British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Just imagine if Italy started to offer big money to Polish or Danish speedway riders,or riders from the major countries started turning out for Finland because they didn't get picked for their country?As it is,i still don't see what this new system has done to improve the lot of the lesser countries.You can pretty well pick who isn't going to make it through to the final and with GB,Germany and Poland you have 3 countries who pretty much held a SWC meeting annually......... 

This Speedway of Nations is a innovative and exciting competition that's never been seen before, and will stop Poland winning everything. Those who point out that the World Team Cup used to be run with a pairs + reserve format and with Semi-Finals, and that Team Ice Speedway has always been run over a couple days, are merely being churlish and not getting with the programme... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

... and there are a lot more nations who will take part in this brand new FIM pairs team competition, in fact it is now 15 compared to the 12 we had in the SWC ! Slovenia and Finland return, and Slovakia is a new entry !! Isn't that great ?

I  wonder why Castgana thinks that this SoN will help the smaller speedway nations, especially those struggling badly in Southern Europe (Slovenia, Croatia, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria) and Overseas (Argentina, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand), to find new riders. Why would youngsters there suddenly be eager to take up the Sport, just because we now have a SoN pairs instead of the Speedway World Cup. Most of the above mentioned countries did not take part in the SWC, and most of them dont participate in the new SoN either. 

There should be a development programme by the FIM to help these smaller countires with logistics and knowledge, and if possible money and equipment, as is done in other sports such as Football, Rugby and Cricket.

The Speedway of Nations will achieve nothing at all, it is just blurring the sad fact that many countries are no longer able to track a national team of more than two or three riders.  

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your last chapter is spot on. But the FIM are trying something with the 250cc training camps and such. They also had ice racing training camp but that was scrapped. So even if just a little, give them the credit they might deserve.

16 hours ago, SCB said:

I seriously doubt that. As someone who’s job is TV graphics it is entirely possible that the issue wasn’t thought of initially and so you’re probably right the system couldn’t cope but any half decent and contentment real time graphic provider would have a programmer on site who would have made a change during an ad break and half points would have been added. It’s a really simple change.

But they did not fix the graphics, I think they just omitted the half point and in commentary kept mentioning it could not be shown.

And it was then said afterwards that dead heats would no longer be awarded, presumably in commentary on the next meeting as I am not sure where else I would have read or heard it back then.

I did try looking on YouTube, but unfortunately nothing seems to be on it from that meeting.  It was heat 19 (of 25) in Event 2, Harris and Lindgren splitting second place.

On 9.02.2018 at 8:09 PM, Mark said:

The SWC was very predictable, and will remain that way, while Poland have huge strength in depth.  

It was also predicatble in the 70's when England were winning in 1971-72-73-75- 77, or Denmark for that matter in the 80's

Why nobody objected then that one country was winning year after year

• Like 1

On 4.03.2018 at 5:56 PM, SCB said:

(...) Vaculík is eligible for Slovakia but doesn’t he have a Polish passport and ride in the Polish league as a Pole? 

No he doesn't !.

Thinking of doing the finals. Anyone know when tickets will go on sale?

Edited by Welwyn

The draw for the two first rounds in Teterow and Manchester are out. 

Draw Teterow: USA, Slovakia, Russia, Slovenia, Germany, Latvia and Denmark

Manchester:   Czech Republic, Finland, Great Britain, France, Sweden, Italy and Australia

Source: http://www.espeedway.pl/news,poznalismy_wyniki_losowania_turniejow_barazowych_son,90804,10.html

Woffy available for selection.    Some will moan but I think that is great news.

• Like 1