British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

4 hours ago, Aces51 said:

There are other car parks which fans use but are not supposed to, like the huge cinema car park very close to the stadium. However, unless there is a last minute surge for tickets, I'm not expecting there to be a big crowd so I don't think the Speedway car parks will be full. If you want to be sure I would get there at least an hour before start time.

I'm not sure what equipment needs to be transferred but I suspect that most of the personnel could travel if it was held on the following day. 

It is low key. Belle Vue keep plugging it on social media but I've seen little else to publicise it. As I mentioned before, nobody outside of speedway regulars would know from the name that it is a World Championship event. I shall be there and I am expecting some brilliant racing but it seems to have caused very little excitement even locally and 7pm on a Tuesday is hardly the best time to be holding it. Some are complaining about the ticket costs for the grandstand which are relatively expensive but the cheapest standing is £19 which is similar to the normal entrance fee.

Equipment... rostrum, sponsors backboards, advertising banners and (trust me) lots, lots more.

Following day: what if the first one is rained off?

10 minutes ago, spanner47 said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, I've looked at the majority of pages and haven't seen anything about the dreaded "J" word. With a two day final I suspect they'll want to keep it as close as possible. I haven't gone through this with a fine tooth comb, but I suppose the scores from the first day get added to the second, so if they continue to embarrass the sport by using this awful thing, will each team that falls behind be able to use it on both days? 

No Jokers- i posted the rules and details of the heats a few pages back(page 15). The winning of the whole 2 day  44 races   final is down to 1 final race !!

Edited by racers and royals

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

No Jokers- i posted the rules and details of the heats a few pages back. The winning of the whole 2 day  final is down to 1 final race !!

Thats the joker. Terrible decision.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Equipment... rostrum, sponsors backboards, advertising banners and (trust me) lots, lots more.

Following day: what if the first one is rained off?

I think most tracks have a rostrum or could easily knock one up as for the rest your mentioned items surely BSI could run to two sets, might be cheaper than transporting them. However, I bow to your greater knowledge of the logistics involved in these matters.

As far as the rain off problem is concerned, if the first meeting is rained off the second meeting could be postponed to its rain off date, just as might happen if the Friday meeting in the SWC or SON is rained off.

Edited by Aces51

10 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I think most tracks have a rostrum or could easily knock one up as for the rest your mentioned items surely BSI could run to two sets, might be cheaper than transporting them. However, I bow to your greater knowledge of the logistics involved in these matters.

To be fair.

The 'dressing' of all these things will be dolled up with this 'Monstrous Speedway of Nations' baloney.

Probably most cost effective to make just the one set that can then be chucked away after this year.
Then they can get the SWC stuff back out of storage.
And normal service can be resumed next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

No Jokers- i posted the rules and details of the heats a few pages back(page 15). The winning of the whole 2 day  44 races   final is down to 1 final race !!

Thanks for that. I'm scratching my head to try and come up with the same scenario in another sport. But surely only Speedway could come up with something as unfair as this. I know play offs are a bit unfair on the real champions in many sports, but it's not sudden death like this. 

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

So is Rosco going to pick another Brit so we still have two plus a reserve and if so who ?

I'm sure Bewley will be reserve now

1 hour ago, spanner47 said:

Thanks for that. I'm scratching my head to try and come up with the same scenario in another sport. But surely only Speedway could come up with something as unfair as this. I know play offs are a bit unfair on the real champions in many sports, but it's not sudden death like this. 

AN Olympic final...

6 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Just been checking all the BV home meetings and Dan is the top scoring Brit at BV by a long way, so think you could be right.

Edited by A ORLOV

5 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Hopefully, he'd have been my first choice tbh, alongside Robert to back Tai up

JETTISONING Cook at this stage is extraordinary but sadly symptomatic of the appalling state that British speedway now finds itself in. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Noodles said:

Because this is something new & exciting - something we've never seen before.

Well so far it isn't exciting me that much, it's 'just' Best Pairs under another title and we already have a best pairs championship.  I  didn't see a lot wrong with the Speedway World Cup nor why they couldn't run both side by side and hope the new SON doesn't replace the SWC permanently. That said, I will  be watching as I view as much speedway as possible, mostly on 'the box' it has to be said, and I hope the competition is a success.  Interestingly, and I've mentioned this before, I will watch at least Event 1 on Saturday at my bikers mates' house and they will happily record the Isle Of Man TT programme to watch later as they do enjoy watching Brit Tai Woffinden going handlebar to handlebar with the best in the world....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

IT is also a kick in the teeth for those fans (already many making their voices heard on social media) who bought tickets for BV on the basis of seeing Cook there.

• Like 3