British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

With todays technology it should be straightforward to have reliable photo finish equipment in place to avoid any doubt

5 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

With todays technology it should be straightforward to have reliable photo finish equipment in place to avoid any doubt

We can't even "photo start" let alone finish :blink:

2 hours ago, kraftwerk said:

oh yes, i thought they were talking about a dead heat between teams. So i guess in the Final if the two teams finish with 3:3 the winner is the one who actually wins that race.

NO

Regulation 9.2 states that in the race-off heats and the Grand Final where it ends 3-3 the winner of the race is actually the loser.

It is the second and third that win.

This problem is inherent in a pairs event settled by single races rather than overall points score. And yet we are told that it is the TV people who need a deciding final. I bet the TV bods don't realise this gem of a rule they have been landed with and it's potential consequences.

I know the 4320 scoring often used (but not here) has this effect and other pairs events run with the second and third winning, but really is that consistent with an event having a a deciding single race? I have certainly hated its use over the years.

Surely any method where the guy that wins the Grand final may be deemed the loser of the championship, is bloody bonkers as a crescendo to a 4 day international tournament on TV, especially to outside viewers.

Edited by Grand Central

On 19.2.2018 at 5:45 PM, False dawn said:

No, that's a draw.

It's rare indeed. I think I've seen 2 in 48 years! By comparison, I've seen 1 race where all 4 riders were excluded.

And I believe deadheats are not "allowed" under FIM rules i.e. GPs, SWC, U21 etc. The referee has to declare a result even if the riders cross the line together.

Page 48 in the appendices book. Dead heats are still there and 3 years ago there was one in ice racing wc round.

Draw info:

RACE OFF 1 (Teterow, Germany): Germany, Denmark, Russia, Slovakia, USA, Slovenia and Latvia.

RACE OFF 2 (Manchester, Great Britain): Great Britain, Sweden, Czech Republic, France, Italy, Australia and Finland.

FINAL 1 and 2 (Wroclaw, Poland): Poland, top three Race Off 1, top three Race Off 2.

• Like 1

Race off 1 looks good & interesting. Race off two looks dreadful & a forgone conclusion.

Why is Finland in Manchester and USA in Germany? Actually I have a pretty good guess, but wanted to ask out loud anyway.:D

All the Americans are based in the UK, right? Lunna is the only Finn.

56 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Race off 1 looks good & interesting. Race off two looks dreadful & a forgone conclusion.

The whole thing looks a wash out IMO .Say what you want about WTC but it had its moments.

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Rosco: Hold my clipboard

• Like 2

Still should be some decent riders on show

Woffy

Cook

Lindback

Lindgren

Holder

Doyle

Milik

Covatti

On February 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM, f-s-p said:

Page 48 in the appendices book. Dead heats are still there and 3 years ago there was one in ice racing wc round.

There was one in the 2008 SWC, but the TV graphics could not cope with displaying the half point.  So afterwards BSI decided they could not be awarded in their events,, even though they remained in the FIM rule books.

50 minutes ago, someone said:

There was one in the 2008 SWC, but the TV graphics could not cope with displaying the half point.  So afterwards BSI decided they could not be awarded in their events,, even though they remained in the FIM rule books.

Sounds a bit stupid but what ever. :D 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Sounds a bit stupid but what ever. :D 

Well it is speedway!

I would not be surprised if the main reason the winner of the SON final could end up being the losing team is because they needed something stupid to make up for the loss of the joker rule.

4 hours ago, someone said:

Well it is speedway!

I would not be surprised if the main reason the winner of the SON final could end up being the losing team is because they needed something stupid to make up for the loss of the joker rule.

Just read the speedway of nations rulebook that was written in the past few months. Dead heats and shared points are there...