British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

39 minutes ago, SCB said:

Thats confirmed I'll not be attending or watching on TV then. Make sure it fails so we get the real SWC back.

WITH respect I doubt that will be the determining factor. The FIM will look at a much bigger picture.

Much prefer the Pairs to the 4TT format. Actual team racing rather than individuals and different teams in every heat, rather than just the same four.

53 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Much prefer the Pairs to the 4TT format. Actual team racing rather than individuals and different teams in every heat, rather than just the same four.

For me, that's one of the massive negatives of the pairs format compared to the SWC fours format. 

When I'm watching team speedway, I'm supporting a team. In the SWC I watch my team race in every heat. In the pairs they will appear 6 times in the 21 races. So I have 15 races where there isn't direct interest or someone for me to support. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WITH respect I doubt that will be the determining factor. The FIM will look at a much bigger picture.

Which is what?

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Which is what?

How many Poles turn up for event 3.  Because I've been to virtually empty stadiums to watch the race-off in Poland.

I think it is a good move bringing in the pairs but I am concerned with the the Wroclaw track, I haven't seen evidence of any alterations.

On 10/02/2018 at 10:43 AM, Panthers89 said:

Ha bugger! Who else then lol

Ukraine? Andrei Karpov +1 ?

22 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Depends on what nationality Loktaev is that week.

8 hours ago, Col said:

How many Poles turn up for event 3.  Because I've been to virtually empty stadiums to watch the race-off in Poland.

I appreciate that.

But it would have been preferable to remove the third meeting of the SWC ( or come up with another work-around) to deal with that problem. Rather than this.
Although the race off has produced brilliant TV; if it has not been viable to run then it would have been reasonably straightforward to have found three qualifiers going to the SWC Final against the hosts., without a race-off, somehow. Either an extra qualifier (somewhere other than Poland) or highest scoring second team. Perhaps a little innovative thinking could have been used.

Similarly, the two-day final of this hodge-potch is unnecessary if there really is any doubt about the viabilty of the first day. Two rounds and a final. Wham bham.

Why didn't they just try to tinker with the brilliant SWC a little just to get it to work a little better.
Instead of putting it on hold whilst creating a tournament that may have some of the very same issues inherent from the start and (as I believe) introduce other issues that they don't seem to have given much thought to as yet.

Edited by Grand Central

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Which is what?

WHETHER it is deemed a success by all the participating countries who, via the governing body,  are part of the process. 

There are speedway nations who felt no real affinity to the SWC because off a lack of riders (4) but who do think this offers them an opportunity to compete at the highest level. They have a voice.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

been looking at options for getting to Teterow, bit out the way isn't it! Hamburg or Berlin look nearest airports.

get back Sunday then a drive up north by the sound of it

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

There are speedway nations who felt no real affinity to the SWC because off a lack of riders (4) but who do think this offers them an opportunity to compete at the highest level. They have a voice.

A team competition implies a certain strength-of-depth, otherwise why not just have 1-rider teams to allow more countries to be competitive?

There's really only 9 test playing countries, but no-one suggests turning that sport's premier competition into single wicket cricket to make things more competitive.

This best pairs competition just shows a complete lack of imagination and devalues one of the better events in the calendar. There's nothing new or unique about it whatsoever, and whilst it might be tolerable if it alternated with the SWC (as originally indicated), now it seems that it's actually intended to replace the SWC. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Stanislav Melnichuk

Edited by deex
To write his full name

Part of the trouble with football is that the small countries have far too much power within FIFA.That is why we are where we are and have so much trouble and corruption in that sport at world level.

Now we have it from Phil that a similar situation is occurring in speedway.Well it is no surprise.We have a similar situation.We have someone from a small speedway country running the sport and seemingly bowing to similar countries.Italy have no chance of getting far in the SWC and lets be fair this competition hasn't changed their prospects much if at all.Look at the other countries of a similar level and it is the same.But what they have done is out of some selfishness and delusion,spoilt one of the best competitions the sport still had.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevehone said:

been looking at options for getting to Teterow, bit out the way isn't it! Hamburg or Berlin look nearest airports.

get back Sunday then a drive up north by the sound of it

Teterow must have some money knocking around to get these events. As someone who travels abroad watching speedway the logistics of getting there are important to me. Teterow looks like a track in a field in a small town with no hotels or transport infrastructure unless your idea of a good time is driving half way across Germany, which mine isn't . I suppose money will always talk