British Speedway Forum
cyclone

The Future of Armadale Stadium

Although this subject has been briefly discussed in the Edinburgh 2018 thread, as this does not relate to actual team building, and in view of its long term importance to the future existence of The Monarchs, I have therefore created this new topic on this specific subject. 
Local Armadale Cllr Stuart Borrowman on Facebook on 28 January at 07:19 posted the following:- 

Council officials are minded to approve the application for 2.7ha of housing at Armadale Stadium.
Officers say the capacity issues at Armadale PS(Primary School) have eased and the stadium is not classified by SportScotland as an outdoor sports facility and "doesn't have the appearance or function of open space."

However Contact has been made with sportscotland on this issue and their response was :- 

sportscotland is aware of the planning application and the potential loss of this facility. We do appreciate that this would impact on the current users of this facility, however sportscotland is not a statutory consultee in this instance, and therefore has no formal remit to comment on the planning application.

We don’t define what is or is not a stadium, that is done by planning legislation, sportscotland don’t have a recognition criteria for stadia.”

Furthermore on sportscotland website the Master List of Sporting Activities and Governing Bodies Recognised by the Sports Councils

( https://sportscotland.org.uk/media/2846/list-of-uk-recognised-ngbs-and-sport-list-october-2017.pdf ) at the bottom of page 3, Speedway is recognised by sportscotland  under the auspices of the Scottish Auto Cycle Union

As the above conflicts with Councillor Borrowman’s public statement re sportscotland, perhaps resident West Lothian Speedway fans could either contact both Mr Borrowman and West Lothian Planning Department, or their local Councillor, to ascertain the source of the misleading statement.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JeremyCorbynFan said:

Housing is a massive problem in this country. 

Why are not we building on the green belt? 90 percent of the land in this country is not built on. 

i see its your turn for use  the brain cell . when does that phillip person want it back ?

15 hours ago, Icicle said:

It's called Ecology & saving the planet.you twit!

Luv it when people say this creature walked the planet 300 millon years ago but we cant build on this field because it might destroy the.planet! Its been here for along time and it will still be here long time after we have gone !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Build on the green belt...why should we care about the future.  

Because we care about now? At some point your house was there and was probably a lovely fields. Why does it matter if the trees and grass areas are in the middle of, for example, Cardiff or on the outskirts?

Why cram more houses into what is current Cardiff thus increasing the traffic and thus the pollution and killing stuff when you could build on the outside of Cardiff and not have the traffic problems? The little birdies and the newts will still have the parks in Cardiff to live in. A house has the same footprint whether its built in park, old factory or the greenbelt, so its a crap argument that you can't build on the greenbelt.

Obviously you can't just randomly build single houses in the middle of the greenbelt but extending existing towns, cities and villages done properly will actually result in less pollution and harm to the environment. As pointed out, over 90% of land in the UK is not built on, even if we doubled the amount of houses, parks, roads and places of work without any inefficiencies it would still only use up 16% of land in total. With modern efficiency it could be less than that. We don't even need it doubling. Just increase it by say 20% and we've still used less than 10% of available land.

As for running out of green spaces, take a look at this....
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/google+maps/@51.7510555,-2.4281219,137881m/data=!3m1!1e3
Tell me we're running out of green space! All I can see it green!

I know I'm in the minority...but I only care about now..cos now is when I'm alive.  The more houses that are built maybe better for me....Maybe if there are loads more houses then maybe my rent my stop going up all the time..or maybe just maybe the price of houses may come down enough so I could afford to buy one and get a mortgage. Very selfish I know...but that's the way I roll.

Just a bit of input from me,..don,t like speedway tracks closing,..still miss the old Perry Barr track

use to have a regular crowd of about 6000.Always a great atmosphere!!!!

Anyway why don,t they try and sell all the houses/flats that are  for sale (as advertised below ... today !!).

before they build any more???

edinb.png

7 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

Just a bit of input from me,..don,t like speedway tracks closing,..still miss the old Perry Barr track

use to have a regular crowd of about 6000.Always a great atmosphere!!!!

Anyway why don,t they try and sell all the houses/flats that are  for sale (as advertised below ... today !!).

before they build any more???

edinb.png

Armadale is approx 30 miles from  Edinburgh though!!!!!!

Edited by Fromafar
  • Haha 1

i heard the edinburgh promotion are trying to buy the houses next to the race track just so they can build a proper race circuit 

only one small problem with building houses on green belt sites is that concrete and bricks will not give us our fresh oxygen  on a daily bases 

that the human race needs to survive . 

without oxygen , we all die , eventually !

wont bother J.C.F. though . i cant remember a blow up doll ever giving birth . same goes for that phi;;ip person . men dont have wombs  ! ! !

4 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

Haven't I read before that Edinburgh were hopeful on a venue near the airport a few years ago? 

Think that fell through.

45 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think that fell through.

At Ingliston.