British Speedway Forum
tmc

YOUR memories of AUSTRALIANS in Britain (1970-90)

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall he broke his scaphoid when attempting to replace a wheel on his car when the jack gave way.

He rode one meeting i believe Steve in 1973 before his scaphoid injury the next three years were the pinnacle of his career.He averaged over 10.5 twice and a 11.15 average 74,75,76, He had a bad injury with Martin Ashby at Sheffield in 77 but he came back and always averaged between 9 .5 and 10 points a meeting  if only he had put his Streety conversion away for the World Final 75/76 he had every chance great rider though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He rode one meeting i believe Steve in 1973 before his scaphoid injury the next three years were the pinnacle of his career.He averaged over 10.5 twice and a 11.15 average 74,75,76, He had a bad injury with Martin Ashby at Sheffield in 77 but he came back and always averaged between 9 .5 and 10 points a meeting  if only he had put his Streety conversion away for the World Final 75/76 he had every chance great rider though.

Yes, Sid, a great rider. I remember when he came to Cowley in 1974 riding for Newport and managed to smash the track record! Glad that I saw him ride at Newport (twice if I recall)...a difficult track which he graced with distinction! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Sid, a great rider. I remember when he came to Cowley in 1974 riding for Newport and managed to smash the track record! Glad that I saw him ride at Newport (twice if I recall)...a difficult track which he graced with distinction! 

We always had a load of meeting's against Newport great rivals with Crump,Street,Trigg,Tebby,Mudge etc) good crowds and Newport walloped us a few times great days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tmc said:

Wonder what happened to Dave and where is he now? He is one we would like to interview for Backtrack...

Was speaking to Adam Shields at Cardiff about 9 or 10 years ago and he said his Uncle Dave still had a spin on Matt Shields track. Said Dave's black leathers with the yellow handprint on the bum still fitted him too.

• Like 3