British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sotonian

Ron Bagley R.I.P

Very sad news indeed. He and John Berry made a formidable pairing during the glory days of 'The Witches'.

May he RIP and no doubt he and John will be meeting up again to relive past glories.

• Like 1

One of the names along with Berry and Louis that I automatically associate with Ipswich.Sad news

RIP

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, iris123 said:

One of the names along with Berry and Louis that I automatically associate with Ipswich.Sad news

RIP

Ron was very instrumental in tutoring and nurturing 'Tiger' Louis and was paired with him in the early days when both rode for 'The Witches'.

Apparently when John Berry was manager of England Ron was also involved but very much in the background. A great tactician when being Team Manager meant something.

• Like 1

Sad news Ron along with John Berry and the Louis family  are all legends, Ipswich speedway running through there veins Ron was  also a very good rider RIP.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Remember Ron riding for Yarmouth against Norwich"B" in the first meeting I ever saw back in 1961.

• Like 1

Like others have rightly pointed out Ron Bagley along with John Berry and John Louis are the names that spring to mind when casting your mind back to the formative days of the current incarnation of Ipswich speedway which began in 1969 on a new track inside the stock car which was the old original speedway track!

Indeed while John Berry is correctly credited with being one of the best promotors ever, the assistance he received from Ron helped him achieve this!

Ron Bagley was one of the few riders who rode on both the outside and inside Ipswich tracks, indeed he rode for the Witches in both eras which I'm not sure anyone else did?

He was instrumental in helping to nurture the careers of Witches legends John Louis, Billy Sanders and Tony "Shrimp" Davey as well as many others in them wonderful years in the 70's.

His team riding with Louis in 1970/71 at Foxhall was masterful!

I recall him starting out at Caister Road, Great Yarmouth riding for the Bloaters alongside Geoff Pymer.

He will also be remembered by older Mildenhall fans cause he was team manager in 1979 when the Fen Tigers won the National League.

He also had a short less fruitful spell trying to turn around the fortunes of an ailing Workington speedway in the early 80's before drifting away from the sport.

Alongside another Ipswich speedway legend, "Noddy", Ron should have a spread in the 1st meeting programme!

If there was an Ipswich Witches speedway hall of fame, then Ron Bagley would be most definitely in it!

Edited by 25yearfan
missed out a word!
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear of this-how old was Ron, I think I recall Ron riding for Sheffield in Provincial League days-am I correct or is my memory playing tricks?

26 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Sorry to hear of this-how old was Ron, I think I recall Ron riding for Sheffield in Provincial League days-am I correct or is my memory playing tricks?

You'll be pleased to know there's nothing wrong with your memory. Ron rode for the Tigers between 1962-4. 

Edited by HertsRacer

17 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Ron was 80