly customhouseregular?

18 hours ago, gustix said:

...and the trio were 'Bluey' Wilkinson, Aub Lawson and Jack Young? Have I equated correctly customhouseregular?

spot on.

I am surprised that so far Neil Cameron has not been mentioned. He was a pretty competent rider in the 1970s, firstly at Wimbledon then I think he had a spell with Newport?

7 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jim Airey often a forgotten man but how good was he.?

I remember him...he was pretty good without being outstanding.

21 hours ago, gustix said:

I am surprised that so far Neil Cameron has not been mentioned. He was a pretty competent rider in the 1970s, firstly at Wimbledon then I think he had a spell with Newport?

Remember Neil well. Looked useful at Wimbledon and then allocated to Poole in 1975 and was never the same rider. Rode at Newport briefly in 1976 before signing foe White City and lasted one match and promptly retired.

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

I remember him...he was pretty good without being outstanding.

However he did post a couple of strong averages (10+) during his last years spent riding in England.

20 hours ago, steve roberts said:

However he did post a couple of strong averages (10+) during his last years spent riding in England.

Fair point Steve.

• Like 1