British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

Teterow I think have some help from the town council as it is a very important part of the town.It is really the hilly grass track that is a major part of the history of the town and although crowds for that are nowhere near the 100,000 it used to attract over a weekend,it is still a major attraction in that part of the world

I think that weekend finances the club and the rest of the season t a large part

Edited by iris123

7 hours ago, stevehone said:

been looking at options for getting to Teterow, bit out the way isn't it! Hamburg or Berlin look nearest airports.

get back Sunday then a drive up north by the sound of it

Yeah, too bad that there are no flights to (Hamburg) Lubeck any more.

Options basically are to fly to Berlin and hire a car at German prices, or to fly to Szczecin and hire a car at Polish prices and approach from the other direction. Either way, it's about a 2 hour drive, but very nice when you get there. Will be in Teterow (& Gustrow) for the Pfingstpokal :-)

LAST time I went was via Hamburg. Not too bad a drive. Have always found cars cheaper to hire in Germany than Sweden or Denmark for example and generally superior models.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

21 hours ago, HenryW said:

For me, that's one of the massive negatives of the pairs format compared to the SWC fours format. 

When I'm watching team speedway, I'm supporting a team. In the SWC I watch my team race in every heat. In the pairs they will appear 6 times in the 21 races. So I have 15 races where there isn't direct interest or someone for me to support. 

Different strokes for different folks, some will like it, some won't

10 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

A team competition implies a certain strength-of-depth, otherwise why not just have 1-rider teams to allow more countries to be competitive?

There's really only 9 test playing countries, but no-one suggests turning that sport's premier competition into single wicket cricket to make things more competitive.

This best pairs competition just shows a complete lack of imagination and devalues one of the better events in the calendar. There's nothing new or unique about it whatsoever, and whilst it might be tolerable if it alternated with the SWC (as originally indicated), now it seems that it's actually intended to replace the SWC. 

But there are a lot more countries who compete in the Cricket World Cup and Twenty20 World Cup. Look at the IRB Rugby Sevens circuit as well. It's a good way for developing nations to get experience playing international competition.

20 minutes ago, topsoil said:

But there are a lot more countries who compete in the Cricket World Cup and Twenty20 World Cup. Look at the IRB Rugby Sevens circuit as well. It's a good way for developing nations to get experience playing international competition.

The Cricket World Cup and T20 World Cup are still 11-a-side competitions.

The IRB Sevens is an addition to, not a replacement for the Rugby World Cup.

Run the Pairs as a second tier competition if you like, but too much of the tail wagging the dog here.  

19 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

LAST time I went was via Hamburg. Not too bad a drive. Have always found cars cheaper to hire in Germany than Sweden or Denmark for example and generally superior models.

yeah looked at car prices from Hamburg and pretty reasonable, just might all depend on the draw now although i'm still thinking of going whatever

something that needs to be thought about from the top is how seeding/grading will work, not just this year but also the future.

if the competition becomes alternate years with the SWC then the pairs seeding/results from one year compared to a full 4 man team could be incredibly different 

Love the SWC but MAYBE  (probably blind hope!) this is a good thing. Making the World Cup every other year at the very least gives the competition some prestige &  keeps it fresh. As much as it has always created great racing, it was just starting to be shunned by some of the top riders and used as a mid season break. And of course we cant deny it looked like any 4/5  man team competition would be won by the Pols for the foreseeable future. (Although ironically Worrell, Cook, Woffy+1 at Belle Vue probably had a cracking shot at winning.)

If however they have ditched it all together for this pairs event then that's insanity. Saddened that Armando is the main protagonist of it all. I know he's coming from the point of view of a smaller Speedway nation but the SWC should not be shunned just so others get a chance to ride on world stage.

23 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The Cricket World Cup and T20 World Cup are still 11-a-side competitions.

The IRB Sevens is an addition to, not a replacement for the Rugby World Cup.

Run the Pairs as a second tier competition if you like, but too much of the tail wagging the dog here.  

Wouldn't mind seeing both competitions run during the season

SoN Rule book is out, if you haven't seen it yet here is the section talking about Scoring
I dont quite understand the dead heat half points though, can anyone translate into common language please :)

image.png.f41f556d24069284a156d126abf6ec0d.png

30 minutes ago, kraftwerk said:

I dont quite understand the dead heat half points though, can anyone translate into common language please :)

I'd refer you to Bryan Seery but he is, sadly, no longer with us. Older fans will remember eh?

You seem to think riders can only score whole numbers of points. Not so. For example if two riders tie for first place they both score 2.5 points. The total points are therefore, the same i.e. 5 points for the first two places. 

11 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I'd refer you to Bryan Seery but he is, sadly, no longer with us. Older fans will remember eh?

You seem to think riders can only score whole numbers of points. Not so. For example if two riders tie for first place they both score 2.5 points. The total points are therefore, the same i.e. 5 points for the first two places. 

oh yes, i thought they were talking about a dead heat between teams. So i guess in the Final if the two teams finish with 3:3 the winner is the one who actually wins that race.

Regarding the dead heat mentioned in the rule book, when was the last time riders split points? I've never seen a ref splitting points.

1 hour ago, kraftwerk said:

Regarding the dead heat mentioned in the rule book, when was the last time riders split points? I've never seen a ref splitting points.

It's always done like that. What do you think they do?

2 hours ago, kraftwerk said:

oh yes, i thought they were talking about a dead heat between teams. So i guess in the Final if the two teams finish with 3:3 the winner is the one who actually wins that race

No, that's a draw.

2 hours ago, kraftwerk said:

It's rare indeed. I think I've seen 2 in 48 years! By comparison, I've seen 1 race where all 4 riders were excluded.

And I believe deadheats are not "allowed" under FIM rules i.e. GPs, SWC, U21 etc. The referee has to declare a result even if the riders cross the line together.