British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

54 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

How can Team UK relay on Craig at the mo.. He pulled out with not notice last time out. He has a problem..He needs help and should be replaced until he is "fixed"

If you're referring to the events on Monday it was nothing to do with pulling out without notice.  What happened was that Craig's flight from Prague was delayed. Determined to get to the NSS for the 12 noon start on Monday he drove into Germany to catch a flight to Stansted, where his van had been left following the meeting at Somerset. He landed and then drove to Manchester, arriving about an hour or so before start time. He had no sleep but took  his first ride and then took ill in the pits. He was seen by the paramedic and was apparently suffering from exhaustion and dehydration and withdrew from the meeting. I suspect that most of us wouldn't even have contemplated going to work after such a journey.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 4

While riders know what they sign up for, who would really after travelling 4 hours or so, p'raps on a hot day, feel up to taking 5 or maybe 6 rides, driving home or to an airport, work on equipment (at least clean and maintain it) maybe make a few changes or repairs, then do the same again.  Rinse, repeat until well tired.  Riders reckon once race fit they mostly can ride 7 nites a week, it's the travelling that tires them out, thought about this a few times I for one need my sleep & really wouldn't fancy it....

What a mess, though not a surprising one sadly.

7 hours ago, Aces51 said:

If you're referring to the events on Monday it was nothing to do with pulling out without notice.  What happened was that Craig's flight from Prague was delayed. Determined to get to the NSS for the 12 noon start on Monday he drove into Germany to catch a flight to Stansted, where his van had been left following the meeting at Somerset. He landed and then drove to Manchester, arriving about an hour or so before start time. He had no sleep but took  his first ride and then took ill in the pits. He was seen by the paramedic and was apparently suffering from exhaustion and dehydration and withdrew from the meeting. I suspect that most of us wouldn't even have contemplated going to work after such a journey.

If it`s not a silly question- his Polish team didn`t have a match on Sunday- so wouldn`t it have been better to catch the early Sunday flight back and he probably would have been home lunchtime Sunday.

8 hours ago, Aces51 said:

It was madness. Even if Cook had a doctor's note for 7 days it obviously didn't cover the meeting, which would mean we couldn't replace him. So why limit your chances by sacking Cook and leaving us with a 2 man team when Lambert as a reserve  can be used at any time. You do have to wonder about Rosco.

Why go into the tournament with a rider who isn't 100% fit, when you have a ready made replacement in the shape of Bewley?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MattK said:

Why go into the tournament with a rider who isn't 100% fit, when you have a ready made replacement in the shape of Bewley?

Apparently the teams had to be declared last week and as such cannot be changed. That's what was put on twitter 

DeeNEgNX0AAOkSq.jpg

8 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Apparently the teams had to be declared last week and as such cannot be changed. That's what was put on twitter 

DeeNEgNX0AAOkSq.jpg

Cook withdrew from a meeting on Monday due to illness.

Only repeating what was on twitter. In an injury prone sport like speedway seems nonsense to me to have to declare a team that far in advance:P

Not sure how us fans are supposed to know what's going on when the GB team manager doesn't appear to know or know the rules:rolleyes::D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattK said:

He was apparently suffering from exhaustion and dehydration for the reasons I have explained. The Belle Vue website referred to it as fatigue. On that basis I can't see any reason whatsoever to think that he wouldn't be 100% recovered long before the SON meeting. 

13 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

AN Olympic final...

Sorry Phil, you'll need a better one than that. The only two day events in the olympics (that I can think of) don't end with a sudden death race off. If the best athlete is way ahead then he/she only has to do "ok" in the final event. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Cook withdrew from a meeting on Monday due to illness.

But, crucially, without a sick note.  So no replacement allowed under SON rules. 

At over £100 for seats for me ,the Mrs and our son I think I will give it a miss, if anybody thinks that’s a bargain there is a place on the british speedway management comitee waiting for you 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cook's form against the big guns hasn't been great.

On Tuesday he'll get his first ride, if it's a duff one Lambert will ride the rest of the meeting. 

14 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

At over £100 for seats for me ,the Mrs and our son I think I will give it a miss, if anybody thinks that’s a bargain there is a place on the british speedway management comitee waiting for you 

It's bsi prices. Nothing to do with British speedway

5 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

It's bsi prices. Nothing to do with British speedway

Yes I know but british speedway is perfectly experienced in overpricing it’s product, hence why the person would suitable ,humour is never good when you have to explain it